• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LA, MS, AL next week 2/18-24

discRabbit

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Hey all, I'm swinging through the area next week (48th and 49th DG states) and wanted to get any recommendations you all had and to see if anyone wants to meet up for a round.

On our must hit list so far:

Parc des Families
Lindsey DGC
Admiral
Privet Drive
Lake Sehoy
Lake Claiborne
Highland road
St. Julian
Eagle's Nest

Is Loblolly Farm worth looking at, seems strange from just the description/pictures?

Last edited:
I don't have any recommendations. Mrs ru4por and I are heading down to Jackson starting the 25th. This is my tentative itinerary. We are not really traveling, as much as staying in one spot and knocking down some local courses. Keep us [me] posted on how things go.

Privet Drive
Moccasin Bend
Chautauqua Park
Center City
Ross Barnett Reservoir
Gray Center
Inspiration Point
Little Black Creek
Parc des Families [too close to NOT knock down LA]

idk your style of play but if you like wooded and shorter ish courses there is a complex of 3 courses called "blue angel" that was really fun and i would stop in again by pensacola fl

graham creek pecan hollow is also wooded and legit but the other 2 courses on site suck ass (theyre open bomber style)

Hey all, I'm swinging through the area next week (48th and 49th DG states) and wanted to get any recommendations you all had and to see if anyone wants to meet up for a round.

Parc des Families
Lindsey DGC
Admiral
Privet Drive
Lake Sehoy
Lake Claiborne
Highland road
St. Julian
Eagle's Nest

Is Loblolly Farm worth looking at, seems strange from just the description/pictures?
This is a good list. I would add Hiller Park in Gulfport and McLeod Park in Kiln, MS (my soon-to-be home course) if you're on the I-10 corridor. I wish we would be there in time to give you a proper tour. Also, Highland is my original home course where I honed my skills back in the '80's. I hope you and Sheila find some affordable crawfish while you're down that way!

Perfect, just the man I wanted to hear from! I was wondering if you had already moved out of Washington. When do you leave?

Parc des Families
Lindsey DGC
Admiral
Privet Drive
Lake Sehoy
Lake Claiborne
Highland road
St. Julian
Eagle's Nest

Can't go wrong with Parc Des Families

Lindsey - do you mean in Tyler TX?

Admiral - only heard good things about this one

Privet Drive - I too may be playing this one in a few weeks
Lake Sehoy - Another course I may be playing in a few weeks

Highland Road - good course in a park setting. Has some really good holes and some decent elevation.

St. Julian - It's worth a stop

Eagle's Nest - 2 courses on site, the other one is shorter and more park like.

Courses you should consider

Mike Brown designed Lake Claiborne, he also designed 3 different courses on Toledo Bend Lake, they are ALL Championship level courses

Just south of Jackson MS is Chautauqua Park in Crystal Springs, so far it is my favorite course in MS (but then I have only played 30 something) I would play it over Eagles Nest for sure if given a choice.

Perfect, just the man I wanted to hear from! I was wondering if you had already moved out of Washington. When do you leave?
March 19 is the target date. Gpt the RV gassed up and planning a very circuitous route to bag a couple of new states I haven't played in.

Since you're heading towards the Mobile area and like wooded courses I have to recommend Chickasabogue Park. You will hit trees.

Hey @cefire.....what did you end up playing around Jackson? I have a handful of days left to play and am curious to hear any reports....including Parc des Families. Hope you had a good trip.

@ru4por I have played just about everything around Jackson now (I played 7 courses in the area this last week)

As far as Louisiana, only one person has played more than I have. The only area I have not played is the area north of New Orleans and East of Baton Rouge.

@ru4por I have played just about everything around Jackson now (I played 7 courses in the area this last week)

As far as Louisiana, only one person has played more than I have. The only area I have not played is the area north of New Orleans and East of Baton Rouge.
I have been appreciative of your course updates. (y) Actually we went and had a great afternoon playing a couple rounds at Fossil Peak, based on your review. We got out and played Ross Barnett Reservoir - The Rez DGC. Probably a great course, once upon a time. They are in the process of clearing the land of pines....infestation, I am assuming. Played Center City DGC today and had a blast. What unique golf experience, terrain unlike any I have played. I have a brother in law visiting our Airbnb for a couple days. We will likely play Old Trace tomorrow, allowing him to get in a bike ride on Natchez Trace Parkway.

We will be moving to more outlying courses later in the week and the weekend. We have the following left on the tentative list. Any feedback or insight is always appreciated. We are only playing a course a day. Wife and doggo are playing along and we like to get back, shower up and find some nice eats each night. I'm more of a lightweight bagger these days.

Privet Drive
Chautauqua Park
Gray Center
Inspiration Point
Little Black Creek

Privet Drive
Chautauqua Park
Gray Center
Inspiration Point
Little Black Creek
I have Privet Drive on my todo list. Heard good things about that one.

Chautauqua Park - well worth it, I think it is the best course I have played in MS so far.

Gray Center - Ok, #1 call Chip to see if you can play the camp course. The Gray Center course across the street is closing down, he could not give me permission to play the course, but also said no one would call the cops on me either. The Camp course is not that bad from the Whites, it has some challenging and interesting holes. The other course is much longer, there is no map available (only the front nine is on the other app). They are pulling the baskets soon and hopefully will redesign a course on the land they still own. (they sold part of the property the course is on)

Inspiration Point - Hopefully hitting that one soon too.

Little Black Creek - It's so far from me, I am hoping to hit is anyways. Heard only good things about it.

Parc Des Families - course #1400 for me, made a 2 day trip to play that one, did a day of disc golf and a day of sight seeing New Orleans. It's a very pretty course, my wife took hundreds of pictures. Found out after I waded into the pond on 17 that it does have an alligator that lives in it.

I may recommend this, skip Gray Center and head north to Eagles Nest in George Payne Cossar State Park. 2 courses for the price of one too.

Finished the trip on Saturday, here's the brief rundown:

1. Lindsey Park - Dogwood
2. Lindsey Park - Cedar
3. South Spring DGC - this course was really well-kept and tight, tight challenging woods (recommended)
4. Clyde Fant DGC - We played this in the late evening in Shreveport, was an excellent vibe and great finish to a long day! Only recommend if you enjoy the old-school feel (which I do!)
5. Highland Park (Shreveport) - played this right at dusk (do not recommend :p)
6. Lake Claiborne SP - Dogwood
7. Lake Claiborne SP - Whitetail (both Claiborne courses are great and camping here was easy and relatively empty, recommended)
8. Fort Buhlow Purple
9. Fort Buhlow Green (These courses have some interesting holes but not a "must play" at all)
10. St. Julien Park - got a nice ace here over one of the water holes - the course is interesting/unique, but doesn't reach my level for recommended
11. Acadiana Park Ace Run
12. Acadiana Park Duzee - both are fun woodsy courses and enjoyable, but nothing particularly special
13. Highland Road Park (Baton Rouge) - this course is very well-designed, fun, and pretty (recommended)
14. Parc des Famillles - highly, highly recommend not only because the course is challenging and well-designed, but it is unique - I've never played a course like it. Unfortunately this was also the course I threw my absolute worst! I wanted a revenge round but we had to move on

15. Lafreniere Park - very cool city park in New Orleans - we had awesome morning mist while playing, birds flying everywhere, and city folk out enjoying the day.
16. City Park (New Orleans) - this is a great multi-use park layout (recommended)
17. Hiller Park Biloxi - very average but not very well-maintained (not recommended)
18. Admiral (Mobile, AL) - it's a Houck so it has everything that I love about disc golf (especially true multi-fairway holes). Not as challenging as most Houck designs probably because it is on a very small plot of land. (Highly recommend both for course-baggers and especially for course designers)
19. Lake Sehoy - Very challenging with a nice balance of tight woods and relatively open. I think the design still needs work but I would still recommend even as it currently plays

20. Chautauqua - This course feels old school and unfortunately suffers from lack of maintenance. I enjoyed playing here but at the same time didn't feel particularly inspired by it. It strongly reminds me of Pratt Park in Virginia. Only moderately recommend
21. Chennault Chain (Green?) Course - this was a course we played just as dusk was falling. It is very straightforward/standard but also reasonably good. There are actually 3 courses here but we only got to play the one. It doesn't reach recommended status but it is right off the highway so easy to swing through
22. Ingram Park (Longview) - Had some time to fit in a quick nine - this course is nine holes and they're worth playing but nothing special (not recommended)
23. Preserve (Mineola) - We had a bit of time to play with so stopped by the preserve. It was OK but nothing near recommended status
24. Cherry Creek (Canton) - This one surprised me in a good way. I can see that it wouldn't be great for a full tournament day, but many good holes and would make for an excellent home course for practice. Moderate recommend
25. Harry Myers 2.0, round 2.0 (return play) highly recommend

26. Hideaway Scorpion (return play)
27. Hideaway Roadrunner (return play) - both Hideaway courses are fantastic, strongest highly recommend!

Bold, underlined
are my top picks from what we saw (or for the last three, saw again)

Last edited:
Finished the trip on Saturday, here's the brief rundown:

1. Lindsey Park - Dogwood
2. Lindsey Park - Cedar
3. South Spring DGC - this course was really well-kept and tight, tight challenging woods (recommended)
4. Clyde Fant DGC - We played this in the late evening in Shreveport, was an excellent vibe and great finish to a long day!
5. Highland Park (Shreveport) - played this right at dusk (do not recommend :p)
6. Lake Claiborne SP - Dogwood
7. Lake Claiborne SP - Whitetail (both Claiborne courses are great and camping here was easy and relatively empty, recommended)
8. Fort Buhlow Purple
9. Fort Buhlow Green (These courses have some interesting holes but not a "must play" at all)
10. St. Julien Park - got a nice ace here over one of the water holes - the course is interesting/unique, but doesn't reach my level for recommended
11. Acadiana Park Ace Run
12. Acadiana Park Duzee - both are fun woodsy courses and enjoyable, but nothing particularly special
13. Highland Road Park (Baton Rouge) - this course is very well-designed, fun, and pretty (recommended)
14. Parc des Famillles - highly, highly recommend not only because the course is challenging and well-designed, but it is unique - I've never played a course like it. Unfortunately this was also the course I threw my absolute worst! I wanted a revenge round but we had to move on
15. Hiller Park Biloxi - very average but not very well-maintained (not recommended)
16. Admiral (Mobile, AL) - it's a Houck so it has everything that I love about disc golf (especially true multi-fairway holes). Not as challenging as most Houck designs probably because it is on a very small plot of land. (Highly recommend both for course-baggers and especially for course designers)
17. Lake Sehoy - Very challenging with a nice balance of tight woods and relatively open. I think the design still needs work but I would still recommend even as it currently plays
18. Chautauqua - This course feels old school and unfortunately suffers from lack of maintenance. I enjoyed playing here but at the same time didn't feel particularly inspired by it. It strongly reminds me of Pratt Park in Virginia. Only moderately recommend
19. Chennault Chain Course - this was a course we played just as dusk was falling. It is very straightforward/standard but also reasonably good. There are actually 3 courses here but we only got to play the one. It doesn't reach recommended status but it is right off the highway so easy to swing through
20. Ingram Park (Longview) -
21. Preserve (Mineola) -
22. Cherry Creek (Canton)
23. Hideaway Scorpion (return play)
24. Hideaway Roadrunner (return play) - both Hideaway courses are fantastic, highly recommend!
You're a beast!

It sure felt like it a few of those days! I was averaging around 30,000 steps on my fitbit - most of these courses were long and my wife and I usually opt for the longest tees when we play. What doesn't break you makes you stronger? Or maybe just breaks your back a little more? :p

BTW - DGCR now says "States Played is 51"

This is the case even though I have not played in New Jersey - a very strange bug!

idk your style of play but if you like wooded and shorter ish courses there is a complex of 3 courses called "blue angel" that was really fun and i would stop in again by pensacola fl

graham creek pecan hollow is also wooded and legit but the other 2 courses on site suck ass (theyre open bomber style)
Spot on about Graham Creek. I enjoyed Pecan Hollow (played it first). Then was so disappointed with the other two. Just noticed there's a fourth course there now. I'm sure the gf will drag me to the beach soon so I can opportunistically play it.

Latest posts