• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just returned from my summer road trip...

cox3

Par Member
Premium Member
Played 102 courses in 38 days (including 72 in Washington/Oregon alone). Also visited 7 national parks, hiked about 65 miles, and went to 3 new MLB stadiums. Drove about 10,500 miles total.

This brings my courses played total to 677 which looks like it currently ranks 23rd on DGCR. I'm going to list the courses that I played on this trip below. If anyone has any questions about my experience at any of them, feel free to ask and I will answer.

TEXAS (1)

Disc Creek DGC (Amarillo)

WYOMING (2)

Casper DGC @ Platte River Park
Bullsnake Alley DGC @ Platte River Park

MONTANA (1)

Diamond X DGC

IDAHO (6)

Panhandle Kiwanis DGC @ Cherry Hill Park (Coeur d'Alene)
Farragut State Park - North Star
Farragut State Park - A.W.O.L.
Farragut State Park - Cutthroat [9]
Farragut State Park - Little Black Bear
Farragut State Park - Wreckreator

BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA (5)

Langley Passive Park
Robert Burnaby Park [9]
Queen Elizabeth Park [9]
Quilchena Park [9]
Jericho Hill [9]

WASHINGTON (28)

Downriver DGC (Spokane)
High Bridge Park
Camp Sekani Jamboree
Lakewood King County Park
Seatac DGC [27]
Riverside DGC (Sumner)
Tall Firs DGC
Fort Steilacoom Park - Northwest
Fort Steilacoom Park - Ray's Nine [9]
Fort Steilacoom Park - Southeast
Ambient DGC
Lake Fenwick Park
White River DGC @ Game Farm Wilderness Park
NAD Park - DISCovery [6]
NAD Park - Main
Kitsap Fairgrounds DGC
Bud Pell DGC @ Ross Farm
HJ Carroll Park [9]
Rainshadow DGC
Lincoln Park (Port Angeles)
Sam Benn Memorial Park [9]
Shelton Springs DGC
Evergreen State College [16]
Ray Morse Park [9]
Tam O'Shanter Park [9]
Glenwood Community Church [9]
Leverich Park [12]
North Bonneville DGC

OREGON (44)

Timber Park [21]
Pier Park
McCormick Park
Trojan Park [16]
L.L. Stub Stewart Park - Lil' Stub [9]
L.L. Stub Stewart Park - Hares Canyon
L.L. Stub Stewart Park - PP [3]
Buxton Woods DGC
Sain Scoggins DGC @ Hagg Lake Park
Wennerberg Park [12]
Wortman Park [12]
Ewing Young Park [12]
Herbert Hoover Park [9]
Benson State Recreation Area [9]
Rooster Rock State Park - East [9]
Rooster Rock State Park - West [9]
Dabney State Park
Blue Lake Regional Park
Vance Park [9]
Rockwood Central Park [9]
Portland Lunchtime DGC @ Greater Portland Bible Church [15]
Greenway DGC [9]
Orchard Park [9]
Horning's Hideout - Canyon DGC
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge
Horning's Hideout - Highland
Champoeg State Park
Riverbend DGC @ Milo McIver State Park [27]
Clark Park [9]
Adair County Park
Willamette Park
Stewart Pond DGC
Westmoreland City Park [9]
Alton Baker Park
Clearwater Park [9]
Dexter State Park
North Regional Park (Cottage Grove)
Oakland DGC [9]
Whistler's Bend Park [27]
Riverfront Park (Roseburg)
Tom Pearce Park
Riverside Park (Grants Pass) [3]
Lake Selmac Park
Illinois River Forks State Park [9]

CALIFORNIA (7)

Humboldt State University
College of the Redwoods DGC (Fort Bragg) [14]
Golden Gate Park
Elysian Park - Chavez Ridge DGC
Huntington Beach Central Park
Liberty Park [9]
El Dorado Park

UTAH (1)

Green River State Park

COLORADO (3)

Cottonwood Creek Park (Colorado Springs)
Rampart DGC (Colorado Springs)
Serenity Pines DGC @ Shining Mountain (Woodland Park)

NEW MEXICO (4)

Enchanted Lands Park (Roswell)
Grindstone Park (Ruidoso) [27]
Alameda Park (Alamogordo) [9]
Bataan Recreation Area (Carlsbad)

Played 102 courses in 38 days (including 72 in Washington/Oregon alone). Also visited 7 national parks, hiked about 65 miles, and went to 3 new MLB stadiums. Drove about 10,500 miles total.

This brings my courses played total to 677 which looks like it currently ranks 23rd on DGCR. I'm going to list the courses that I played on this trip below. If anyone has any questions about my experience at any of them, feel free to ask and I will answer.

Stewart Pond DGC
Westmoreland City Park [9]
Alton Baker Park
Clearwater Park [9]
Dexter State Park
North Regional Park (Cottage Grove)

How did you like the Eugene area courses?

Envious of your trip!

How did you like the Eugene area courses?

Stewart Pond was probably my favorite. Really pretty area. Some cool shots. Holes were mostly well designed and challenging. Biggest negative was the multiple pins with no indicator on the tee signs but that's a lot of courses unfortunately... It looked to me like every hole had at least 1 good pin placement so if every hole was placed in the best placement and the tee signs accurately reflected that, I think it would be a great layout. It looked like they were getting ready to plant some new trees/bushes so that should make the area even nicer as well.

Dexter was nice too but probably a little overrated, in my opinion, based on my expectations. I thought the long hole across the street (5 I think) was really pretty. The elevation holes were interesting and challenging. It definitely had it's share of boring holes though.

Alton Baker was well cared for and probably about as good of a course as possible in that tight of a space in such a busy use park. It just isn't a space that's going to lend itself to an amazing course but it was enjoyable and several really interesting shots.

North Regional was pretty awful. Too many pin placements with no information. Missing/inaccurate tee signs. A lot of boring holes. Felt very sketchy between the crowd in the parking lot and all of the vandalism throughout. It did have a few interesting holes though.

Westmoreland was busy. 9 holes. Pretty uninteresting in general.

Clearwater was a decent little 9 hole course. Nothing really to complain about but nothing really special either.

Just stumbled across this thread, and it's not that old . . .

So, of the 102 courses, do any stick in your mind as outstanding courses two months later?

What did you think of Robert Burnaby park in British Columbia?

Good practice area. Not very challenging overall and only 9 holes but the elevation changes did make it somewhat interesting. Pretty area for sure. I played pretty well there too. I think I shot a 19 or 20 for the 9 holes if I remember correctly. It was basically a microcosm of my entire day playing in British Columbia. Very pretty, average in terms of difficulty, and limited on space.

Just stumbled across this thread, and it's not that old . . .

So, of the 102 courses, do any stick in your mind as outstanding courses two months later?

Sorry. I forgot to answer this reply when you originally posted it.

These are my favorites from the trip:

1. Whistler's Bend Park (Roseburg, OR) - Disc golf paradise. Incredible mix of scenery, challenge, variety, and infrastructure. Definitely in my top 20 overall.

2. L.L. Stub Stewart State Park, Hares Canyon (Portland, OR) - Definitely the most underrated course I played. I'm not sure what course the reviewers were playing. Very high on the "pacific northwest feel" scale. I played it very early in the morning. When I walked across that road and into the woods to the course, I felt like I was in a different world for 18 holes. The ferns and trees were beautiful. The holes were very challenging and diverse. Elevation played a big factor. The course was very fair overall. There's just nothing bad to say about it. I don't understand the low-ish rating at all.

3. Milo McIver State Park (Estacada/Portland, OR) - Kind of a no brainer here. Extremely challenging. My only complaint from that standpoint would be the amount of long par 3's. I found myself making a ton of 3's because I could reach the baskets but the holes definitely weren't par 4's either. I believe I shot an 81 for the 27 holes which I think is pretty good but it was just a few birdies, a few bogeys, and a lot of pars. You really have to be an elite level pro to have a chance at birdie on many of the holes. Also, it was very pretty but it wasn't as pretty as say a Stub Stewart or a NAD, in my opinion.

