• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lat 64 Fuse or ABC Flying Squirrel?

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
Looking for an understable mid, and I am trying to decide between these two. I know, I know, all of the LatLovers on here will scoff at me bringing up anything else, but I am looking for anyone who has thrown BOTH of these discs to give me some feedback. Trying for something I can use as a driving-type mid to work on some form stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Yep, that's what I've heard. Fuse is a little more stable weights being equal. Squirrel is, well, Squirrely! Just depends on what you are pairing it with or looking for.

Im partial to the fuse myself. With the glide on it and the straight flight it goes forever. Easy to turn over when I need it. Today I even got a good roller on it across a soccer field just messing around .

I'd tell you but I can't get anybody to trade me a (non red/blue) Squirrel yet. C'mon, somebody out there wants an Ion for a squirrel. *shakes the marketplace*

no, Axis is more stable.
A New axis may be more like a Core than a fuse...I am sure someone will argue I am wrong, but that is my experience.

I just wanted to mention that the 2nd run Flying Squirrel has a smoother surface for more glide. I haven't thrown the Fuse to be able to compare them for you though.

Axis I have is very similar to my Opto ?fuse in same weight. GL Fuse has some more turn. If you have an Axis buy a lighter GL Fuse.

I have thrown both Fuse and Flying Squirrel in 165g and 175g weights.

165g GL Fuse vs red 1st run flying squirrel. IMO - GL fuse was more consistent in holding the line I wanted. Squirrel was more prone to flipping.

175g Opto Fuse vs blue 1st run flying squirrel. This battle was won by the squirrel. It held the line better and IMO was able to glide for more distance. Opto Fuse wanted to fade back off the line.

I am currently carrying 165g GL fuse and 175g Flying squirrel. While they do overlap some, I always seem to need them both.

Again - if you have better / different form, you might come to different conclusions. All in all, both are good discs. Squirrel colors are little lacking.

I've thrown a couple Flying Squirrels, they all reminded me of Comets more than anything. Fuses, in GL plastic especially, are unlike any other disc I've thrown. I'd personally go with the Fuse simply for the mold.

The big reason I'd go with the Fuse is the plastic though. GL plastic is some of the best stuff ever, in my opinion. And while I'd like to support a start-up, midwestern based DG company, ABC's plastic feels Toys R Us. Just doesn't feel like disc golf plastic.

I have thrown both of these. I find the fuse had more HSS and LSS that the squirrell. And the fuse was 10 grams lighter. The squirrell is just money. It will hold an anny line beautifully, or flip up if thrown with hyzer. Even in 180+ wieghts. I have been using an early one and just upgraded to the new, grippier run. I have not thrown that one yet, so no reports.

I have thrown both of these. I find the fuse had more HSS and LSS that the squirrell. And the fuse was 10 grams lighter. The squirrell is just money. It will hold an anny line beautifully, or flip up if thrown with hyzer. Even in 180+ wieghts. I have been using an early one and just upgraded to the new, grippier run. I have not thrown that one yet, so no reports.

I read a couple reviews on Clearwater Disc Golf that the Squirrel is better for advanced players. Would you agree, or can someone playing under a year handle it?

My concern is that I am hearing the Fuse is a little too touchy. However, that Gold Line plastic is calling my name...

If you are worried it is too touchy for your form just buy an Opto. Or maybe a heavier GL. Although a lighter GL is nice for telling you when your form sucks.

Weight matters more for Fuses than plastic I think. Heavier the Fuse the more stable it is. I want to say that dome plays a little part too, I want to say that flat Fuses tend to be the more understable.

My 174 Opto is way more stable than my 178 GL. That is all I know. My 3 Opto's throw like the MVP Axis with glide. My GL's turn and tend to take off on a linen where my bad form throws them. If I am OAT heavy they keep going right. The Opto's try to fight back.

If you are worried it is too touchy for your form just buy an Opto. Or maybe a heavier GL. Although a lighter GL is nice for telling you when your form sucks.

I suppose the disc telling me my form sucks -- as opposed to doing it myself -- wouldn't be the end of the world.

Still on the fence about this purchase, though, and fighting the urge to say "eff it" and just buy both.

My 174 Opto is way more stable than my 178 GL. That is all I know. My 3 Opto's throw like the MVP Axis with glide. My GL's turn and tend to take off on a linen where my bad form throws them. If I am OAT heavy they keep going right. The Opto's try to fight back.
Can I have it? :rolleyes: Stable Optos are great when they're beaten like redheaded stepchildren. :D
I suppose the disc telling me my form sucks -- as opposed to doing it myself -- wouldn't be the end of the world.

Still on the fence about this purchase, though, and fighting the urge to say "eff it" and just buy both.
I'll tell you this. If you get a Fuse, either plastic, you'll have zero problem selling/trading it here on the marketplace. :|

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I actually decided to purchase a DGA Squall. I played with a guy who had nothing but good things to say about it, and I think it fits where my game is right now.

Latest posts