• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is THIS what we want?

Do you want more of this in disc golf?

• Yes

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 79 54.1%
  • Shut the hell up

Votes: 44 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've had courses with man made obstacles for years. Brent Baca in ALBQ is a good example of this. There is little there for a course designer to work with so he improvised.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=398

f4507808_m.jpg

As I saw in the guest book; "Mad Max meets disc golf."

needs moar objects

Disc Golf is primarily about shaping throws around vertical obstacles versus dealing with surface challenges like ball golf. So, adding vertical obstacles where necessary due to lack of natural obstacles like trees, bushes or mounds should be encouraged to provide at least some vertical challenges.

However, it was pointed out earlier that aesthetics is an important design element for enjoying the game. So ideally, either add natural obstacles or ones that look natural like the artificial foliage in zoo exhibits OR go the opposite direction and install all kinds of manmade obstacles on many holes like Flying Armadillo and Tiki so the aesthetic is a full-blown kitschy design. That can be fun and challenging, too. I think the concern arises when there are just a few jarring, unnatural looking structures, like this example, on natural terrain.

What ever happened to those weird crescent bunker things you posted?

Were those ever constructed and used in real life?

let's not get our grindcore confused with our death metal

i'm surprised we don't see more fast-growing plants placed on courses. hybrid poplar, bamboo, hemp, leyland cypress, etc.

The distinction is lost on most people (not saying 3Putz is one of those people)...I just went for maximum "annoyingness" and "offensiveness."

What ever happened to those weird crescent bunker things you posted? Were those ever constructed and used in real life?
You can play the stockade hole at Fairfield (Round Lake, IL) if you get down there. This was shortly after construction. Now there's a sign board across the front posts per plan and the mounds have grown in uniformly. It's the 18th hole for the white layout teeing from the left and a bonus 19th hole for the gold tee layout teeing from the right or warmup hole depending on where you park. If you land completely on either mound (there's a landscape rubber strip around the base of each), you mark on the LOP back from the basket but no penalty ...other than a tougher putt.

Attachments

• Stockade buncrs web.jpg
    Stockade buncrs web.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 71
That was a pretty fun course! I would say the holes that line a 12 foot drop into the arroyo were a bigger issue than the man made obstacles.

I'd like to see less scrub brush. I spent too long looking for discs that I walked right past.

Shrug....build more courses, less crowds. Less crowds, more fun. I don't care what kind of mozzarella sticks they plant. If it bugs me, I simply won't play there.....but, some will making my round more fun. Win, win, win. My game is to insignificant to get all indignant.

i'm surprised we don't see more fast-growing plants placed on courses. hybrid poplar, bamboo, hemp, leyland cypress, etc.

Use of hemp as a design element might lead to some interesting scenarios on the course and conversations in the Rules Questions and Discussion subforum.

Q: How much can I remove without triggering 2 penalty throws under 803.03 A.?
A: a. none; b. a little as long as it's not noticeable; c. help yourself, brother; d. none of the above.

Q: If I'll receive 2 penalty throws under 803.03 A. for removing portions of plants, that are deemed to be part of the course, is it worth it?
A: a. always; b. sometimes; c. if you're out of cash, why not? d. as long as you share; e. other

You can play the stockade hole at Fairfield (Round Lake, IL) if you get down there. This was shortly after construction. Now there's a sign board across the front posts per plan and the mounds have grown in uniformly. It's the 18th hole for the white layout teeing from the left and a bonus 19th hole for the gold tee layout teeing from the right or warmup hole depending on where you park. If you land completely on either mound (there's a landscape rubber strip around the base of each), you mark on the LOP back from the basket but no penalty ...other than a tougher putt.

Thats the way these artificial hazards should be played, if you have to have them.

I mean. I know camels can have three humps, but four and a some sorta sword?!

I for one would love to play a course that is full of whacky man made obstacles! Almost like a giant mini golf course but for disks :) there would of course be golf cart rentals and refreshments available in the clubhouse as well as on the course. :) what pros do you fellas think we get to go in on something like this?