• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping up technique inside

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
For us midwesterners, the season of warm weather is slowly coming to an end. That and as a college student, I'm not able to get out nearly as much as the past few months. I don't want to lose power/technique that I spent this summer building. Does anybody know of ways to excersise my throw when I can't get out and actually throw (even just in a field)?

There's no sure fire way to really keep up your technique in the winter unless you can find somewhere to actually throw.

You can do some drills using a towel, but that can only do so much for you.

If you don't play in the winter, you will be rusty again in the spring. However, it shouldn't take long to get back to playing like you are currently.

try to see if you can use the baseball hitting cages(nets) that you gym most likely has, and throw in there if they allow you to.

Hey man,

I'm in the same scenario- college, midwestern-er. We used to do these exercises back when I was a swimmer. Get to your Rec center and do this! Start as picture illustrates. Keep elbow to your side and pull away from your body (on a horizontal plane- i.e. even with the ground). This should work your tricep. Notice how you can start in the same position, but switch hands. Take a step away (parallel to the rope) and now pull in, towards your body. I stress: keep your elbow tucked to your body.

You can also bring this to shoulder level for the full "rip". Reach all the way back and pull shoulder to shoulder. Switch sides on both exercises. Hope this helps!

http://www.stack.com/exercise/5302/Stretch-Cord/

My issue isn't playing in the cold; winter golf is fun. Mostly for me it's the time..I just don't have enough time to get out consistantly enough right now, plus in the winter it just gets busier.

Thanks for the suggestions other than to just play in the cold.

I guess it depends on what type of school you go to. I went to a small school, so we didn't have much in terms of a Rec center, but I know a lot of schools have a rec center that might offer some help. For instance, Anderson University in Indiana has in their rec center gym hanging dividers, Throwing into those dividers won't hurt your discs, but will allow you to throw at full strength. The only problem is, you won't see the flight paths of the discs.

One piece of advice, don't use a couch. It seemed like a good idea the other day, and I was so focused on my hips that I got a little loose on my release and skipped the top and tore up the wall a bit. One of those crap moments.

Get good at putting inside the circle. Invest in a freestanding basket and set it up in the garage, basement, or the hall. I can practice 50-footers in my hallway and it forces me to shoot lazer-straight at my basket. Just be thoughtful of others here...I wouldn't do this if my neighbor or my roomie were at home!

Latest posts