4. Camp Sekani Jamboree (Spokane, WA) - Tremendous property. Great use of elevation. Very challenging, yet fair. I don't remember a ton of variety. It seems like most of the holes were somewhat similar. Incredible finishing stretch of holes though. Teeing off a rock cropping, baskets on rock croppings, basket on a bridge, etc. Probably the best example I've ever seen of a course "saving the best for last".

5. Seatac DGC (Seattle, WA) - 27 holes. Very manicured. I loved how each holes felt like it had its own defined space. It was hard to keep track of where you had been or where you were going, but in a good way. The holes weren't cramped at all. A lot of variety and challenge on the course overall. Probably the only negative I would say is that the holes did get a little repetitive on the back side. It seems in my memory like there were a lot of "too long for par 3, too short for par 4" type holes", although they were tightly wooded in most cases so it still wasn't easy.

6. NAD Park (Bremerton, WA) - Probably the easiest course on the list. Probably the most beautiful as well. The evergreens and ferns and other foliage was spectacular. #1 on the "pacific northwest feel" list. Much like L.L. Stub Stewart State Park, I felt kind of detached from the world while playing this course, like I was lost in a fantasy jungle. As to the easy comment, I believe every hole had 2 pin placements and they were all in the short placement when I was there. But that's part of the negative of multiple pin placements... The player can only play what's there. Anyway, it's wasn't too easy or anything but it was a course where a good player had to shoot in the 40's to feel good about it at all. Normally that wouldn't be ranked this high on a list of mine but the setting definitely stood out.

7. Blue Lake Regional Park (Portland, OR) - Nothing too spectacular from a scenery standpoint. Some of it was pretty. Some of it was bland. All of it was manicured well. But from a disc golf standpoint, a great test. Loved the holes. A lot of real, challenging, fair par 4's and 5's.

8. Tom Pearce Park (Grants Pass, OR) - After L.L. Stub Stewart State Park, I would say this was the most underrated course that I played. Beautiful, new green Discatchers. Great tee pads. Great tee signs. Pretty property. Variety of shots. Some open, some wooded. Some long, some short. Pretty river running along side much of the course (although not really in play). Plus, any time you get a mando hole through a concrete archway, it automatically gets a slight bump in the rankings.

9. North Bonneville DGC (North Bonneville, WA) - I don't really know why I'm putting this course so high on the list, I just loved playing it. It wasn't very challenging-- I think I shot a 44. It didn't have any incredible elevation or carved fairways. It was just a beautiful park setting with pretty little trees strewn throughout. The whole town had a cool feel. It was more of a community than a town. The disc golf course kind of played throughout a lot of the town. It even starts at town hall. It seemed like the course was very intertwined with the community unlike so many places where the course is just set off by itself and unknown or forgotten about my everyone. It was just very enjoyable.

10. Shelton Springs DGC (Shelton, WA) - I thought it was a little overrated but it was still a very good course. I thought it would have more of a "pacific northwest feel", being a wooded course with such a high rating, but it really didn't. It was really just a lot of pine trees from what I remember. Most of the holes were cool. There was some sketchy design but it general it was good. It would be a nice course to have by your house but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to play it either.

Honorable Mention:

Diamond X (Billings, MT) - Unlike any other property that houses a disc golf course in the world, to my knowledge. The holes are average though. The tees are all natural. The signage is limited. As a course, it's more of a 2.0 at best. As a property, it's a 5.0. That makes it very difficult to rate. But it was definitely memorable for sure.

Golden Gate Park (San Francisco, CA) - I was very surprised at how nice this course was given it is located in such a popular park in such a large city. I usually hate courses in popular parks in large or even medium sized cities. But this one had very enjoyable holes with great tee pads and tee signs, and really felt like it has its own space carved out in the park rather than being overrun by other park users.

Green River State Park (Green River, UT) - Awesome setting in Utah with plateaus in the distance and a river running alongside. On a ball golf course. A lot of cool par 4's. Some crammed holes just to make 18. Natural tees mostly. It could be much higher with a little design work and the addition of quality tee pads. The land was nice.

Latest posts