• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is the IceBowl a For-Profit event?

The point that I'm trying to make is that instead of raising x amount of money, we could be raising TWICE that amount (in this scenario).
That's contingent upon the same amount of people showing up.

If you want a sticker or a prize or a payout, then go play any given tournament, 365days a year. What would be wrong with 100% of the proceeds going to charity, one day a year?
How about you TD an Ice Bowl, run it that way, and see how it goes.

Disc golf is suffering from an image problem, (most of us would agree as we approach our city facilitators to give us more courses) and this just perpetuates the over priveleged, under educated, self serving portion of that myth.
DGCR is suffering from an image problem. Too many people are using it as of late to post their petty bitchfests, and pronounce their myopic opinions of how the world should be run, and act as though the rest of us are supposed to give a s***.

DGCR is suffering from an image problem. Too many people are using it as of late to post their petty bitchfests, and pronounce their myopic opinions of how the world should be run, and act as though the rest of us are supposed to give a s***.

:thmbup: :clap:

There is a difference in wording here that is significant. 100% of funds received going to charity is not the same as 100% of proceeds.

Our Ice Bowl generated just over $3,000 in registrations, donations, local business sponsorships, and silent auction bids. Just under $2,700 is going to our local food bank, along with over 300 pounds of food, all generated by ~75 players and volunteers. We served lunch, partly paid by the club and partly from registrations, as well as entries to the chili cook-off. We had cash payouts, which most players generously donated back. We had to pay a bit for rentals and such, as well as a small amount of tournament supplies. All proceeds are going to the food bank. We've been completely open about every dollar in and out, and our members and other tournament participants are justifiably proud of our donation.

Source: I am the club Treasurer and I counted all of it. We are presenting the money to the Food Bank on Thursday afternoon and hoping to get a photo for our website.

The incentive is raising funds for those who are less needy. Or are we too good for that?
You know, if you don't like the way the tournament is run, you could always boycott it, and encourage others to do the same. Then how much money will the less needy get?

Krisnosti, you should probably talk to the TD of the event directly, since DGCR isn't likely to offer anything more helpful than we already have in this thread.

Local TD runs a 4 tourney series. The first three were non sanctioned and had mulligans for a buck each with a max of 6 (3/rnd). The one I played, everyone but one person bought the max. All that money went straight to the food bank in addition to whatever cut of the entry fee for donation was. 4th tourney is sanctioned so no mulligans.

No players pack was given and the payout was for GC's to the TD's shop.

Thousands have been raised. If it ain't broke...

Last edited:
You know, if you don't like the way the tournament is run, you could always boycott it, and encourage others to do the same. Then how much money will the less needy get?

Exactly. I have run other charity events for Boy Scouts and such - I am far more jaded towards people now after running these events. Usually the person who is complaining about "So not 100% of my donation is going towards the charity?" - No Sir 75% goes to the charity, 10% is paying for this event, and 5% is going back to the club for future events/equipment .. are the same people who say "Wow what a shi**y gift bag for this event".

Many players want at least a supercolor buzzz for winning their division. Unless you get some companies to sponsor your event, where else is the money for running the event going to come from except the entry fee? And the rental, insurance, flags, paint, lunch, whatever.
50% of entry fees going to a charity is fairly normal unless you have some seriously nice sponsors to cover expenses. Either way, I doubt the hosting club's taking anything home with them as "profit" after an Ice Bowl.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the feedback, positive or otherwise. Not asking anyone to care about what I think, but rather, to have an informed discussion. I was curious and now I think I have learned a great deal. THANKYOU

We've been running ours for the same food bank for 7 years.
I've been the TD for the past 5.
The last two have been PDGA C-tiers.

2009-$613 and 300 lbs. of food
2010-$650 and 200 lbs of food
2011-$400 and 150 lbs of food
2012-$827 and 420 lbs of food
2013-$1006 and 400 lbs of food.

Keep up the great work! Truely awesome!:clap:

There are a lot of hidden costs to running a tournament. I certainly wouldn't expect a TD of an event, charity or otherwise, to eat the costs of flyers, scorecards, course/shelter rental, insurance and whatever other random things pop up. I very much doubt the TD referenced in the OP is pocketing a bunch of money for himself, an email to him/her will probably clear things up as to where the money is being spent.

