• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

jivey311 video analysis

jivey311

Eagle Member
I've been playing for years, but want to get better. My goal this summer is to add 50-100 feet of distance. Hopefully, you can help me get there.

I've read and practiced beato drills, hammer pound, numerous technique videos, blake walker videos, all articles on DGR.

I've done my discing down since last summer. I'm pretty set on my bag now. I usually go with lower weights, (172g and below).

DRIVERS AVG: 300-310
DRIVERS MAX: 320-320

MIDS AVG: 260-275
MIDS MAX: 300

PUTTERS AVG: 230-240
PUTTERS MAX: 250

I go RHBH on 90% of drives since that's my power shot.

RHFH, I used to do when I first started, but I haven't really worked on it for max distance. It's for more of finesse shots and utility shots. I did put a couple of shots there at the end of the video. FH for distance is something I could use improving at also. (I put 2 throws at the end of the vid just for shiz n giggles)

So here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1uB7FgRuVI

Last edited:
I think you need to slow your run up and not take such large steps. You're not planting you final foot and getting any power from your legs/hips. When you release your plant foot should stay more solid. 1st thing is slow your run up.

Holy oat son, it hurts to watch! You're torquing everything over and stop your follow through, so its like you slap it instead of hitting through it. Go to the technique sticky and start over from the hit backwards and learn snap. Kudos for not throwing the ultra high speed stuff though.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

all of your weight is back or neutral. get your weight over your plant foot. all of your discs are coming out nose up. you are not pulling through in a straight line. last but not least there is no follow thru.

I don't know why but this made me laugh real hard:clap: That crystal z stalker is the biggest disc I've ever seen! It's like Sputnik!

The stalker is a really large looking disc. It's a lemon lake worlds, disc. Just started using it again, but when I first got it and compared to the rest of my discs, it seemed gigantic!

Stalker Specs:
Outside diameter: 21.6 cm
Inside rim diameter: 18.3 cm
Height: 1.6 cm
Rim depth: 1.2 cm
Rim thickness: 1.7 cm
Flight plate thickness: 0.2 cm
Flight plate to rim plane distance: 1.4 cm
Flexibility rating: 4.76 kg
Rim configuration rating: 32.5
Maximum weight allowed: 179.3 g

Teebird Outside Diameter: 21.2 cm

Looks like your not following all the way through with your hand. Think of your throwing like your snapping a towel. Your wrist does the same action pretty much when you throw a disc. Your run up looks alright, but like mentioned above maybe slow it down a bit and take smaller steps. And... Like Sidewinder said, you have OAT.

It seems like you're releasing the disc early instead of letting the disc rip from your hand due to momentum. This is you have no follow through I'm thinking and it may be one reason why you are applying OAT to your shot. When you release the disc early like that it takes away both speed and spin from the disc. Speed and especially spin (snap) are what keep the disc flying/gliding through the air. When discs run out of spin they start to fade. It seems that you are having to apply OAT to keep the disc from fading off to the left very early in the flight due to the lack of spin and speed caused by an early release. In general you need more forward momentum at the "hit" and less initial speed in the beginning of your run-up. Your body should partially spin around due to this momentum and your left foot will come around to land in line with where you are aiming. If I tried to end on one foot like you do I would fall flat on my face because of my forward momentum.

Last edited:
It seems like you're releasing the disc early instead of letting the disc rip from your hand due to momentum. This is you have no follow through I'm thinking and it may be one reason why you are applying OAT to your shot. When you release the disc early like that it takes away both speed and spin from the disc. Speed and especially spin (snap) are what keep the disc flying/gliding through the air. When discs run out of spin they start to fade. It seems that you are having to apply OAT to keep the disc from fading off to the left very early in the flight due to the lack of spin and speed caused by an early release. In general you need more forward momentum at the "hit" and less initial speed in the beginning of your run-up. Your body should partially spin around due to this momentum and your left foot will come around to land in line with where you are aiming. If I tried to end on one foot like you do I would fall flat on my face because of my forward momentum.

Great info skurf! Exactly what I was looking for. I probably should have picked a more wide open field. This was a slightly right turning hole from the tee.

Latest posts