• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentionally breaking in a disc

Hakú

Why mess around with something that's too OS, when you can break it in to it's preferred sweet spot? Save a tree though! I've found flicking down onto a hard ground works well. Cement with carpet get's it done quick haha

The legality of this has been hotly debated on DGCR with no clear consensus.
(But there was a lot of name-calling and some hurt feelings.)

Most people think it's perfectly fine, me included.

Just buy more understable discs...

:hfive: Why subject your game to a variable that is not needed. With the tons of molds available, why not just find one that behaves the way you wish, buy it in high end plastic. That way it will resist changing flight characteristics and is a dependable disc for an extended period of time. I am an old man, I don't have 75 extra throws in my arm to be cranking a disc at a wall, or floor.

Unless your Kung Fu Master has you attempting to put your disc through a plank a la Kill Bill as a strengthening exercise or what have you than I don't see this as being very metal, or practical for that matter.

IMHO, the best way to break in a disc is play some rounds with it. This way you bond with it. Stability is not a factor. You want OS, buy an OS disc and work with it. Want something less stable then buy something less stable and work with that. I'm a big fan of premium plastic. It might take a little longer to season but it will stay in the sweet spot for much, much longer. And get a mold that will be a round. It sucks and can get quite costly to replace that OOP disc.

Like I said, just my 2¢.

I have thought about doing this, but I worry the artificial wear on it would give it weird throwing characteristics. I kind of like getting to know the disc as it wears in too.

Dryer sent on cool/cold setting. You my need to upgrade your dryer and your wife will be pretty mad that disc are in the dryer. I got the front load Whirlpool Duet with matching Washer and the stands. Rather pricey, but it gets the job done and my wife liked the upgrade. Super Delicate setting/Air only. Yes, you can program this one. If yours is the old dumpy kind, don't try it. Could end up with a large lump of plastic.

Yes, it makes noise. If you do a lot of them it makes a lot of noise. Set it for 70 minutes and go play a round. Also, send your wife out shopping cause the noise will drive her nuts. When you get back it's done...

The other option.... you spend weeks/months throwing them at things.....

Or buy used disc.....

If you could only intentionally break in 3 discs for the rest of your life what would they be? And how?

It depends. Its hard to say, I know one of them would either have to be a Roc or a Buzzz? I wonder what the difference is and which one would be better? Maybe someone should start a thread :popcorn: