• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just tried a Crush...pretty good overstable driver.

Burrito

Birdie Member
Ok - like many others here I'm a plastic whore. I like trying new molds in the field.

Anyway, I just picked up an ESP Crush. What a great and reliable overstable driver. I wasn't entirely happy with the distance I got from a Firebird. The Predator was better, but this thing rocks in the wind!!!

I haven't heard much about it here, and I'm wondering why? Brie someone like me with 350ish of power, this thing is a beauty! I love Trackers for their straight flight and reliable finish, and this is like one step up...so far it can handle any wind and still give me good distance. It's only rated 1.8 (same as the Tracker) but feels a bit more.

Anyone else throw the Crush?

I found a Pro-D at our Ice Bowl with no number, and nobody claimed it.

I really like this disc. I get great distance out of it, and it finishes very predictably. It has become one of my go to drivers. I need to get it in sturdier plastic, but I really like the grip of the Pro-D.

IIRC, they were plagued with run consistency issues and there are lots of other options so they aren't talked about very much. They're also relatively old compared to the discs it competes with (Avenger, Starfire-X, OLF, PD, etc). I agree that at their best they are great moderately overstable drivers. I'd keep the Pred for your very overstable duties and use the Crush for long hyzers and distance into headwinds.

I threw one until i lost it in the lake on #5 at Winthrop Gold.
The one I threw was a stable to understable distance driver.
Now it was beat to 7/10 but could not be used in the wind.
Speaking of FB's, I wish I'd used the FB instead of my beloved 172g ESP Orange Crush.
The replacement ESP Crush is definitely more stable, so maybe I got a fluke.

love da crush

I throw the Crush
I throw it in X, ESP, and Z

the X are OOP which is unfortunate cause it is a great disc
I can't decide between my Pro Destroyers and my X Crushes at the moment

the ESP is a nice reliable driver
fairly fast, reliable fade, good skip, good grip

in Z I actually use the older ones and not the current circle stamp

the new circle stamp are super flat and fly for my like a Firebird (or maybe Pred would be a better comparison)
they don't glide

the older ones are closer to the ESP
but with an added touch of stability

the complaints about consistency can be put at most drivers by any manufacturer at one time or another

I have an extra Pro D Crush sitting around if someone wants it

On windy days, I rely heavily on my Esp and Z Crushes. This is a very predictable strong wind driver.

I use a 1st run ESP surge as my goto driver but love teh crush if i need a lil more stability or a quicker turn. i agree they kick ass in the wind but dont fade as much as a pred. i use the older Z stamped ones. both are mine are from 2004 so they are a really early run..

-G

The only crush I throw came from Frank D.

It's also not consistent, it goes from trolling noobs to being very helpful and giving form advice.

Skip that post.
said something I probably will get in trouble for.
Oh, nevermind, sorry.

good luck finding consistent crushes.

good to see you back

is finding a consistent crush any different to finding a consistent Striker?

I think the potential lack of consistency makes for a single mold that can be thrown in many circumstances

X glide, tail wind
old Z and ESP decent glide, stronger winds

new circle stamp Z in place of a Firebird

having said all that I haven't had any issues with any of the X, ESP or Z Crushes I've had and they have all flown similarly

all except the new circle stamp that is
which I avoid

good to see you back

is finding a consistent crush any different to finding a consistent Striker?

I think the potential lack of consistency makes for a single mold that can be thrown in many circumstances

Well I don't throw either mold due to consistency issues so...

I think using an inconsistent mold to cover a wide variety of shots is asking for trouble. Why should I use a freak stable destroyer for my overstable distance driver when I can just buy a force? If I lose my freak stable destroyer it could take a long time to replace it with another one, whereas if I lose my force I just get another force.

I know there isn't much point in arguing with you but

so you don't use destroyers then?
and there are differences in Forces

don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying
my point was simply, at a higher level, there are inconsistencies with most of the drivers out there

the key is to use the one you like and then get more that have similar dome and PLH

I don't think you can just blame the mold itself

I use destroyers because they are overall one of the more consistent distance drivers, the same with force. I don't use Xcals anymore because they were not very consistent.

Inconsistency is obviously going to be a factor in any disc. I find it easier to not mess with the more inconsistent molds because the only two solutions to throwing those is either A) buy a lot of them, test them and find the ones you like or B) Just accept the inconsistency and try to fit it into your game. I don't have a ton of money and would rather not bend my game around certain discs.

Certain molds seem to produce more inconsistent runs, the crush happens to be one of them. Spectra, Beasts, Bosses are other examples of molds that have consistency issues.

When I was using the Crush, I would always seek out the flat ones. They're nice and stable/overstable. I don't mind inconsistencies as much when I can recognize them by sight.

Latest posts