• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Largest Tournament in Your State?

j_mardis

I live in Idaho and it is safe to say there will never (well most likely) be a National Tour or Major here. North Idaho does have a chance with Farragut State Park, forgive me.

What is the biggest tournament in your state? Of course there are the majors and NTs, but for the states that don't have a mecca (Stielacom or Seatac in WA for example), an A tier is the top of the heap.

Mike Stradley and Larry Laub have done a ton of work to add over $5k :thmbup: to the Twin Falls Classic this weekend and it is full at 180 players - the largest ever in the state. Seems to be a ton of cash for 22 open players and one 1000+ rated player (Christian Dietrich)...

What's the largest added cash in your state barring a Major or NT?

Jordan

Probably a tie between the Silver Cup (Manitowoc, WI) and the Mad City Open (Madison, WI). Both are A tiers, and very popular.

Brent Hambrick Memorial Open probably has the highest profile nationally. But I think the Hazy Shade BYOP doubles probably has the largest field.

Ledgestone in Illinois raised a ridiculous amount of cash for the nt in two weeks. Largest purse ever as far as I know. Pretty stoked to play and spectate in a few weeks!

Take a bow Nate!

Discraft Michigan State Championships. 576 this year, usually a few added to junior divisions if needed. Fantastic tournament team, runs like clockwork. Played in and around Ludington, played on some of the nations nicest and highest rated courses. Getting a berth can be a challenge though.

Outdone this year by PDGA Amateur World Championships 773 participants.

Discraft Michigan State Championships. 576 this year, usually a few added to junior divisions if needed. Fantastic tournament team, runs like clockwork. Played in and around Ludington, played on some of the nations nicest and highest rated courses. Getting a berth can be a challenge though.

Outdone this year by PDGA Amateur World Championships 773 participants.

What he said.

The Discraft Michigan State Championship will always remain a B Tier event too. It is by far one of the funnest, most put together disc golf tournaments in the country. This year another course, Whiskey Creek, may be added. The guys at Mason County Disc Golf Organization are just monsters when it comes to knowing what makes disc golf fun. bravo! :)

Man am I jealous. We have an A tier once a year here, not to take away from all the work the TDs do on smaller tournaments. Anyone from Wyoming, Montana, North/South Dakota here? What other states have limited tournaments available?

Hall Of Fame Classic, Pro NT / Am A-tier ... biennially at the IDGC

Gwinnett County Open (B-tier) is the largest annual tournament I'd say that is currently run. Two courses and ~144 players.

Augusta Classic can grow to be quite large some years.

There's always a handful of A-tiers in GA each year, but just because they're an A-tier doesn't mean they end up with the most players.

Historically the Atlanta Open A-tier/NT has been quite large, but it hasn't been run the last few years ... but maybe in the future??? ;)

Last edited:
I was an Orygun boy, moved to Washington, now am in the Phoenix, AZ area. We have the Memorial Championship down here, but have been a little bummed at the lack of many others.

Man am I jealous. We have an A tier once a year here, not to take away from all the work the TDs do on smaller tournaments. Anyone from Wyoming, Montana, North/South Dakota here? What other states have limited tournaments available?

Outside of the USDGC---which isn't open to just anybody, and particularly not to me---South Carolina doesn't have many high-level events. The Charleston Classic was an A-tier one year, but I think they've gone back to B-tier, and there seems little chance of more A-tiers, let alone NTs or Majors.

Luckily, just across our borders are Charlotte and Augusta, picking up the slack.

The Zoo Town Open has been an A/B tier event 3 of the last 5 years and has significant added cash, & lots of other extras, for both Pros and Ams.

The Rocky Mountain Championships, being held at the incredibly beautiful Bohart Ranch, is a new tourney and is Montana's second A/B tier this year. :)

DFW has a big disc golf scene, but the only A-tier I can think of is the Nick Hyde Memorial at Harry Myers / Audubon.

It seems we have quite a few B-tiers and a C-tier is played around here every week of the year.

I'm not a tournament player, so... I don't really care about it much.

This is just in DFW. There are plenty more around Tejas.

Live in VT. Green Mountain Championships at Smugglers notch. Loaded with Talent this year:thmbup: Seems like positive word of mouth for the tourney because last year there were no top women. Lots of them this year in addition to many of the top men(Wysocki, Doss, Ulibarri, Schusterick, Brinster, among others)

Outside of the USDGC---which isn't open to just anybody, and particularly not to me---South Carolina doesn't have many high-level events. The Charleston Classic was an A-tier one year, but I think they've gone back to B-tier, and there seems little chance of more A-tiers, let alone NTs or Majors.

Luckily, just across our borders are Charlotte and Augusta, picking up the slack.

Yeah, outside of the USDGC there's really the Charleston Classic, the Earlewood Classic, and the Upstate Classic. They aren't really that high-profile, but they are B tiers and usually fill/come close to filling, right?

Steady Ed Memorial Masters' Cup
2011 Worlds
<there have been tons, historically> La Mirada used to host a bunch of big tournaments.