• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez mic’d up at GMC

txmxer

* Ace Member *
I think Simon is regretting playing with these guys. Uli and Jerm are normally goofy and joking, but in this one they seem like 5 year olds on caffeine and sugar.

I think Simon is regretting playing with these guys. Uli and Jerm are normally goofy and joking, but in this one they seem like 5 year olds on caffeine and sugar.

Maybe it's some relief from the players that the off-season is almost here because I felt the same way watching the GK Pro skins from Maple Hill. It's usually my favorite mid-week watch, but KJ (which fed the others) were so damn over the top during the front 9 that I couldn't finish it nor could I watch the back 9.

I also think Simon has a tendency to get low-key pissy when he feels he isn't playing well but others are still having fun/joking around. He's had a similar attitude before on these types of things like the last skins match he was on.

I switched over to R. Dean Odell as soon as Big Jerm started crying.

Maybe it's some relief from the players that the off-season is almost here because I felt the same way watching the GK Pro skins from Maple Hill. It's usually my favorite mid-week watch, but KJ (which fed the others) were so damn over the top during the front 9 that I couldn't finish it nor could I watch the back 9.

As soon as they threw into a group of people on the first hole at Maple Hill despite clearly knowing they were there my watching of OTB skins came to an end.

I also think Simon has a tendency to get low-key pissy when he feels he isn't playing well but others are still having fun/joking around. He's had a similar attitude before on these types of things like the last skins match he was on.

I was thinking he was wanting to be more serious considering he's trying for a USDGC spot.

And not really doing well.

I really enjoyed the first half-dozen or so Mic'd Up Practice Rounds, but I gradually lost interest. The novelty of the trash talk wore off a bit, and it feels like there's more and more talking about random topics, and less talk about hole strategy, throwing tactics, etc. If they were to edit them down to a tight 30 minutes or so, they might be better. I wonder how the viewership has trended.

I'm still all-in on OTB Skins. While there are better and worse weeks due to the players, I think the advantage is that they mix in a variety of players. One of my all time favorites is Calvin and Paul setting up their upshots on hole #4 at the Preserve (Paul, missing the line: "Yeah, I'll go with a distance driver because it cuts through the woods easier." Calvin: "Yeah, that's a good lesson for the kids.")

I'd be happier if Practice Rounds stuck to 9 (or 10 if they want 2 videos) holes like they have been through this last stretch of the tour. Not every hole on a course needs to be showcased, and then from there, keep each video in the 30 min range.

I was thinking he was wanting to be more serious considering he's trying for a USDGC spot.

And not really doing well.

DGPT Championship spot, but yeah, that was likely too; however, at this point how would he not know what he's getting into when he agrees to play with Jerm and Uli. Even if he's never watched even a second of these practice rounds, he's known both of them for a very long time, so it's not like them hamming it up would come as some great surprise. It's not like he agreed to do a practice round with Paul and Ricky at the same time, and out of nowhere, they were acting like Jerm and Uli do.

I wonder if the issue is that he thought it was a REAL practice round instead of a 'goofing off' practice round. As another poster brought up, Simon is trying to play well enough to get a spot in the big tournament...so he's probably serious about his practice - and it didn't look like he expected that much clowning around.

Not allowing faster groups to play through (although Big Jerm did kind of apologize for that)
Throwing into groups ahead
Talking while others are throwing
Blowing a whistle while another player is throwing
Putting while someone else is putting
Yeah, it's not a serious practice.

When it started, it wasn't totally serious, but lately there's more clowning around and less actual practice....maybe Simon expected it to be like the original few practice rounds.

When Simon played with Paul and Brodie on Jomez last year, he showed some emotion towards loud people. So it's not surprising that Simon was annoyed.

Those practice rounds have so much potential, but Jomez, or the announcers, squander it away. Gatekeeper has been way better in this regard, and GK Pro to a lesser degree.

I would much rather have them talking about their disc choices, throw choices, stances, strategy, technique, practice methods......I am fine with goofing around, but the entertain value of nothing but, wears thin. These are probably about building a brand, not really about disc golf.

I really enjoyed the first half-dozen or so Mic'd Up Practice Rounds, but I gradually lost interest. The novelty of the trash talk wore off a bit, and it feels like there's more and more talking about random topics, and less talk about hole strategy, throwing tactics, etc. If they were to edit them down to a tight 30 minutes or so, they might be better. I wonder how the viewership has trended.

I'm still all-in on OTB Skins. While there are better and worse weeks due to the players, I think the advantage is that they mix in a variety of players. One of my all time favorites is Calvin and Paul setting up their upshots on hole #4 at the Preserve (Paul, missing the line: "Yeah, I'll go with a distance driver because it cuts through the woods easier." Calvin: "Yeah, that's a good lesson for the kids.")

I think the Practice Rounds tend to suffer when Sexton is not there to be the "parent".

Most entertaining non-tournament disc golf video I have ever seen was the Iron Hill Skins with them timing Nikko. Calvin and Zach M. should be in all of them.

I think the Practice Rounds tend to suffer when Sexton is not there to be the parent.

^^^This.

Watching top-level players play a casual practice round can be entertaining and informative. Watching a top-level player run fake product endorsements, blow whistles while another player is putting and act like an irritating 9-year-old kid ... not so much.

It wouldn't be fun to play a round with that going on.

I would much rather have them talking about their disc choices, throw choices, stances, strategy, technique, practice methods......I am fine with goofing around, but the entertain value of nothing but, wears thin. These are probably about building a brand, not really about disc golf.

I agree with this totally. They almost feel like a different product under the Jomez umbrella.

I do like the idea of rotating in a different player for each video, but more from the perspective of how different players might approach their practice rounds, or if a particular player historically shoots well or even poorly at that course.

An informative practice round with a bit of friendly trash talk would work. Just like pretty much any casual round with your buddies.

Latest posts