• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious, but why down vote a review?

Am I doing something wrong, or are people just pricks? I can fix one of those things.

Reading your last review for Hudson Springs Park I see that you do not go into much detail. I scrolled down and found Brall's review of the same course much more helpful in knowing what sort of a course I'm about to play.

Lots of trusted reviewers on this site (me included) started out with really short/bad reviews. Try looking at others reviews and see how much detail they go into in them and write your own reviews based on your own conclusions and eventually the :thmbup: will come.

I've always felt that a thumbs up means good review, good detail, accurate description. Thumbs down means dishonest review or a review that just doesn't make sense or is judging incorrectly. If a review is short, but accurate, I feel that just letting it be gives it the neutral status it deserves.

Sometimes if a course is not very good I don't bother to review it. In the case of Choctaw Lake there were no reviews for me to look at and no map and no guide listed. My review was to give info to someone who might go and have the same negative experience I had. If a course is not ready don't put it up on the site as ready.

I've re-written quite a few reviews 3 or 4 times. Most of the negative stuff came before the final revision. Most of the positive feedback came afterwards. I really only give positive feedback but generally only on places I've been.
Even more often it seems to be locals on a new course who don't even read the review, they just hate the low rating, even if it was justified in the review. I really don't care. I'll never be a trusted reviewer. Write your own damn review if you think I missed something!

Sometimes if a course is not very good I don't bother to review it. In the case of Choctaw Lake there were no reviews for me to look at and no map and no guide listed. My review was to give info to someone who might go and have the same negative experience I had. If a course is not ready don't put it up on the site as ready.

I disagree. If the course is crap then I would definitely review it especially if there are safety hazards. I think my review among several others played a significant role in getting a local course redesigned. It may have made people in charge who never play DG realize that these elements in the park are not good and now funding has been approved for moving several problem baskets and installation of new dual tees. :thmbup:

-Dave

I am liberal and literal with my thumbs. If a review is "helpful"---if it says things that, if I were visiting the course, would be useful for me to know in advance---it's a thumbs-up.

I also don't put much sweat into the thumbs. About once a year, when there's a thread like this, I'll take a peek at my own totals. A few of my reviews have generated thumbs-down, without much pattern. I've rated courses well below their average rating within a thumbs-down, and rated courses at their average and gotten plenty. The thumbed-down reviews have been of the same length, style, and quality as the ones with no thumbs down. Hard to figure what's going on in folks' minds out there.

So it gives readers a tiny bit of input, without having to send a PM or start a thread or whatever, and I guess that has value.

there's a very popular course in texas that's on a snake preserve, I put in my review that there was a great deal of grafitti on the tables and benches, and that kind of vandalism bothers me. This has gotten me lots of thumbs down, even though my overall rating of the course was 3.5 stars based on the quality of the course. Reviews are opinions, right? I mean if someone puts up a review that has good information, it's helpful to me, even if I disagree with wether they liked the course or not.

I thumb down reviews to discourage bad reviewers from writing more bad reviews.

there's a very popular course in texas that's on a snake preserve, I put in my review that there was a great deal of grafitti on the tables and benches, and that kind of vandalism bothers me. This has gotten me lots of thumbs down, even though my overall rating of the course was 3.5 stars based on the quality of the course. Reviews are opinions, right? I mean if someone puts up a review that has good information, it's helpful to me, even if I disagree with wether they liked the course or not.
Not just a snake preserve, but a Poisonous Snake Habitat! :eek: I didn't see any snakes although I found someone's dirty underwear and towel.

If that is in fact why you are getting thumbdowns (I mean, who really knows why people do it) then I'd wear those with a bit of pride.

To me, these reviews are a way of showing the rest of the world what is important to us. What we like and don't like. Telling folks publicly that we don't like things like grafitti, safety hazards, etc. is a good thing IMHO. It shows that at least a portion of us respect the grounds these courses play on and we aren't a bunch of bullies looking to create issues for DG land owners...

-Dave

Don't forget the wonderful folks who give you a thumbs down because they don't like the course. There an dozens of good reviews of Flip City that people give thumbs down to because they have an anti-Flip bias.

there's a very popular course in texas that's on a snake preserve, I put in my review that there was a great deal of grafitti on the tables and benches, and that kind of vandalism bothers me.
Would you please provide the course name and a link to the course? I would like to read your review.

I question the purpose of the thumbs up/down overall, other than being one more thing for people to get worked up over.

I can't imagine there are too many people that need the "helpful" tally to determine that a two-sentence review is not beneficial to their decision-making process.

Using the thumbs up/down buttons to indicate that a review is poorly written is just being mean-spirited. We can all see that the person can't spell or express themselves very well - no need to point it out.

And using it to say that the person has misjudged the course, has rated it before it was finished, or isn't skilled enough to appreciate it? Well, as someone earlier said - write your own review and offer a different point of view.

C'mon - if we really want to have some fun, let's make the thumbs up/down feature available on individual thread posts so we can publicly show our contempt and disdain for every opinion that is expressed, not just the reviews. Or maybe we should add the ability to give thumbs up/down to the thumbs up or down that are given to reviews... it's all silly.

IMO the whole process is just another way for members of our increasingly narcissistic society to say "look at me - people like me and what I have to say!". I'm sure TR status is a wonderful thing to have, but I just don't get the need for validation of something that's relatively trivial.

Just remember those thumbs up or down................... hold about as much value as FB "likes".

Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and most of them stink.

I question the purpose of the thumbs up/down overall, other than being one more thing for people to get worked up over.

I can't imagine there are too many people that need the "helpful" tally to determine that a two-sentence review is not beneficial to their decision-making process.

Using the thumbs up/down buttons to indicate that a review is poorly written is just being mean-spirited. We can all see that the person can't spell or express themselves very well - no need to point it out.

And using it to say that the person has misjudged the course, has rated it before it was finished, or isn't skilled enough to appreciate it? Well, as someone earlier said - write your own review and offer a different point of view.

C'mon - if we really want to have some fun, let's make the thumbs up/down feature available on individual thread posts so we can publicly show our contempt and disdain for every opinion that is expressed, not just the reviews. Or maybe we should add the ability to give thumbs up/down to the thumbs up or down that are given to reviews... it's all silly.

IMO the whole process is just another way for members of our increasingly narcissistic society to say "look at me - people like me and what I have to say!". I'm sure TR status is a wonderful thing to have, but I just don't get the need for validation of something that's relatively trivial.
This.

IMO, it's simply a tool to provide the following:

1) Crude feedback as to whether a specific review was or wasn't helpful to readers, thereby informing authors that they're doing a decent job or need to make some improvements if they truly want their reviews to be useful to other players... apparently it works, because after repeated negative responses, the OP inquired - and apparently intends to put a bit more thought and substance into their reviews.

2) A means of tabulating responses to show which reviewers consistently pump out reviews DGCR readers deem helpful, thereby providing a quantifiable means of to establishing TR's. Say what you will about TR's, as a reader of reviews myself, there seems to be a pretty solid correlation between a reviewer's rung on the TR ladder and the validity of their opinions regarding a given course.

I'd never say that only TR's have valid opinions and to discount what anyone else has said, but as you look at the work of the vast majority of TR's, I'm willing to bet you'll feel that most of them do a good job explaining what's good and bad about a given course, and that those further up the ladder tend to do it particularly well... hence the idea of making it easy identify the work of a reviewer who can be Trusted to provide honest and accurate info about a course... particularly useful when travelling.

Like any other system, there are those who abuse it, but by and large, I think it works pretty well.

Last edited:

Latest posts