• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] KC Aviar Question

Just got these 3 bad boys in the mail. All of them have the "party time" stamp.

picture.php

That's a beautiful disc. : o
The 9X's are a weird thing. They were the old big bead mold (easiest way to explain it is that in the 90's the big bead and small bead were basically the same disc with only the bead being different. In the 00's they retooled the big bead into the Aviar X and the nose is blunt along with the bead being different now. A 9X is basically an Aviar P 'N A with a big bead) and they are not the super-hard KC plastic, so they are not magic like the 10X. I just liked them; I'm a weenie arm so I really wasn't dying for a beefier Aviar. I had a bunch, I'm down to I think three. I'm not going to go hunting for new ones and pay crazy money for something I'm going to throw into a tree. I really need to pick up some regular old 12X and just throw them.

Just got these 3 bad boys in the mail. All of them have the "party time" stamp.

picture.php
Does the black KC plastic have that weird really grippy thing the black Wizards have? I'm not a big "gotta have so-and-so color" guy but there really is something to the feel of the black Gateway putters.

here's my special max weight CFR Glow KC Pro Aviar:

15646681886_e27fe5cb19_z.jpg

its a wall hanger though. I'd actually throw it, but I don't throw/putt with KC Pro's. I do putt with their glide-y but just as overstable beadless cousin - the pro plastic Discmania P2.

Okay, scratch that - FOUR different toolings on the bottom. Four discs, four different thingies on the back.

When does the tooling change? I wish I had a better camera.

Yeah my throwers have different tooling.

Just depends on how old they are.

I have a bunch of colors; red, blue, purple, pink, yellow, orange, baby blue and of course white.

I have never come across a green KC Pro Aviar.

Even though they make green McPros.

Does the black KC plastic have that weird really grippy thing the black Wizards have? I'm not a big "gotta have so-and-so color" guy but there really is something to the feel of the black Gateway putters.

Completely agree about black Gateway plastic. It leaves my hands with almost a residue, not that I mind b/c I prefer the them.

The only KC I own was an unmarked found disc someone left in the 18th hole basket at my home course. It is a two ring San Marino that if not for the stamp and age, would swear was a Yeti for how concave it is. Also not hard KC at all, in fact rather soft.

The only KC I own was an unmarked found disc someone left in the 18th hole basket at my home course. It is a two ring San Marino that if not for the stamp and age, would swear was a Yeti for how concave it is. Also not hard KC at all, in fact rather soft.
The Yeti thing was a way to duplicate out of the box a putter characteristic that you see a lot in older, beat in putters. The flight plate will kinda drop, which seems like not a lot but that little bit makes the disc feel "oh, yeah!" in your hand. I like Yeti's, I really do. Personally I kinda prefer a regular putter that I beat into the "oh, yeah" zone. Before I lost my mind and started swapping putters willy-nilly six or seven years ago my putting putter was always an old beat-in driving putter that developed that sunken plate/good in the hand feel. I'd go back to that if I had half an ounce of common sense. :|

Yeah my throwers have different tooling.

Just depends on how old they are.

I have a bunch of colors; red, blue, purple, pink, yellow, orange, baby blue and of course white.

I have never come across a green KC Pro Aviar.

Even though they make green McPros.
I asked a guy who worked at a disc manufacturer about tooling and he seemed genuinely confused. He said the tooling is on the core and they can swap out cores all day and not change the flight of the disc at all. The disc we were talking about was the CAL vs CA TeeBirds; he was convinced that if there was a difference it was due to something else that was changed in the mold when they switched the core; the core shouldn't matter. His take was that since to tooling is different we know SOMETHING is different and the change in flight that we notice is in our heads becasue we noticed that something is different. That's just one guy and I have no idea if he is right or not, but he knows more about it than I do.

Hmm. That makes sense, though. They all fly like kc aviars. I was more wondering about timelines, molds wearing out, etc.

I personally hate the sunken top on older putters. I want my putter with a nice and high, rounded shoulder and flat top, deep dish as possible.

I LOVE IT for driving and approaching though.

