• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it possible to damage a disc with hot dye

tuii100

Hello, I did my first dye yesterday and basically I boiled water then put it in a cakepan, stirred in some dye then let my disc soak for 30 minutes. The dye is vivid and looks good but I fear my plastic may be a little more flimsy now, its an innova champion boss. Anyway I'm just wondering if I ruined my disc or not. Thanks!

If you can't tell whether it is ruined or not, then its not.

But in the future I would keep the temp lower. I've never got anywhere close to boiling.

We used to boil our skateboard wheels to try to make them softer. I was never convinced that it did anything, but it sounds like it may work to make certain discs softer, eh? I wonder if it could turn Zero Hard into Zero Med/Soft, or maybe KC Pro into R-Pro?

I try to keep my dye at a temp that I can touch it. Had it near boiling on my first dye and the flight plate never re-gained its stiffness.

I like to bring my dye to a boil first, it's my superstition that this gives me a better color, but then I let it cool off until I don't see steam anymore before I put my disc in.

I like to bring my dye to a boil first, it's my superstition that this gives me a better color, but then I let it cool off until I don't see steam anymore before I put my disc in.

I wonder what kind of stuff would come up in a 'dyeing superstitions' thread...

It's definitely not a bad idea to at least bring it to a boil when you initially mix the dye to help it dissolve fully. Pretty sure the instructions on idye actually say to boil it.

I've boiled discs before when dying them. Didn't affect the flight at all. So I wouldn't worry about it. If it throws fine who cares.

wavy flight plate

I have done a few dye jobs that used boiling water with mixed results. I do think that the color sets quicker, but you need to watch the temp closely. It is plastic and it will warp. I experimented with a shaving cream dye on a clear Prodigy disc where I laid out the shaving cream pattern on the underside of the flight plate and then floated it in near boiling water. The color looked awesome, but the flight plate warped horribly. It was basically one continuous wave all around the rim. The rim itself was fine, but the flight plate was badly warped and it is probably an illegal disc now, given how out of spec it is.

I think that the best thing to do is to be patient. When you add the dye, get a good boil to maximize the solubility of the dye and water, but then let it cool down some before the dyeing process. It takes more time, but also gives you more control of the depth of color and won't jack-up your plastic.

Latest posts