I was at Widefield disc golf course yesterday in Colorado Springs and they have a flyer up advertising the upcoming Ice Bowl this saturday (Feb.23). It says that 50% of your $20 registration goes for "donation". I assume they mean charity. I was under the impression that the Ice Bowl was entirely for charity to restock the food banks after the holidays.?? Not sure who the TD is, but I do know that there's another tournament that same day just down the street at Fountain/Cumberland Green (Vibram challenge). I guess coordinating events so as to not have a scheduling conflict for the sake of the charity event was impossible? The Ice Bowl(s) I played in Texas, Michigan, and Tennessee were 100% Fund Raiser. All Money and canned goods went to the less fortunate, so whats up with this? Why is it being converted into a money-making event. Thanks :mad:

You are kinda dumb and don't know how tourneys work. Don't worry about it and let competent people run things.

I know around here several players have donated their winnings to the charity.

If I'm not mistaken the Widefield Ice Bowl players receive an Ice Bowl disc to commemorate the event which usually has some pretty sweet art work. I think one of the discs was posted in the Dye A Day thread awhile back. Things like this are a good way to bring in new players or players that are trying out tournaments for the first time. I just saw the flyer today at Widefield on Hole 8, seems perfectly legit to me.
Ice Bowls like this are a great way to have a non-expensive tourney that people can enjoy and a good way to raise money or food for charities. And you do get players that will toss their winnings in with the money going to charity. Usually people will toss donations in with their players fee as well. Half going to charity is way better than nothing going to charity. I just played Widefield a few hours ago and gave absolutely nothing to any charity. So the Ice Bowl is already giving back more than I did.

The Ice Bowl that I run takes $X and donates it and leaves $X for the payouts. If I ran it with 100% of the entree going to the charity, I believe that attendance would go down.

I was at Widefield disc golf course yesterday in Colorado Springs and they have a flyer up advertising the upcoming Ice Bowl this saturday (Feb.23). It says that 50% of your $20 registration goes for "donation". I assume they mean charity. I was under the impression that the Ice Bowl was entirely for charity to restock the food banks after the holidays.?? Not sure who the TD is, but I do know that there's another tournament that same day just down the street at Fountain/Cumberland Green (Vibram challenge). I guess coordinating events so as to not have a scheduling conflict for the sake of the charity event was impossible? The Ice Bowl(s) I played in Texas, Michigan, and Tennessee were 100% Fund Raiser. All Money and canned goods went to the less fortunate, so whats up with this? Why is it being converted into a money-making event. Thanks :mad:

I'm the TD for the Birdie Bash at Cumberland Green, and it is actually in April, nowhere near this weekend. The TDs name for the Ice Bowl name is Alec and he's a stand-up guy. He's busted his butt getting this tourney up and running, and he's very helpful. I've emailed him several times about the event and he always answers back promptly.

Tournaments cost money. All the profit for Ice Bowl tourneys go to local Food Banks, and Alec is also taking donations of non-perishible goods. I haven't heard any word on prizes or discs for players, but I know it will be a good time, and Alec will likely eat some of the cost just to help out.

You are kinda dumb and don't know how tourneys work. Don't worry about it and let competent people run things.

Well that's just insulting. But the OP is a bit ignorant (not using the word as an insult) to tournaments, which is fine. For instance, he said the Birdie Bash at Cumberland Green was this weekend...which it is not. It's not until April.

Anyway, that's why people come to these forums, to get the straight answer. Hopefully we answered the OPs question...and I hope to see him at the tourney on Saturday!

I'm the TD for the Birdie Bash at Cumberland Green, and it is actually in April, nowhere near this weekend. The TDs name for the Ice Bowl name is Alec and he's a stand-up guy. He's busted his butt getting this tourney up and running, and he's very helpful. I've emailed him several times about the event and he always answers back promptly.

Tournaments cost money. All the profit for Ice Bowl tourneys go to local Food Banks, and Alec is also taking donations of non-perishible goods. I haven't heard any word on prizes or discs for players, but I know it will be a good time, and Alec will likely eat some of the cost just to help out.

This happens a lot, without outside sponsorship $$.

But these events arent about making money for the players or the TD.
Fwiw, icebowls have and will continue to be the best way for clubs and DG in general to gain support from park boards and cities by doing positive things like that.

Latest posts