• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is throwing far like popping a towel?

NotActuallyChris

Bogey Member
Somebody asked this question on reddit earlier. My gut was "no" as I linked the Feldberg towel video, but I started to think:

Is there an analogy here, where you *arm* is the towel?

I'd say no. It is not like snapping a towel in the locker-room style. When you snap a towel, you pull the towel back towards yourself to create the snap. That never happens in a disc golf throw. Instead you follow through.

When people do the 'towel drill' they are doing a completely different motion than what's seen in locker rooms.

I say no. Pulling a towel then snapping it is different then throwing.

You pull on a straight line then snap the towel for the noise. I practiced that drill so much it sounded like a .22 going off.

It doesn't correlate into a disc golf throw because you get around the head of the golf disc at the right pec.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If pulling straight the entire time you don't get any of the magic physics trick HUB mentions in:

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/...lps-demonstrate-inward-pull-outward-ejection/

I should mention the merits of the towel drill.

It can help with timing. It can help with getting "out there" with elbow extension.

You won't make a powerful noise T. rex arming a towel drill.

It's about learning to extend the elbow before acceleration. Gliding with gravity, catching up, then accelerating.

It's a important step in learning.

I've never thrown a disc in a locker room.

I'd say no. It is not like snapping a towel in the locker-room style. When you snap a towel, you pull the towel back towards yourself to create the snap. That never happens in a disc golf throw. Instead you follow through.

When people do the 'towel drill' they are doing a completely different motion than what's seen in locker rooms.

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not asking if its like popping a towel directly in the sense that the disc would be the towel. I'm saying if your *arm* is to the towel as your body is to the hand that snaps it. If you look at that slow mo video I linked, the loose towel gets pulled in a line, snaps (the hit), and releases (follow through).

you pull the towel back towards yourself to create the snap. That never happens in a disc golf throw.

But doesn't it kind of? Your body does stop, and your arm snaps forward.

I don't think its a perfect analogy (I think sidewinder22's analogy make more sense). But when I looked at the way the towel *releases* after the snap, it reminded me so much of the arms follow through I thought it was interesting is all.

I thought after Sidewinder22 posts in a technique and strategy (T&S) thread that that means /thread? Should be a rule. Something like this:

If Sidewinder22 has replied to a T&S thread there is no need to respond with another viewpoint as you are wrong.

Latest posts