• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

John's gallery

disctribution

Par Member
Thought I'd start my own gallery thread and not dirty up someone else's. I'll try and post some pics of some of my first dyes, but since it's 2am here I'm gonna just start with the one I finished tonight. This was my first attempt and multiple methods of dying. I dipped, I brushed, I used multiple layers, and it took forever.....
hulk2.JPG

Now if I could go back and start over I would not have dyed the background black, I thought it would make the character stand out more but it ended up dulling some of the work I did, a white background would have made the colors look more vibrant. Lesson learned. I also rushed some vinyl removal areas, but unless you study it, you probably wouldn't notice. Oh, and yes, I know the pants look a little pink, that's also caused by a lack of patience, where I should have waited and went and bought a brown dye, instead of mixing scarlett and dark green. All in all, I think it took me about 3 hours from start to finish, while watching Lost, Jimmy Kimmel, etc. My next art attempt will be less than half of that time!

Oh, and I'm also taking requests! Purchase any Discraft, Innova, or DGA disc from me, specifying color and weight. Then either send me some artwork or tell me what you're looking for. I'll send you a proof for your approval then dye your new disc. Here's the cool part, if you aren't satisfied with the dye, I'll refund 50% of what you paid for the disc (not shipping). So you'll still have a new disc. If for some reason the disc get's damaged I will do a 100% refund.

Please note: I will not attempt to dye DX plastic, or any color darker than blue. It's pointless, they don't turn out. The best plastics are the mid-priced and high priced for all brands.

Here are disc prices:
INNOVA Champion $14 Star $15 Pro $11
Discraft Z $14 X-plastic $11
D.G.A. Pro line $14 (Stamp not removable)

No, I've been dying single color and 2 color for awhile, just dipping in the pan. This is the first time I've tried a multiple color job using severeal different methods.

But thanks! I'm still proud of this one.

Champion doesn't hold the dye well???? I've found that champion holds dye the best out of all the plastic. It is perhaps harder to find ways to get the dye to set well, but it'll hold it the best.

When using heated dye, Champion sets and holds very well. When I was dying these discs, I didn't know about heating dye yet, so I wasn't getting good results at all. I was soaking discs in cold dye for hours and barely getting any results. Now I can turn a white disc black.

Got bored last night and thought I'd attempt another one. I used a mandala design on a Pro Destroyer.

celticmandaladisc.JPG

Thats very nice, looks a lot like the other member that did the flowers and butterfly's. Good work!

Thanks guys. Look up some Mandala art when you get a chance. It's art that you're supposed to color and meditate. The cool thing is, it is almost always round, so is easily transferred on a disc. By the way, is there really a Cockroach Ranch in TExas? :D

Busted out my new xcalibur and I was like.....hot damn this flies good. Then I thought to myself "but it sure looks boring". So after hours of looking for a good excalibur picture I just decided to photoshop my own. Here is my new 171g Star xcalibur!

excaldisc.JPG

Here's one of my favorite characters. My 3rd attempt at multi-coloring. This one came out the best. I wanted to do a background but m wife says no way. Any thoughts? SHould I do a background color or leave it white.

yodadisc.JPG

How did you get green to come out? I tried it once and all I got was a few shades of camo brown. Excellent work BTW!!!

pd

I would leave the background white. I think it looks great the way it is. If you do a background I think it will take away from yoda.

pointdisc said:
How did you get green to come out? I tried it once and all I got was a few shades of camo brown. Excellent work BTW!!!

pd

Strangely I dyed it Rit Dark Green and got exactly the results you got. After rinsing I noticed it was an ugly brown. So I took out my light green I mixed earlier with yellow, and re-dyed it, to get the end result. It was a lucky guess, and could have easily ended up ugly.

Scotty N said:
I would leave the background white. I think it looks great the way it is. If you do a background I think it will take away from yoda.

You sound like my wife! No seriously, she said the same thing. I guess there must be something to it. I'll leave it the way it is. Thanks.

FYI: I now keep all my colors, whether original, or mixed, in Kerr jars. I found a stash of them at my local craft store for only 99 cents each. They work well because they are crystal clear and have a liquid/air tight lid. Just have to be a little careful with the glass when shaking. I put stickers on them with the color of the dye inside.

Latest posts