• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it bad when you wanna move for better courses?

What courses have you played? Have you played Phantom Falls, Beaver Ranch, or Red Feather Lakes? High Plains Challenge was in Fort Morgan this year and I heard it was tough.

Pueblo City Park is a great course, has some good holes like what you're looking for (about half of them), and it's got length to make up for it on the more open holes.

Here in the Springs, Widefield is similar to Pueblo City Park. Good amount of foliage with an even mix of technicality and length. Cottonwood is overrun with shirtless high schoolers, but it's actually a fun course with a healthy amount of foliage in the summer. But you'll come to expect to be under par there, it's short. Or if you like trees, try coming down to Sakuna Pines. I'm only a couple minutes away from it.

I haven't played any of the Denver courses, so it's tough to make comparisons unless you can tell me which ones you don't like so I can look them up.

On Friday I'm moving house from eastern Sacramento/foothills to Santa Cruz. I live in a fantastic disc golf region now, and I'm moving to another fantastic disc golf region. I'll have to let you all know which region is better, after I have lived in Santa Cruz for a little while. Last weekend my wife and I played a bunch of Tahoe and foothill courses, we just wanted to do them over a beautiful weekend before we move 3 hours away.

One thing for sure that's good is that I'll be living in Santa Cruz for Worlds 2011! This means huge parties at my place every night, and getting to see all my disc golf buddies visiting from out-of-town. This is a huge plus. But I hear that Tahoe might be in line for a Worlds soon, as well. I guess that'll give me an excuse to go back there again.

uNicedmeMan said:
backswing said:
The DG scene in Austin was the kicker for my wife and I moving here instead of Cambridge, Maryland.

But dude....

That's exactly where the wife would have been working. The Hyatt outside of Austin just had it's tiny little 9 holer redesigned by Michael Olse into a cool 18 hole pitch and putt with some good holes.

Monocacy said:
I like where we live, so I would rather the good courses move closer to me. :wink:

Coursewise the Baltimore metro area is pretty good imo. Within 45 minutes I can be at Druid, Rockburn, Patapsco, Scarboro, in a hour or so I can get out to Seneca, Codorus, Whispering Falls, Iron Hill. It's still growing too, there are at least three new courses currently in the works.

I've considered many times moving to Bowling Green Ky just for the disc golf. Well, and the prospect of working at WKU.

maks said:
emiller3 said:
Or if you like trees, try coming down to Sakuna Pines. I'm only a couple minutes away from it.

that is what im talkin about...i might have to make a trip over there.

thanks i was looking for something like that.
If you like it, definitely check out the other Denver area courses I mentioned. Beaver Ranch is particularly good.

uNicedmeMan said:
Coursewise the Baltimore metro area is pretty good imo. . . .
I agree, Baltimore + Seneca includes a variety of fine courses. Whispering Falls and Codorus are within an hour's drive, but I have yet to make the time. I would also love to take a Delaware road trip to play Iron Hill, Carousel, and maybe Scarboro Hills.

I just wish I didn't have to drive 30 – 45 minutes to play a good course. On the other hand, I love my 10 minute commute to work. 8)

Have you tried the relatively new Badlands course? I think it was called Blair Witch Project. Reviews said it was "wooded" but I haven't played it or even Badlands so I don't know what that means. Sakuna that emiller mentioned is very similar to Conifer (or Beaver Ranch, whatever you wanna call it). If you want to play Sakuna with me (maybe miller, can't speak for him), shoot me a PM a week or two before you come down, and provided it's a weekend we could probably get out and show you the course (just make sure it's not the dead of winter and covered in snow :p). Sakuna is by far the most heavily wooded course I've ever played (albeit my playlist is limited to about 10-15 courses, but still). Conifer is just behind it in the thickness of trees, but in my opinion it's a more rounded course.

n3tw0rkn3rd said:
Have you tried the relatively new Badlands course? I think it was called Blair Witch Project. Reviews said it was "wooded" but I haven't played it or even Badlands so I don't know what that means. Sakuna that emiller mentioned is very similar to Conifer (or Beaver Ranch, whatever you wanna call it). If you want to play Sakuna with me (maybe miller, can't speak for him), shoot me a PM a week or two before you come down, and provided it's a weekend we could probably get out and show you the course (just make sure it's not the dead of winter and covered in snow :p). Sakuna is by far the most heavily wooded course I've ever played (albeit my playlist is limited to about 10-15 courses, but still). Conifer is just behind it in the thickness of trees, but in my opinion it's a more rounded course.
When I am done with him he will know ALL ABOUT the Blair Witch.

the blair witch has a lot of trees in play but it's not really in the woods. while badlands is indeed the best course in denver, i doubt it will satisfy what he's looking for. sakuna and beaver ranch are the best choices for that i reckon.

I've often considered moving away from the twin cities because of the abundance of courses and lack of good cheap land. In 2-3 years So. Dakota is looking really good to me. The sooner I can get building 27 on my own land the better. When you think about it, living in one place for a long time can make you tired of the same courses even if there are 15 pretty near you.

In 5 years watch out, I'll probably be griping about the lack of people to play with.

Torg said:
I've often considered moving away from the twin cities because of the abundance of courses and lack of good cheap land. In 2-3 years So. Dakota is looking really good to me. The sooner I can get building 27 on my own land the better. When you think about it, living in one place for a long time can make you tired of the same courses even if there are 15 pretty near you.

In 5 years watch out, I'll probably be griping about the lack of people to play with.

Mr Torg

My hat is off to you for having a brain and the right attitude. Moving to a city because of better DG courses is like moving to Vegas because you like to get laid. Forget about the family needs, the schools, the weather, the economy, the political climate, the cultural diversity....

Much better to build the scene in an area that meets the "important needs" of your family. Here in New Orleans, we are almost finished installing a course in City Park. I will strangle the next person that plays through our work day and can only ask "When will the course be finished?"

steve 1/2-a-noob timm

YO MAKS,
For whatever reason it is not allowing me to PM you so I will post this here. The group of bros I play with usually are playing Badlands 27 tomorrow at 8am. You should join us if you are feeling the spirit move you. I left you my phone # in the last PM I was able to get through so if you have any questions you can get at me. Hope to see you there!