• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Is there an Aviar-ish putter that feels like a Buzzz?

Dr. Bogey

Birdie Member
I've concluded that, while I like its flight characteristics, the good ol' DX Aviar I've been putting with just doesn't feel right in my hand. It's too tall, like I'm pinching it between my fingertips instead of holding it in my hand. My Buzzz feels PERFECT. So is there a putter with flight characteristics similar to the Aviar's that'll feel like a Buzzz in my hand? It doesn't have to fly exactly like an Aviar as long as the stability is about the same. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more glide.

If it makes a difference, I push putt inside the circle, and outside the circle I do a spin putt that's actually just a desperate fling.

As you get thinner you kind of gain speed and lose glide, in a general sense.
My first thoughts were Gateway Magic, Discmania P1X, and maybe a Lat Pure. The Pure will be the thinnest and fastest of those three. The other two feel less deep than an Aviar, but remain quite neutral and have a lot of glide.
I think your best bet, if it's possible, is to get into a store and just pick the one that feels best in your hand.
Good luck.

Edit: Magic and P1X won't really feel like a Buzzz, but they feel shallower than an Aviar. Hence my suggestion.

Last edited:
Colt is probably what you're looking for, or a (now OOP) Classic Roc.

A Lat Spike is close, but not quite as stable.

I've concluded that, while I like its flight characteristics, the good ol' DX Aviar I've been putting with just doesn't feel right in my hand. It's too tall, like I'm pinching it between my fingertips instead of holding it in my hand. My Buzzz feels PERFECT. So is there a putter with flight characteristics similar to the Aviar's that'll feel like a Buzzz in my hand? It doesn't have to fly exactly like an Aviar as long as the stability is about the same. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more glide.

If it makes a difference, I push putt inside the circle, and outside the circle I do a spin putt that's actually just a desperate fling.

I don't know where you are or what stores are available to you, but my suggestion is to go into a store, hold and feel the putters, see what feels right in your hand, then go from there with the research on boards like these.

Yikun Wings. Super low profile. Reminds me of a slow Roc. It is one of two discs that I'd consider for a one disc round

A xd is probably a good choice. It is a flat top aviar. And if your not set on innova try a discraft apex.

But as broken shoulder said... if you can get to a store or pro shop that you can get your hands on a bunch of putters and find what fits your hand.

Or if you want you could try diffren grips. If a buzz is that much more comfortable (just in my opinnion) you might have a grip issue. What do i mean... it sounds like your trying to power grip rather then a more open and controlled grip like a fan grip.

Pure is probably the closest to what you want. Proxy is similar to a Pure, but maybe even a little shallower, but it's only in premium plastic, so depends on what you want in your putter.

Yikun Wings. Super low profile. Reminds me of a slow Roc. It is one of two discs that I'd consider for a one disc round

Just for side by side comparison Wings vs Pure

7d3ebee70bd9d44b042ca5b6d9ee659a.jpg

Wings is yellow. Super low profile.

My thought is, the Buzzz isn't super low profile. It's just beadless and lower than the Aviar. Which is why I think the Pure is closer.

I was pure aviar and wanted something shallower so i switched to the lat64 mercy, not sure if its like a buzz but its shallow and flat but not shaman/magic flat

I love the Buzzz, Pure and Zone for my short game, they definitely feel similar in my hand and I have the most confidence in my release being clean with these.

I think I'm gonna try a Pure. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any discs available at retailers in my area other than some Innovas at the local Dick's, so handling discs before buying isn't an option.

Thanks for the input, folks!

My thought is, the Buzzz isn't super low profile. It's just beadless and lower than the Aviar. Which is why I think the Pure is closer.

I handled a Buzzz today. You are right. It is deeper then I remembered.

If your main gripe with the Avair is its depth, you might want to check out a Judge. I had the same gripe about the Avair and swapped to Judges and I haven't looked back.

There is NOTHING wrong with putting with a Pro D buzzz. Many...many people will give you a look or tell you otherwise but there is nothing wrong with it. You will score the same as you would with a "putter". Just let their preconceived notions bounce off of you, and hopefully you'll make more putts than them as icing on the cake.

Latest posts