• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Kastaplast Järn

From a mail i got from a retailer i Sweden

"We're sad to say due to unfortunate errors made by Kastaplast we've had to send the discs we received last week, back to the factory to be remade. A manufacturing defect have been found on a lot of the first run discs that made them PDGA illegal. They are in the process of regrinding the faulty discs as I write this and we will get them as soon as possible! "

From Kastaplast Insta below. . guess the "real" 1st runs is going to be crazy expensive

"Tomorrow it's Järnday, and we want to give you an update about the release. As much as we are excited to release this disc, we are also sad to announce that a significant portion of the long-awaited first run discs didn't hold the standards we expect, and had to be drawn back from the release.
Due to this, the first run will be more limited than planned but the release on February 15th will proceed. However, the discs that we are taking back are recycled and made into a "First Run Regrinded" series. Still mint green like the first runs, but with a slightly different stamp. To summarize, there will be both "1st run" discs and "1st run regrinded" discs in our limited mint color.

Stock K1 JÄRN drops tomorrow here in Sweden, and the FR Regrind as well

I got two stock stamped K1 Järn today. Both 174g - one transparent pink, with a small interior dome - one opaque poison green, flat to puddle top. Plastic feels great as usual. I have not gotten a chance to throw these yet, but both feel great in the hand.

What is interesting - there are some tooling differences on this mold that I have never seen on other Kastaplast:

• Interior tooling around the disc is in larger font (Made in Sweden, PDGA Approved, Järn by Kastaplast)
  • Disc name is not on the rim, it's included in bottom flight plate tooling (Järn by Kastaplast)
  • 6 small circles where the machine latched onto the disc
  • Middle attachment point also looks slightly different than discs I've gotten recently

Either Kasta got a new machine and this was the first disc run on that machine, or Lat64 is molding these for them. I only have a small handful of Lat-molded discs, and the interior flight plate tooling is really the only thing that looks similar. I would think the 6 connection points would be consistent on those discs, but my limited supply didn't have those.

My hypothesis is a new machine. Maybe this was the reason the first runs were so inconsistent? Any thoughts?

Anyone seen a Jarn (or Reko X) for sale in the states?

Shop in Tulsa had one Jarn left today. I passed since I dig the Quake and they appear to be very similar. They got some of the first run re-grinds, said they all had some dome.

I picked up two stock runs, a white 172g and a swirly purple 174g. I ordered them from discsport in Sweden though, haven't seen anywhere in the US have them in stock for long enough to have a chance at getting one.

Both have a board flat top with little to no shoulder. They have a similar bottom rim shape to a zone, but with a higher PLH, but feel at least as good in the hand as a Zone to me. I've only played one full round and done some field work with them, but I'd be kinda surprised if the Järn doesn't kick both zones, the A2, and the Z Buzzz OS all out of my bag. It's just fast enough to cover the Buzzz OS lines with better hand feel, and OS enough to do everything the Zone or A2 could.

I threw harps for a long time before switching to the zone, have thrown a number of other OS approach discs, and have definitely developed some favorites for that slot. There's a lot of great discs for it, but for my game, the Järn is the best one I've tried. The little bit of extra speed makes it so versatile! I can smash it full power and get a straight to heavy fade flight still, but push that out to a bit over 300'. Or, I can throw very touchy upshots, or short dramatic flexes, or controlled skip shots around a corner, or those stiff headwind putts, or overtorque a FH without much consequence, or blah, blah, blah. I could talk for way too long about how much I like the Järn.

In reference to the question about the different font size on the rim and the 6 ejector pin marks on the bottom of the flight plate, I highly doubt Lat64 is molding these. I ordered an X-out Lots to try along with the Järns, and it too has the larger font size (though still on the rim for the Lots), the 6 ejector pin marks, and the slightly different center sprue (where the plastic is injected into the mold). I would guess the hypothesis that Kastaplast got a new molding machine is likely to be correct. The difference in if there are those 6 little circles, or at least how prominent they are, is probably due entirely to how long each disc was allowed to cool in the mold after injection, before those pins push the disc out of the mold along with the stiffness of the plastic used.

All right, sorry for the wall of text, I just got excited about these!

not impressed at all with the jarn. out the bag, i'll sell it, kind of unimpressed

not impressed at all with the jarn. out the bag, i'll sell it, kind of unimpressed

Care to elaborate on what was so unimpressive? Genuinely asking. Love k1, and a kasta zone sounds awesome. But, good to hear the good and the bad!

well ive used zones and tactics in that spot(ive exo soft and hard and a razor claw2- lost the rc2) but before the jarn drops i got infatuated and bought a westside anvil, dd justice and a yikun hammer(had a pro pig for a while too)

From what ive seen from throws of the Jarn is just a not what i like in that slot. its kinda like a zone and justice combo, which is weird to me. I can get a nicer glide and turn from my zone, and its really overstable at lower speeds(i dont use this spot for distance at all) The zone, the RC2 and the anvil I had an immediate, 'i like the feeling and flight', the jarn, of course i liked the plastic, but the feeling was ok and the flight was just different, it started to glide and then it hooked up fairly fast.

Im sure for people that want to work it into their bags they can learn it but i just think there are other discs in that range, with long histories, easy to get new or used, that are better. Im not a big 'better/worst/best' guy, because everyone is different, hands, size, course style that will be played. BUT, in this case it was a huge let down because i had taken some time with old and new discs to see how it would compare.

id put my choices in order like this
zone
rc 2
anvil
yikun hammer is a bit slower but interesting in feel and price (9$)
justice is faster but very meat hooky if i need that much beef

Infinite got some in stock, I have two on the way, hooray! I will throw up a review when I get them. Pretty sure they are gone but cool that some are showing up on digital shelves, gives me hope that I can get what I really want the most, a Reko X.

My wife picked up the last First Run Regrind at our local store this week. I have only thrown it once, and was immediately shocked at how fast it hit the ground. It was a short approach shot but I was still 28 feet out after my approach. I typically use a RC2 and expected a little more glide. I do like the over stability though. I will definitely keep trying it out this weekend.

Latest posts