Well here's my take on it. The black Wizards I've had start out with a lot more grip than black KC Aviars. Every black KC Aviar I've had starts out firmer & more slick than any other color 12x KC (weird right). Though once they break in they have much better grip than KCs that aren't black. Black DX Aviar P&As have much better grip than other colored DX Aviars. The closest thing I've every found to the feel of black Wizards are beat up black DX Aviars. Black KCs end up having much better grip to them than black McPros when they're both beat up. McPros tend to keep a little bit of that glossy feeling & the KCs lose it. So to answer your original question. Once black KCs get beat up they're similar to new black Wizards. Black DX Aviars (especially beat up) are much closer to new black Wizards. So there's a lot more information than you asked for :)
picture.php

I want them to make bb aviars in mcpro...or just make them in good kc pro.

I think they've had a run of kc I don't like.

The kc aviar I've been coming across lately aren't as firm and they're slick with almost a record style top. Anybody else having this issue?

Still having the same issue but still able to find kc aviars that I like.

Think I'm gonna bag star aviar drivers, jk aviars and kc pro together for different purposes. The jk aviars will be good for short drives and touch shots. The sticky plastic gives me better touch and feel for release. I love the bb omega in the ss plastic and I imagine the jk will be similar with some seasoning.

The kc aviar has been in my bag far longer than any other mold -going on two years now. Not too shabby. The more putters I try the more I feel like I've got my forever putter in the bag already.

I definitely get better drives out of JK's than KC's for some reason.

I definitely get better drives out of JK's than KC's for some reason.

Yeah, after crushing some omega ss big beads today I realized I just don't like driving my kc aviars as much when fresh. I can dig my thumb in more on a softer disc. And I can use star aviar drivers for the bookend. Just like I do with my orions, pd2, etc.

It doesn't bug me since the jk\aviar driver are still the same mold. Still keeps my molds minimized as I like.

Still having the same issue but still able to find kc aviars that I like.

Think I'm gonna bag star aviar drivers, jk aviars and kc pro together for different purposes. The jk aviars will be good for short drives and touch shots. The sticky plastic gives me better touch and feel for release. I love the bb omega in the ss plastic and I imagine the jk will be similar with some seasoning.

The kc aviar has been in my bag far longer than any other mold -going on two years now. Not too shabby. The more putters I try the more I feel like I've got my forever putter in the bag already.
I'm upset that Star Aviar Drivers are OOP now. :wall: I play very wooded courses. I was trying to make the switch to Star BB Aviars for my driving putters. I can't get myself to do it now. I want premium plastic BB Aviars, it sucks there's none in regular production anymore. I just ordered 2 Champion Glow BB Aviars...they'll take FOREVER to beat in like I want. You should cherish the Star Aviar Drivers you have.

I'm upset that Star Aviar Drivers are OOP now. :wall: I play very wooded courses. I was trying to make the switch to Star BB Aviars for my driving putters. I can't get myself to do it now. I want premium plastic BB Aviars, it sucks there's none in regular production anymore. I just ordered 2 Champion Glow BB Aviars...they'll take FOREVER to beat in like I want. You should cherish the Star Aviar Drivers you have.

Wait, whaaaaat???? Oop?

Wait, whaaaaat???? Oop?
It sucks I know. I went into a local disc shop Friday afternoon after work. There was no Star Aviar Drivers in stock. I asked & the shop owner told me they're going OOP soon. I hope it's not true. If you go on the Innova website they're no longer listed under putters when you look at the page with all the molds listed. Though you can still see the page for the Aviar Driver if you google it.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc-golf-discs/
http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/aviar-driver/
This website says there OOP
https://www.chainreactiondiscgolf.com/product/star-aviar-driver/

That's unfortunate.

I go back in forth with BBs. I have one really nice star aviar driver that bookends my KCs perfectly. Little bit less glide, little more fade vs a fresh KC.

One of the things that drives me crazy about Innova is they keep messing with OG molds. Enough with the VTEC, 3 series, and high speed under stable junk.

Latest posts