• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

jbultman ITB, please critique

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 3.5 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Nova: 250/290'; Roc: 320/360'; Undertaker: 360/400'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Quadriceps Tendinopathy
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, Soccer
Additional Information: Play mainly Wooded Courses, not many open bombers (think shorter idlewild, distance for 18 holes 5k-8k ft)
What do you like/dislike about your current bag? Like: Undertsable, Stable, Overstable versions of the same disc; Mids, Fairway, Distance Driver. Dislike: very little forehand x3-4 per round, so need understable molds.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Looking for critique to see if I'm missing anything glaring or obvious, i.e. overlaps or gaps... Plus, other peoples thoughts on what I'm carrying

Bag:

Distance Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Z Force, 8.5 /10(Overstable goto)
173 Z Force, 7/10 (turn with hard reliable fade)
173 400G D2, 8.5/10 (farther than beat Z force, very little turn, not as much fade)
174 400G D2, 7/10 (Flip to flat, Max controllable distance)
174 400 Spectrum D2, 8/10 (super long-distance bomber)

Control Drivers:
175 Big Jerm Thunderbird 2018, 8/10 (overstable)
175 Big Jerm Thunderbird 2017, 7.5/10 (Go to distance forehand, turn but mellow fade)
175 ESP Avenger SS, 8.5/10 (long-distance turnover, roller)

Fairway Drivers:
175 FD3 Doombird III, 8/10
175 Glow FD3, 8/10 (Go to control forehand)
175 CryZtal Sparkle Undertaker, 8.5/10
174 Ti Undertaker, 8.5/10 (Straight)
172 Ti Undertaker, 7/10 (Understable thrower)

Mids:
175 Quantum Taurus, 8.5/10 (Overstable Thrower, hard Fade)
175 Flat Top KC Pro Roc, 8.5/10
175 Flat Top KC Pro Roc, 7/10 (Hold any angle, super straight no fade)
175 Flat Top KC Pro Roc, 6/10 (Undertable, softer KC Plastic)

Approach:
175 Z Zone, 8.5/10
172 Pro D Zone 6.5/10 (Go to Forehand approach)

Putters:
x2-3 175 Tour Series Aviar, 8/10 (Main Putting Putter)
175 XT Nova, 9/10 (Go to Bh Approach, straight)
175 XT Nova, 6/10 (Putter turnovers)

Get out of Jail-Free cards:
175 C-Blend Slab, 7.5/10 (still stupid overstable)
175 Opto Maul, 7/10 (stupid Understable)

THANKS!

How does the cryztal undertaker fly for you? I threw a 2020 ledgestone version a couple times and it was absolute meat hook for me and I can usually get a full flight out of speed 9s.

How does the cryztal undertaker fly for you? I threw a 2020 ledgestone version a couple times and it was absolute meat hook for me and I can usually get a full flight out of speed 9s.

I agree, the 2020s are overstable. I have a handful and they are all very similar, although the domey ones a little straighter. I would say very similar to an eagle or a little less overstable/beat FD3. It has no turn no flip up and will forward finish at the end. Despite as overstable as it is, the doombird is more. 350-370 is about the max for the cryZtal Sparkle undertaker for me.
Even though I would say it's very similar in fight to my color glow fd3 I only forehand the glow fd3.

Glad it wasn't just me then lol. I was just curious if there's much overlap between it and the fd3s

I would do a field test with the distance, control, and fairways. Throw all them on a hyzer, flat, and anny. See which ones are grouped together and if you get significant distance >35' between them. You have a every slot covered, but I think you could probably cover the same shots/distance with fewer molds. This will simplify your selection as you improve on your form. If your fairways are 350'ish, Thuderbirds 365'ish, and DD 400'ish; you could mostly get by without the Thunderbirds. If only one of the distance drivers is out performing your Thunderbirds, then only use the Thunderbirds till you can really jump distances. Especially if you are playing woods.

I would do a field test with the distance, control, and fairways. Throw all them on a hyzer, flat, and anny. See which ones are grouped together and if you get significant distance >35' between them. You have a every slot covered, but I think you could probably cover the same shots/distance with fewer molds. This will simplify your selection as you improve on your form. If your fairways are 350'ish, Thuderbirds 365'ish, and DD 400'ish; you could mostly get by without the Thunderbirds. If only one of the distance drivers is out performing your Thunderbirds, then only use the Thunderbirds till you can really jump distances. Especially if you are playing woods.

That's a good idea!
I haven't done field work in a bit. Though Fairways are 350ish, Thunderbirds are 410ish and DD are 475. Gaps are a little bigger than max 400

Latest posts