• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Installing signage - Whats the best position in relation the the Tee box

Seth Burton in WV used to have them on the tee pads which was absolutely terrible. They have since cut them all off and moved them away.

b5026b95.jpg

RHBH In Crisis. Meetings every Sunday at 11 AM. $5, $7 w/mulligans. :p

Oh crap, that was my 1,000th post. :D

I did play 2 new courses today.

Last edited:
Off the back is way better in my opinion. I can't stand a tee sign thats up front and the thought of my hand hitting it crosses my mind on the tee. Having it face the direction of the trail you're coming from is nice too. Who needs to stare at the sign when they're on the tee?

At the transition point where the path from the previous hole opens into the teeing area.

I usually put them about 5ft. to the left or right of the front of the teebox, just depending on which side works best for a particular hole.

The further off the tee pad the better, at lest six feet, (same goes for benches, trash cans or other tee area features).

Also keep them out of anything that might be considered a run-up lane, and I've seen some folks take some very lateral run-ups on some holes.

It's great to have unlimited runup space, but if you have a tight space I would much rather be limited behind the pad than in front. I can deal with a shortened teeing area, but worrying about smacking my hand on a follow through is awful.

I like something near the pad, whether it being in front or behind, but near enough that in wintertime it is easy to find and shovel. Regardless of location, I do not like anything that can impede my throwing motion, specifically my hand or arm.

I am not going back all three pages of this thread, but I am sure that I previously mentioned that if it must be tall, having a strong bag-holder hook (or a few) would be a wonderful addition.

Apparently, it's tough to achieve consensus among us for what seems like the simplest of things. :rolleyes:

I think Mash is right: when forced to deal with limited space, avoiding possible follow through issues is more important cramping somoene's run-up.
Smarkquart mentioned they don't need to be more than 2-3 feet tall - I'd agree - that can help eliminate follow-through whack.
1978 had several practical knowledge, real world, been there done that points.

I can see advantages to either front or back, but on the back of the pad also allows the group to see and read the sign as the person is teeing off.

At my home course the tee sign has a scorecard writing area (which is also used as a bag holder) AND a broom holder. So these things all make sense to have at the back of the pad. They are also never an issue to be hit by a disc or hand, leg, etc.. when off the back of the pad. So all things equal my preference is off the back of the pad.

One thing to take into account which I've seen overlooked: Make sure if there are separate signs for short teepads, the sign is not in the way of a throw from the long teepad.

Good luck!

It's great to have unlimited runup space, but if you have a tight space I would much rather be limited behind the pad than in front. I can deal with a shortened teeing area, but worrying about smacking my hand on a follow through is awful.

Hmm... I would rather have it right in front that right behind. A longer run up space allows everyone to use their normal run up, but if you are worried about smacking your hand on the sign, just move back and throw from halfway back on the tee.

Hmm... I would rather have it right in front that right behind. A longer run up space allows everyone to use their normal run up, but if you are worried about smacking your hand on the sign, just move back and throw from halfway back on the tee.

I just don't think that it's that big a deal for someone to have to shorten their runup on a hole or two. I don't at all like sign or tree positions that are in the actual throwing space for a specific type of throw. Forcing stand and deliver on a hole is much better imo than giving people a tee space but threatening broken hands if they use all of it.

I have seen discs badly damaged from tee signs in front of tee pad, definitly not the best placement

My comments posted on the PDGA.Com site. My experience in building, designing courses, replacing and repairing and relocating signs.

In front of the pad is best. Off to the left or right.
1. you can see what you are throwing and the distance without having to get back off the pad.

2. A good distance in front at a diagonal from the pad eliminates issues where signs or posts are in the way of runups.
3. People kick the first thing they see when they throw a bad shot. I have seen tons of foot prints on signs. Location close to the tee or at the back of the pad leads to destroyed signs.
4. signs at the back of the pad are drawn on by players while they wait at back ups or for other people to throw.
5. People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

I think signs are best viewed from the pad (which means you can view them from behind the pad too)

Thread:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34987

15' forward 5-8' left or right, if you hit it ... really?

If you give it that much room, then it's really pretty irrelevant to most disc golfers where it's placed. You only get complaints (from non-designers) when it's placed where it directly interferes with the throw.

I just don't think that it's that big a deal for someone to have to shorten their runup on a hole or two. I don't at all like sign or tree positions that are in the actual throwing space for a specific type of throw. Forcing stand and deliver on a hole is much better imo than giving people a tee space but threatening broken hands if they use all of it.

A player should never be forced to choose between stand and deliver and risk of a broken hand. Using the tee-sign as a way to manipulate how players throw just seems wrong.

Wow. One local course where I live is called emerald park. The tee signs are only about a foot or two off the ground and out of the way when throwing. If I wasnt typing this on my nook, I'd link a picture. Another course has the tee signs several feet to the left in the middle of the teepad and parallel to the tee pad(meaning you can read it while on the tee throwing rhbh) and I haven't had any problems with that setup. Crappy tee sign placement pisses me off, especially when it is in the follow through area.

A player should never be forced to choose between stand and deliver and risk of a broken hand. Using the tee-sign as a way to manipulate how players throw just seems wrong.

I agree, my point was how I would prefer to see the choice made when installers do insist on putting the sign right at the tee.