• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Kastaplast Berg

Just bought a K1 Glow Berg with some funny money from a recent tournament. What should I expect compared to my Glimmer-X Harps?

Less distance, less glide, less fade, less skip. Thing is a BRICK. (K1 will have more fade than K3 however)

Damn this thing is a cheater disc. I've never thrown anything like it. Attempted throw-ins go no farther than 15' long, even when they skip off the top of the basket. Seems like it has so little glide that even I can't screw it up.

Plus the glow on this thing is absolutely insane. I'm not sure if it's regular glow-in-the-dark or if it's Cherenkov radiation

Well the K3 Berg has found a spot in my bag for now. I was already heavily leaning that way, but the deciding factor was on a touchy 80 footer yesterday. I was stuck behind a row of trees, and the only window was out to my right while needing the disc to finish a bit left. Full stretch flick anny was the only way of getting remotely close, and I caught cage with the Berg.

There are a lot of things this disc does well, but that type of shot is what the Berg was born for! I think this disc is going to be a stroke saver for me.

Thought I'd give an update, now that I've had the Berg in the bag for a while.

I've definitely gone through the full cycle of reactions to a new disc over the past 5 months. Everything from "this disc is magic, how have I lived without it" to "not sure I need it, maybe I should pull it out of the bag". I've settled on keeping it as a valuable tool in the bag, but I play better when I rely on more traditional/floaty putters and have the Berg available when a low glide/stable shot that doesn't go far is absolutely needed. I'm probably throwing it 3-4 times per round now, rather than 8-9 times.

Thought I'd give an update, now that I've had the Berg in the bag for a while.

I've definitely gone through the full cycle of reactions to a new disc over the past 5 months. Everything from "this disc is magic, how have I lived without it" to "not sure I need it, maybe I should pull it out of the bag". I've settled on keeping it as a valuable tool in the bag, but I play better when I rely on more traditional/floaty putters and have the Berg available when a low glide/stable shot that doesn't go far is absolutely needed. I'm probably throwing it 3-4 times per round now, rather than 8-9 times.

Yeah I was throwing mine a lot but started getting inconsistent with it on FHs and now throw my K1 Reko for nearly all shots I was using it for. I've realised what remains that isn't covered is an overstable approach disc and the Berg isn't doing that for me and perhaps I should be looking elsewhere for that.

Yeah I was throwing mine a lot but started getting inconsistent with it on FHs and now throw my K1 Reko for nearly all shots I was using it for. I've realised what remains that isn't covered is an overstable approach disc and the Berg isn't doing that for me and perhaps I should be looking elsewhere for that.

It definitely still has its uses for me. A disc that flies a relatively neutral line, never glides out too far, and isn't power hungry is an incredible combination. But the more I was throwing it, the worse I started throwing my traditional putters.

Now when looking at an approach short or short drive, I first try to envision executing the shot with a "normal" putter (typically a Judge). If there is something about the line that would cause me to question executing with a Judge (such as a low ceiling, or headwind, etc) then I move onto to the other approach options in my bag. If it's short, has danger long, or requires very little fade/skip then I prefer the Berg over something like a Zone.

I ran into someone on the course throwing a Berg. He let me throw his K1 soft off the tee to check it out. It seems to do as advertised - one throw, I threw pretty hard. No turn little fade and 200' distance. I want one.

But- I wasn't sold on the Soft K1 plastic. Is regular K1 like Champion, but grippy?

I ran into someone on the course throwing a Berg. He let me throw his K1 soft off the tee to check it out. It seems to do as advertised - one throw, I threw pretty hard. No turn little fade and 200' distance. I want one.

But- I wasn't sold on the Soft K1 plastic. Is regular K1 like Champion, but grippy?

K1 is like gummy GStar/Star plastic. I enjoyed the feel of a K3 Berg more than a K1.

