• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Interference or not?

When players are in a certain position before throwing, they have "intentionally" taken those positions. Any movement after the throw is released could be seen as intentional. Staying in place should not be seen as an intentional choice since it was already made before knowledge of where the disc would fly and not moving around when someone is throwing is part of the internal courtesy of the game itself.

It's in the hands of the RC so we'll hope to hear from them within a week or so.

Cool. I remember arguing about this before now where someone was arguing that to move out of the way could be a penalty. I don't remember the full situation...

Interesting note - I've talked to a few people about this in the past few days. The general thoughts have been from amateurs have been that it wasn't good to do, but they guess it's ok. The thoughts from high rated pros has been that this is why it is good to know the rules of the game and thought it was a good thing for the player to do (or really, not do).

That wasn't an argument, I was being facetious. I like the rule as is.

Yeah, but a straw man argument is still an argument.

I've seen some crazy rolls and ricochets, so standing still seems like the only rule that is unambiguous, thus avoiding the interpretation of a competitor's intent.

I'm going to preface my take with the following.
In both ball and disc golf I(as well as many others) believe that knowing the ins and outs of the rules, what you can do, can't do, what you can and can't move,where and when relief can be taken, etc..... can give you a huge advantage this is my take away after almost 7 pages

^^^Sorry about the prevous half post

So, what I've learned over the last 7 pages is this.
On uphill putts it's in my best interest to cluelessly place my bag, a water bottle maybe my collapsed stool across the fall line of the most likely path of a roll-away.
If I take shot and my disc rolls back down the hill and is stopped by my bag(which, by most interpretions I should NOT try to move while the disc is rolling at it lest I accidentally hit it in the process and incure an interferance penalty(kinda ironic)) I simply play it as it lies, no penalties usless someone in my group previously asked me to not put my crap on the downhill side of a putt AND gave me a courtsey warning for it.

If I am miss interpreting this please clarify.

^^^Sorry about the prevous half post

So, what I've learned over the last 7 pages is this.
On uphill putts it's in my best interest to cluelessly place my bag, a water bottle maybe my collapsed stool across the fall line of the most likely path of a roll-away.
If I take shot and my disc rolls back down the hill and is stopped by my bag(which, by most interpretions I should NOT try to move while the disc is rolling at it lest I accidentally hit it in the process and incure an interferance penalty(kinda ironic)) I simply play it as it lies, no penalties usless someone in my group previously asked me to not put my crap on the downhill side of a putt AND gave me a courtsey warning for it.

If I am miss interpreting this please clarify.

I'd recommend taking several bean bag chairs along.

Player A has uphill put and places bag next to him.
Player A putts, hits basket and watches his putter roll back towards him and his bag and does nothing to prevent putter from hitting his bag.
Player A thinks he can putt again from where his bag stopped his rolling putter.
Player B (me) says Whaaaaaat! (dave chappele style)
What is the ruling on said throw?

I just played an A tier and this happened to me but slightly different from yours. In my situation, I dinked the rim on an uphill putt from 15 feet out and it instantly rolled down and hit my bag (there was no possible way to move my bag in time, unlike the guy in your situation). Everyone on my card EXCEPT me said it was a 2 stroke penalty. The TD director agreed with me and said that because it was unintentional AND the card agreed that it was impossible for me to move my bag quick enough that there was no penalty. However, if it was possible to move the bag, then it would have been a penalty he said.

I just played an A tier and this happened to me but slightly different from yours. In my situation, I dinked the rim on an uphill putt from 15 feet out and it instantly rolled down and hit my bag (there was no possible way to move my bag in time, unlike the guy in your situation). Everyone on my card EXCEPT me said it was a 2 stroke penalty. The TD director agreed with me and said that because it was unintentional AND the card agreed that it was impossible for me to move my bag quick enough that there was no penalty. However, if it was possible to move the bag, then it would have been a penalty he said.

Sounds like it was handled just right. Everyone was in consensus that there was no intent behind you leaving your bag there and that it was a fluke that the disc collided with the bag. No penalty is the correct call.

