• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is the IceBowl a For-Profit event?

krisnosti

I was at Widefield disc golf course yesterday in Colorado Springs and they have a flyer up advertising the upcoming Ice Bowl this saturday (Feb.23). It says that 50% of your $20 registration goes for "donation". I assume they mean charity. I was under the impression that the Ice Bowl was entirely for charity to restock the food banks after the holidays.?? Not sure who the TD is, but I do know that there's another tournament that same day just down the street at Fountain/Cumberland Green (Vibram challenge). I guess coordinating events so as to not have a scheduling conflict for the sake of the charity event was impossible? The Ice Bowl(s) I played in Texas, Michigan, and Tennessee were 100% Fund Raiser. All Money and canned goods went to the less fortunate, so whats up with this? Why is it being converted into a money-making event. Thanks :mad:

The ice bowls around here have a certain amount going to the food bank (I guess you can call it donation) and the rest to payouts. I'm not seeing what's wrong with the event you are talking about.

I guess I was under the impression that it was a fund-raiser for the food bank exclusively. Who started the Ice Bowl event? what precedent did they set? I participated in the first Fire Bowl in Hendersonville, Tn (2007), and it benefited the local volunteer fire dept. 100% of the proceeds in a Fund-Raiser ostensibly goes to the charity, right? No?:confused:

I guess I was under the impression that it was a fund-raiser for the food bank exclusively. Who started the Ice Bowl event? what precedent did they set? I participated in the first Fire Bowl in Hendersonville, Tn (2007), and it benefited the local volunteer fire dept. 100% of the proceeds in a Fund-Raiser ostensibly goes to the charity, right? No?:confused:

i believe the Ice Bowl originated in Kansas City with Rick Rothstein. In general your assumption that 100% of income goes to charity is incorrect. In most cases that I am aware of only a portion goes to charity with some going to payout.

Our Ice Bowl goes to Hunter's Hope & the WNY Food Bank (or maybe the Buffalo City Mission). But a percentage also goes to pay out.

Seems reasonable to me since the 100 plus players give over $5000 to the charities.

Ice Bowl here is going to be a c tier tourney. They ask to bring added canned goods and donations.

We've been running ours for the same food bank for 7 years.
I've been the TD for the past 5.
The last two have been PDGA C-tiers.

2009-$613 and 300 lbs. of food
2010-$650 and 200 lbs of food
2011-$400 and 150 lbs of food
2012-$827 and 420 lbs of food
2013-$1006 and 400 lbs of food.

We had payout at our Ice Bowl in Wichita. We still raised $3400.

Just because tournament director A did things one way doesn't make tournament director B wrong for doing it another.

Last edited:
I love how people just assume it costs nothing to run an event.

The point that I'm trying to make is that instead of raising x amount of money, we could be raising TWICE that amount (in this scenario). If you want a sticker or a prize or a payout, then go play any given tournament, 365days a year. What would be wrong with 100% of the proceeds going to charity, one day a year? Disc golf is suffering from an image problem, (most of us would agree as we approach our city facilitators to give us more courses) and this just perpetuates the over priveleged, under educated, self serving portion of that myth. Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry if I'm offending anyones sensibilities towards their "right" to hold a tournament and make money in a PUBLIC park.

The point that I'm trying to make is that instead of raising x amount of money, we could be raising TWICE that amount (in this scenario). If you want a sticker or a prize or a payout, then go play any given tournament, 365days a year. What would be wrong with 100% of the proceeds going to charity, one day a year? Disc golf is suffering from an image problem, (most of us would agree as we approach our city facilitators to give us more courses) and this just perpetuates the over priveleged, under educated, self serving portion of that myth. Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry if I'm offending anyones sensibilities towards their "right" to hold a tournament and make money in a PUBLIC park.

And if you double the entry fee you can double the donation AND the payout!

And unfortunately, the payout or prizes are what attract a good number of players. It would be hard to get a good sized field while offering nothing as incentive.

Assume?

I don't assume that it costs nothing to run a tournament. I know how tournaments and payouts and clubs work. I do assume that noone is Forcing you to hold said tournament

The incentive is raising funds for those who are less needy. Or are we too good for that?

The problem is that it then takes away from the actual tournament experience. I could just as easily donate money to the food bank myself and then gather some friends for a couple rounds.

Latest posts