• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lack of local disc stores

I feel bad for some of you guys. I have 4 stores here in town with decent to good disc selections, at least 2 in the next town over that I can think of, and a mobile pro shop operating out of a huge truck / van thing that has a great selection, and if you are buying a decent amount, like usualy I am, you can call him up and he will show up at your house to sell you your discs. Beat that, I can buy discs at my house without the pain of waiting for them to show up through the mail.

I cant imagine anyone could make enough money with a brick and mortar disc golf store to even keep the lights on, let alone make a profit.

Spinski's in Grand Rapids is the place to buy around here, but I always wonder how and if they make a buck. All they sell is discs and DG related merchandise and I think it's only open 4 hours a day.

The big chain stores are horrible and usually nobody working there knows anything about DG. Consider yourself lucky if you have a solely DG shop.

Sports Authority and a clothing shop here. SA only sells dx innova and they have about 100 stingrays. Clothing shop varies, she only orders discs when she runs out and only Innova. She doesnt know anything about disc golf so Innova makes her order, which is 80 star Xcalibers and the rest is mixed Destroyers Wraiths and all the tye dye discs. Closest REAL store is 60 miles away, he has a great selection though. All brands. I still prefer online.

When in still lived in Holland I had to travel 60 miles to the closest discgolf store. Right now I live about 4,5 miles from the closest store in Helsinki, Finland. Of course there's also the budget sports and other sports stores but they sell their plastic at ridiculous prices.

Besides that it's the westside rep at our local course that sells lat64 and westside from the trunk of his car on sundays during the disc season.

Same here. I have a Dick's in town but all they sell are Innova, about 30 Wolfs, a champ Monarch,and some dx Archangels. PIAS is about 20 miles away in Indy.They have all Innova DX. IDK if there are any other disc stores in Indiana.

The "Magic Bus" in broadripple has a pretty good amount. They carry different manufacturers, baskets and bags. Years ago they donated $500 for the front nine concrete tee pads at Sahm. "The Basket Case" in the Liberty Bell flea market has a booth (E. Washington St). They are a sponsor of the Indy club. They have a link on the indydiscgolf.com site.

Dunham's in Ashland (35 or 40 minutes away) plus a soccer store near Armco Park (almost an hour away) are the closest stores I have. I don't go in them often, because I always feel like I need to buy something so they keep stocking the discs ;)

Jimbo, I feel your pain brother. Chico has the a** end for selection for very unreasonable prices if you ask me. Play it again sports is probably the best option in town but that is if they have a decent inventory at the moment. I buy all of mine online, tourneys, or my buddies who are all disc hoarders. :gross:

Man I feel bad for you guys. Sports Authority carries a mediocre selection around here just like you guys are talking about. I kind of play it as a lottery -- every once in a while they have some cool stuff and I buy it all.
But my local disc golf store is great (albeit somewhat more expensive)
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com/
Still though, the internet is a great way to shop for discs.

I am from switzerland, but I always order from discgolfcenter.com, because the only disc shop here in switzerland isnt a disc shop, but a club that sells some discs on the side. And they dont have a single one of the molds I use.

discgolfcenter is great though.

I am just curious how someone stumbles across a 4 month old thread about Local disc stores.

To contribute:
We have a nice Play It Again Sports in Raleigh and one not so nice. I check them both out as you can get some pretty good deals on some nice used plastic. Actually got a 9/10 GL Fuse from the used section for around $10 which is very nice since no where around here carries Lat 64 so that saved me on both the cost of the disc and the shipping.

We have Dick's, but they only carry Innova and crappy selection at that (more than 15 grooves on the shelf :( ). There's also a local pharmacy supplied by our course designer but he only puts DX plastic in there and only Innova as well. I'm not into anything in DX plastic, so I don't go there and I only throw 3 molds of Innova (Aviar, Roc and Firebird) none of which are carried at either store (unless I buy the 3 pack beginner pack - all DX).

So I'm screwed in this area unless I drive an hour to Canton. I'm looking into getting some space in a local store and giving people an actual place to get them.

:'( sucks

Where I am now there are two places. Both places are way over priced and two I have enough discs I don't need any more. I am worried about the new guys in the area having no selection and having to pay too much. Most of the guys around here buy off-line anyway.

SW Ohio area has a couple good stores that I know of with a decent selection other than Innova and Discraft and there is always someone at the tournaments selling a good selection of disc. I frequent theNati way too much but just can not help myself. It's located it a majestic urban park with a challenging course with hole one located a 100 yards away from the front door. Last week I noticed they had an MVP selection and spotted the IONs I've read about. Did not buy one at that time. This week, I'm reading the fanatical DGCR post about the IONS and could not keep myself from stopping by and picking up one. It's convenient to have a local establishment that specializes in Disc Golf and accessories.

I am just curious how someone stumbles across a 4 month old thread about Local disc stores.

To contribute:
We have a nice Play It Again Sports in Raleigh and one not so nice. I check them both out as you can get some pretty good deals on some nice used plastic. Actually got a 9/10 GL Fuse from the used section for around $10 which is very nice since no where around here carries Lat 64 so that saved me on both the cost of the disc and the shipping.

I PM'ed Tim about an old thread about a suggestion on a new feature.... Course pages that have info about local DG stores (maybe soon!?) I came across this thread and found another local that didn't know about a few local businesses that sold Discs, and it took off.

Gotta love that search feature! I think I re-started a few threads that are older than 4/5 months. Maybe one a little over a year!?

I'm lucky. My home course is 12 miles away and has a good pro shop <SYLMAR!>. Plus about 60 miles south is Discovering the World and the La Mirada Pro shop, so I'm good.

Latest posts