Sounds like it was handled just right. Everyone was in consensus that there was no intent behind you leaving your bag there and that it was a fluke that the disc collided with the bag. No penalty is the correct call.

Although I agree I technically should have moved my bag but no one asked me to do so.

Although I agree I technically should have moved my bag but no one asked me to do so.

As in moved it before you threw so it wasn't in a position to stop a potential rollaway? Sure, I agree you should have moved it or not placed it there in the first place.

Though I don't think anyone has to ask you to move it in order for you to be expected to move it pre-throw. A case could be made that simply acknowledging it might be in the way, even if it's only in your own mind, is evidence that leaving it there was intentional and you would deserve a penalty if it did interfere with the disc. IMO, players should always be assumed to be doing the right thing by rule, so you'd have to admit that you considered the possibility of interference to be penalized. Since no one can read your mind, it's really only your own integrity determining your fate in such a case.

As in moved it before you threw so it wasn't in a position to stop a potential rollaway? Sure, I agree you should have moved it or not placed it there in the first place.

Though I don't think anyone has to ask you to move it in order for you to be expected to move it pre-throw. A case could be made that simply acknowledging it might be in the way, even if it's only in your own mind, is evidence that leaving it there was intentional and you would deserve a penalty if it did interfere with the disc. IMO, players should always be assumed to be doing the right thing by rule, so you'd have to admit that you considered the possibility of interference to be penalized. Since no one can read your mind, it's really only your own integrity determining your fate in such a case.
Do you know if the pdga has ever addressed this rule or thought about putting it in the rule book?

If any part of this scenario gets clarified in the rule book, I believe it's more likely that leaving your equipment and bodies in the same position once the throw is released will become the correct protocol and you only move if you fear potential bodily harm in being struck, not so much by a rollaway but a drive coming your way perhaps from another hole.

Do you know if the pdga has ever addressed this rule or thought about putting it in the rule book?

They already have.
804.03 Interference
F. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

The rule clearly states that players shall not leave equipment where it could interfere with a disc in play. The penalty is only applicable to intentional interference. So if a player leaves his equipment where interference could occur and does so with the recognition that interference could occur by doing so, I'd argue that there is an intent to interfere in the player's action.

Of course, it comes down to whether or not the player admits that was their thinking, since other players can't be expected to and shouldn't be attempting to read minds. Hence the mention of integrity.

If any part of this scenario gets clarified in the rule book, I believe it's more likely that leaving your equipment and bodies in the same position once the throw is released will become the correct protocol and you only move if you fear potential bodily harm in being struck, not so much by a rollaway but a drive coming your way perhaps from another hole.

If this rule is instituted, it will be broken frequently. It's simply in our nature to try to get out of the way when it's reasonable to do so. No one is going to want to stand there and just watch a disc slowly roll into their foot.

What remedy does the thrower have if another perhaps belligerent player in the group says he is not going to move his cart (let's say bad blood brewing during round)? This extends to the Catrina incident at TX States where the player who owned the car blocking her stance was not able to move his car? The penalty to the player with the equipment is simply a courtesy warning. But Catrina could not take relief moving backwards per the casual relief rule. Is the thrower just screwed being forced to take an Optional Rethrow penalty and moving back to their previous lie if they can't get the object moved or the player to move it (short of a fight)?

If this rule is instituted, it will be broken frequently. It's simply in our nature to try to get out of the way when it's reasonable to do so. No one is going to want to stand there and just watch a disc slowly roll into their foot.
The current rule is broken already depending on your interpretation. At least the correct procedure would be clarified. It's cleaner to say stay in place and keep equipment in place unless physically threatened versus saying get out of the way and your equipment, too, if possible. That would seem harder to consistently adjudicate than whether a player was at risk from injury.

...It's cleaner to say stay in place and keep equipment in place unless physically threatened versus saying get out of the way and your equipment, too, if possible. That would seem harder to consistently adjudicate than whether a player was at risk from injury.

Yes, Especially if the potential rule states "remaining still shall not be contituted as interference even if touched by a disc in play. Moving and making contact with the disc in play DOES place the player in danger of being called for interference."

Latest posts