• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iron Hill!

Whoever said they had the first review of Iron Hill ("Iron Hell") as I called it was wrong. I guess I should take another look at it with shorter tees there. The pro tees were just way too long for my game. Maybe it'll get me to change my mind. I hope the course is better marked too.

I noticed this course on the mid-atlantic events schedule. Can anybody tell me what deuces on the hill doubles is? Is it a tournament? If so, are there newb divisions and how much do they cost?

Its a weekly doubles every Sunday, so you play on a team with another player and typically take the best shot of both throws. Most doubles are random draw for partners with pros being matched with ams and you actually have a good shot at winning being a newb that will likely be with one of the top pros. I don't know the cost, but most doubles are $5 or less to enter.

Oh, we have that at my local course too. I thought because this week alone is listed on the mid atlantic events calendar, that it might be something bigger/more formal than that.

http://www.madisc.org/schedule

But are you sure you're talking about the same thing, with this being on a Saturday, and the only event at Iron Hill listed in July or August?

It does appear to be something different, but it still says a doubles event Sat 8/22/09 with no other info available.

I noticed this course on the mid-atlantic events schedule. Can anybody tell me what deuces on the hill doubles is? Is it a tournament? If so, are there newb divisions and how much do they cost?

Yes that is a doubles tournament. There will be Pro/Advanced/Am divisions. Not sure on prices or any other details yet, but keep an eye here and the DDG page.

I thought I'd give a little update on the course. First I have read all your reviews, talked to a lot of other people who have played the course and listened to both the good and the bad.

We had hoped to get the next set of tee pads completed by this winter, but with the weather we had this winter we have put that on hold till this summer. We have begun installing a second set of baskets. At this time we have 18 Baskets in the long pins with 12 baskets in shorter pins. We have roped off the creek between 3 and 4 O.B. We have also installed numerous next tee signs as well as some directional arrows for the long par 4 and 5's.

At this time we have 5 par 3's, 9 par 4's, 3 par 5's and 1 par 6. The gold to gold par 72 is always in place as well as a much more manageable par 62. By the end of the year we hope to have the other sets of tee pads completed as well as the other 6 baskets installed. I encourage any one who hasn't played it in a while to come back and see how far we've come and for a glimpse of were we are heading. Once again all reasonable input good and bad are listened to and given consideration.

After reading some of the initial reviews, I told myself that it wouldn't be worth the trip to IH and that I might go in a few years when it opens up a bit. Someone finally convinced me to go last year and I was mad at myself for not going sooner. Iron Hill is great! It is a very demanding course that requires concentration the whole time. After a few rounds, I realized the key is to forget about drivers and power on most holes and just midrange your way to the basket. IH may be crueling but it is fair in my book. The only other course similar to it is Quaker's Challenge at Pinchot. Unfortuneatly, QC is 2.5 hours away so I don't play it that often.

this is what I said about IH in a different thread:

After playing more than 20 years, I'm tired of hitting trees...

I waited just recerntly to play Iron Hill even though I'm only about one hour from it since I've heard how tight it can play. In late December, I didn't find it all that tight (playing about half the holes from the short tees), the fairways were "fair" and I didn't complain about them. It might a lot different when things are in bloom and leaves are on the trees.

btw, I played Idlewild last April and was glad it wasn't summer then seeing some of their tight fairways.

Latest posts