I have a K1 that is similar to Champion. Works fine when it's warm, but not so much when it's cold [feels slippery]. I bought a K3, which I love the grip and it's a bit flatter of a disc. Now that it's beat in a bit, it flies straighter than the K1.

I bought a K1 Soft for my upshots since it has a nice grip to it and flexes more which is nice when the disc lands or hits trees. It doesn't seem to wear in quickly so I will use it on short drives that need some fade. I will use my K3 on short drives with less fade.

I have a K1 and K1 Glow, never tried K1 Soft. K1 and K1 Glow are almost identical in terms of feel, both are a bit like a softer, grippier champion to me.

I liked them much better than my champion discs this winter and more than most of my star discs as well, aside from my super gummy wraith.

I don't have any experince with them in hot temperatures, since the warmest air they've ever been thrown in was at room temperature indoors. But I love them in 50-60°F.

K1 is like gummy GStar/Star plastic. I enjoyed the feel of a K3 Berg more than a K1.

you probably meant K1 Soft here? Regular K1 comes in transparent and opaque plastic - both are more Champ than they are Star like, and the transparent even more so.

I would say K1 is generally a little more flexible then Champion but far more grip. I've had a half dozen discs in K1 also. I really like it. I wish they would come out with a Zone type of disc and some better drivers then the Grym/X. I personally thought they felt too shallow so I never bought one.

Hold up.

There is no K1 soft.

That's K2.

K1 is neither Champ nor Star, it's both. Some are opaque some are translucent. Same goes for K2, it's both and neither Champ/Star at the same time...just softer plastic.

K3 is a quality base plastic, I'm not sure which companies plastic I would compare it to. Old school buttery DX pr Pro-D maybe? Some of the Protege I've felt from Legacy? Idk

Hold up.

There is no K1 soft.

That's K2.

K1 is neither Champ nor Star, it's both. Some are opaque some are translucent. Same goes for K2, it's both and neither Champ/Star at the same time...just softer plastic.

K3 is a quality base plastic, I'm not sure which companies plastic I would compare it to. Old school buttery DX pr Pro-D maybe? Some of the Protege I've felt from Legacy? Idk

They changed the name K2 to K1 soft I think.

Hold up.

There is no K1 soft.

That's K2.

Is this K2? This is the very flexible translucent disc I threw. Says "K1 Soft"

attachment.php

Attachments

• 64E62720-DF20-434E-BCB9-4F9025595624.jpg
    64E62720-DF20-434E-BCB9-4F9025595624.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 166
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm wrong.

I have so many K1/K2 Bergs that I haven't even considered buying one in the past year. Maybe I should wait another year and sell my K2s for absurd amounts of money for no good reason?

Sorry people:wall:

EDIT: does that mean they're formulating a new plastic blend for K2? :popcorn:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm wrong.

I have so many K1/K2 Bergs that I haven't even considered buying one in the past year. Maybe I should wait another year and sell my K2s for absurd amounts of money for no good reason?

Sorry people:wall:

EDIT: does that mean they're formulating a new plastic blend for K2? :popcorn:

your track record is still strong Grip, no worries :)

K2 stamps are going for a premium already, so if you have any laying and around and want to cash in, definitely hit up the FB group.

Luckily no new plastic blend, and by all accounts I've seen the blend has stayed the same during the transition to the new name.

As I have come to understand things, the name change is partly a result about premium branding concerns. Since K3 is a baseline (and they are working on a different blend), the goal was to indicate to consumers that K2 was "equally premium." So, we got K1 Soft.

Don't forget how pricey Kastaplast is both here and in Europe. They can't get away with that if people perceive K2 to be "less than."

It also follows the conventions of Lat64 with their base plastics in terms of Hard, Medium, and Soft. Both aiming at the Swedish market first...

I do believe there will be a new K2 at some point and a different feeling K3 option, as well.

Ask them via their website - they respond to inquiries pretty quickly.

As a long-time user of their discs, I found this to be a silly change. But, I'm just one customer.

Last edited: