• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Cheating?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, find a local and play with them to learn the course if it's really that bad. I ding courses in my reviews for poor navigation, but I wouldn't stay away from a tournament because of it.

Just a thought, or maybe a for future reference. If you go to the course page, you can see who has played there, and you can see if there are any course guides. I don't know which courses your tournament was played at, but that is a great place to start. Find out who's a local, and ask them some questions about the course. Perhaps they can come out and meet up with you to show you around. I know all about that "First time frustration", the only way to deal with it is to play it all the way through. Otherwise just ask the guys you are playing with. Tell them... "Hey, you may have to point me in the right direction on a couple of these holes." If they are local, then they are probably privy to the "problem holes". ...I'm just sayin! :)

...but no, it's not cheating. It's called "Home field advantage!" :D;)

...but no, it's not cheating. It's called "Home field advantage!" :D;)

Definitely. I've played tournies blind, and there were holes where after I took my shot I watched all the locals take a non-obvious route that was way easier that you would only know if you threw there often, but it's not cheating for them to use their knowledge of their home course at all.

When you go to practice, find a local to throw with. It's not that hard to find someone to "show you the ropes", and you might make a friend in the process. As for the drive, get a motel room. If you book in advance, you can get some good deals these days. Your time is more valuable than money...

If it bothers you this much, maybe disc golf tourneys just aren't your thing.

my money is that you wont place first and will proceed to bitch and moan and whine about how they cheated here...:rolleyes:

i sincerely hope kirvin DOES win his division by 5/10 strokes just to make you look like a dick.

i bet you're a blast to play with apoth.

jesus.

I would still play the tourney. It will be an experience, once you play there set up, you may like it.

I doubt there will be a 145' par 4. But if there is, Ace or Eagle it!

Play it, we'd love to here your post tourney review.

dude wants his money back because he doesnt know the course. that may be the most diva thing ive ever heard.

i call it like i see it.:\

dude wants his money back because he doesnt know the course. that may be the most diva thing ive ever heard.

i call it like i see it.:\

No I'm just pissed because the course is impossible to follow and I wasted a day and gas money trying to learn the course in vain. It would be nice to have a local show me around and show me the different shots available on each hole. That would be like a hometown advantage. I don't even have the benefit of knowing the proper layout before-hand, even if I spend the time, energy and cash to pursue this knowledge. It is reasonable to assume that a course is going to be easy enough to follow for a first timer. Most courses have a sign or two missing but after a little looking around you should be able to figure it out. This was not the case. By the course being this confusing and not having signs up, the hometown advantage goes way the hell up there.

(1) Withdraw if the circumstances don't satisfy you. Refund should be no problem. Especially if you give TD plenty of notice.

(2) Learn from the experience and re-commit yourself to making sure your local course has good signage, maps, etc. for visitors, and in the tournaments that you run, remember that there are first-time players and plan accordingly.

Dont know the courses your playing, but if one of them is an open field, that might be why they are playing different courses each day. That way the one with no shade you wont have to play in the afternoon.

It is reasonable to assume that a course is going to be easy enough to follow for a first timer.

haha, are you naive or have just never played a new course before? I've played a decent amount of courses that would be impossible to follow without a guide. Hell, some of the best courses I've ever played are hard to follow without a guide, Renny Gold and The Web layout at Hornet's Nest come to mind as hard to follow courses until you know them.

There are some poorly laid out DG courses out there and you should take the appropriate steps to ensure you can find your way around the course the first time you go there.

Dont know the courses your playing, but if one of them is an open field, that might be why they are playing different courses each day. That way the one with no shade you wont have to play in the afternoon.

There are a variety of reasons this is sometimes done. Among those I've seen have been:

* Non-disc-golf activities in the same park, making it desirable to, say, not be there on Saturday afternoon.

* Flipping the coures on each day so, for example, you play Course A in rounds 1 & 4, Course B in rounds 2 & 3, so the players meeting and awards ceremony take place in the same course, using the same, perhaps best, facilities.

We have a tournament here for which both reasons apply.....so we have an extra-long lunch as we drive between courses each day.

Good luck, Kevin. This is a lousy situation; but there's nothing really that you can do but suck it up for the tourney. Look at it as an adventure. One thing I would note though; especially if you do end up playing on a lead card; is that YOU need to know where you're going. Since they are forcing you to go for a players meeting the day before the tourney; I'm assuming this is a pretty big shindig. Therefore, they should have course maps for you at that player's meeting. If not, make sure someone puts something together for you. I know it sounds far fetched, but there are players out there that will lead you to a wrong hole if you're in the running with one of their "homies." Playing the wrong hole in a tourney will basically cost you the tourney. I've been there, done that, don't let it happen to you...

As for poorly marked courses...they are all over the place. As Mr. Sauls pointed out; take this lesson to your home courses and try to make sure traveling player's experiences at your courses are more enjoyable than yours was there. It is also true, that, for various reasons, some of the best courses are poorly marked.

The combination of poorly-signed courses and a Friday players meeting does seem rather odd. I can't imagine a Friday check-in / players meeting for anything but the biggest tournaments....and you'd expect such a tournament to have the courses in top condition, even add temporary signs if need be.

What courses/tournament are you talking about?

If I had to guess, it would be this tournament...

Lexington Open XII

And these courses....

Shillito Park
Veterans Park

There were originally supposed to be three courses, but they omitted one due to conditions and are opting to add temp holes to the remaining two if necessary (good luck getting practice a week ahead of time on those), so yes, this is supposed to be a big event.

he's talking about the lexington open on course 1 (shilito park) and course 2 (veterans park). They have just re-designed shilito park and have not yet got signs up on every hole and have not made a new map. But it is not that hard to navigate shilito. Also, there are normally several regulars on the course at all times, just ask if you're not sure. Only spot that is at all dificult to find is going from hole 8 to hole 9 where you have to pass up another teepad that you have already played along the way. Veterans park has some recreational tee signs, with very generous pars for shorter holes, but if you're any good at all you would not go by course par, and instead play everything as par 3's as will be the case in the tournament. On most holes there is a clearly defined path to the basket, and in most cases you are able to see the basket from the tee, so there should be no issue.. as quoted earlier "shut up and throw your disc"

Just caught this post this morning.
Ok I'll explain some things that are going on as far as the courses and the tournament.
1) Shillito - We lost a few holes due to a paved walking trail that was/is being installed running right through the middle of some holes. It was a raw deal that the city would decide to do this but luckily we were able to save the course by adding/deleting/shifting a few holes around to avoid any future ramifications from lawsuits.
As part of the deal the redesign budget got piggybacked onto the trail budget so the city is paying for it completly. This includes new pads/pin placements for all effected holes. Also in the deal we are supposed to get all new tee signs for both Shillito and Veterans Park.

All of this was supposed to be done no later than April 2010, well before the Open as I was very adamant about making sure there was ZERO construction during the tournament. As you can see that didn't happen. :wall: Out of everyone involved I'm probably the most pissed as such as I, 1) am the Main TD this year of the Lexington Open, 2) being the Co-Designer of the re-design I take all of the criticism personally but also with a grain of salt.

The main problem right now it the lack of signage, as noted, for both courses. We will have temp signage up before the tournament. I am actually supposed to be meeting with Parks and Rec today to pick up the temp tee sign posts and get them in the ground. I'm sort of leery about doing this at this time because of the punks who like to rip stuff out of the ground but I agree it needs to be done. the Temp signs will be attached Thursday as to minimize theft/vandalism. For right now the best thing for me to do is mark the tees with paint and make sure the next tee signage is up.

Once again I apologize personally for your bad experience you incurred at Shillito.

Now...Veterans Park
The main issue, and this has been the case for many years, is the lack of/poor signage. As stated above getting new signage for Vets is in the works but since the city is in control of this, we are at the mercy of the bureaucratic wheel. In the mean time we'll have temp signage up for the tornament(and before) but I don't want to get it up too early as it'll get torn down and thrown around. So the signage will be up again by Thursday.

I am a guide for both courses so if you need help finding your way about please feel free to give me a shout out and I'll show you around.

ok one sec got a call...

Ill be back to explain the friday sign up.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts