• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Largest Ring of Fire Ever?? 200 Players!!

Earic02

Par Member
At our Ace Race this year, I plan to do a ring of fire with all of our players. (With a custom marble / spin-dyed, fiery-themed disc for the winner!)

My ultimate goal is to have 200 players this year, but we'll have at least 150. (based on 130 last year, good player packs, lots and lots of promo, etc.)

It will be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME to see that many discs in the air at one time, and we are definitely going to do it, but of course the thought of 200 players all retrieving their discs at the same time for the first round scares me. Mostly because of the time factor, and the "whose idea WAS this???" factor... (But hopefully it's fun and not too frustrating!)

Plus, they're all going to be the same exact disc and one of probably only 3 or less colors due to our Ace Race being so late in the year.

I don't want everyone to have to bring with them or go get a putter from their collection, so that's out. (I think, for simplicity.)

Obviously, everyone's discs will be marked.

Do you guys think we'll be ok?

How far back do you think we'll have to be for 180 / 200 people and a little shoulder room? 50 feet? 75? (I haven't done the math / sketch yet..)

How long do you think it will take? I'm hoping we'd have a winner in 20 minutes or less..

What's the biggest ring of fire you've seen / done / heard of??
(An unofficial record would be AWESOME!!)

Getting this on film and the fun of it will (I hope!) more than make up for the chaos of disc pick up.

Thoughts and ideas are welcomed!!

Like: Maybe we'll only let one side of the circle get their discs at a time!

I don't really like this one, but: Maybe we do 2 alternating circles for the first round, where you stand behind a person, so it splits everyone if half. It would be one circle of 2, 2, 2, 2, etc. (But I'd rather all discs fly at once!)

I think a CTP would probably work better. Good luck having 200 people try to figure out which disc is theirs.

I think it will be a nightmare to get discs back to their owners if you plan on using the Ace Race disc. I also think that you may have a winner after the first round if the players are throwing drivers from 50' away. Good luck

Yep, maybe "waves" of CTP's would be better....
MAYBE!!: each group all throws at the same time as they file out to go to their assigned first holes!!

It would be like 10-15 people in a semi-circle all throwing at an open hole at the same time.

That's a cool idea... And I've always thought it would be awesome for everyone to be able to watch some shots all at the same time..

For that, would you do any metal beats a parked 1 foot shot? What's the standard, if there is one??

And any metals go to a tie breaker?..

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Yep, maybe "waves" of CTP's would be better....
MAYBE!!: each group all throws at the same time as they file out to go to their assigned first holes!!

It would be like 10-15 people in a semi-circle all throwing at an open hole at the same time.

That's a cool idea... And I've always thought it would be awesome for everyone to be able to watch some shots all at the same time..

For that, would you do any metal beats a parked 1 foot shot? What's the standard, if there is one??

And any metals go to a tie breaker?..

Thanks for any input!
Kind of like this idea. Do waves of 20 or so.
Wave throws and the ctp advances x10

Those people advance and do 2 waves of 5 and those 2 ctps advance.

Finals = 2 people, ctp wins.

Why would you have to make people use the Ace Race disc? Just have them use their own putter or mid.

Kind of like this idea. Do waves of 20 or so.
Wave throws and the ctp advances x10

Those people advance and do 2 waves of 5 and those 2 ctps advance.

Finals = 2 people, ctp wins.

I like where you're going with this.

MAYBE: Keep the top 4 closest shots out there until they get knocked off... then a final 4, either at the same time, or one at a time..

But would an ace just take it??

(I like keeping everyone's groups together for the first round of shots and only one extra round after that, for time's sake.)

Why would you have to make people use the Ace Race disc? Just have them use their own putter or mid.

Just so people don't have to carry anything else with them or have to go back to their cars. I don't want anyone leaving as it's a pain to round people up and wait for everyone to come back..

I want to keep it simple and I'm digging the CTP now, instead.

I did a ring of fire a couple of years ago with about 80 people? We used to baskets so it was more of a "oval of fire". Actually worked pretty well. Think I have youtube footage...

Last edited:
Am Worlds had at least this many and broke it down into 4 groups by birth month: Jan-Mar; Apr-Jul; Aug-Oct; Sep-Dec.

At GBO, they did Red putters, then White putters, then Black putters...

No way you can do everyone at once...

I did a ring of fire a couple of years ago with about 140 people. We used to baskets so it was more of a "oval of fire". Actually worked pretty well. Think I have youtube footage...

^I like it. There's another basket that's kinda close so there might be some sort of creative way to split everyone to 2 baskets..

A portable for the 2nd basket is an option, but obviously wouldn't catch as well so some say that wouldn't be fair.

2 portables then would be the most ideal.. or even 3 in a triangle spaced out a bit to spread the discs out and keep a giant circle!!

We have options, so thank you for the ideas!!

Whichever we do, it's awesome to have new ideas each year to try / alternate!!

We had one at the St Patty's Day Tourney and had 170 players registered. I think we had at least 150 for the ring and it worked OK. People need to use their own discs though, and we were pretty far away to make shoulder room. I actually got one in !! I used an FLX Buzz and aimed 6 feet to the right and let the flood of other disc knock mine in. There were 9 other discs in that basket next to mine!! Great fun.

The circumference of a 10m circle is 103 feet.
With 200 people all evenly spaced, each person would have about 6 inches to work with.
(Insert sexual innuendo here.)

The circumference of a 10m circle is 103 feet.
Double that actually. 10 meters is the radius, not the diameter.

To me more than 40 people in a single circle is overkill. Just make multiple circles if you want to have more than that.

1 basket and 150+ people with throwing room? Sounds like it's going to be a BIG circle of people!

I can't be the only one who finds rings of fire tedious and time wasting. Not a fan. Far prefer prizes being awarded as CTPs, Long drives, Longest putts etc. Division restricted and open to all for all types

Latest posts