• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Late Squeeze vs. Consistent Grip

Mr_C-Train

I've heard/read in multiple places that the correct grip technique for maximizing distance is to be "loose" until the last possible second, then to squeeze hard just before the rip. I've seen it mentioned in several videos and articles but I wasn't able to find anything in depth on it.

I'm just wondering why/how this works and why it is any different than just keeping a strong grip from start to finish?

Also, if it is necessary, what is the optimal timing to initiate the tighter squeeze? Again from what I've seen so far, it is at some point after you've opened up the hips and elbow but obviously before release.

Fairly new so working on a lot right now, but trying not to build bad habits from the start. This in particular seems complicated due to the fractions of seconds you are dealing with after the explosive part of the throw.

Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated!

The reason it works better than gripping strong from beginning to end is that gripping down hard requires you to tense the muscles in your wrist/arm. You want your arm muscles especially in the lower arm to be as loose as possible, but have a strong grip. It's a delicate balance because the harder you grip, the slower your arm will be, but if you aren't gripping hard enough at release, that will you be the limiting factor on the amount of force you can put on the disc. So that's why, in general, good throwers will be looser at the beginning and grip down tighter at the end. But everyone is different with when and how this happens.

It's basically the idea (of every aspect of the throw, not just the grip) as UhhNegative alluded to, the concept of holding back on all that energy and then releasing it (exploding it) at the right time. That's why early on in developing form, it's good to slow down matrix style on your form and then concentrate on exploding it at the right time. One of the recent pros who simply excels at this overall concept is Emerson Keith.

I've actually been focusing on this recently and I think it has added distance and accuracy for me. Sorta goes along with my goal of not strong arming anything. I try to work from the ground up, and my arm/hand are just along for the ride until I get near the hit, then I engage both 100%

Thanks, these explanations actually help a lot to understand the "why." I definitely have a bad habit of strong-arming, and a lot of that probably starts with thinking about squeezing hard too early.

It's basically the idea (of every aspect of the throw, not just the grip) as UhhNegative alluded to, the concept of holding back on all that energy and then releasing it (exploding it) at the right time. That's why early on in developing form, it's good to slow down matrix style on your form and then concentrate on exploding it at the right time. One of the recent pros who simply excels at this overall concept is Emerson Keith.
Want your mind blown? Watch Paul Oman.

Grip is one of those things I probably don't put enough thought into. One thing I WILL say is that throttling down hard on the disc through the whole throw doesn't produce very good results. As mentioned, it makes your arm and wrist too tense and you end up losing arm speed and snap.

Grip can be tough. You want to grip the disc enough so that it doesn't slip, but you also don't want to throttle it. Living in CO, I often play and throw when the weather's cold and dry. Those are the worst days to grip a disc effectively.

Next time I go throw I'll try gripping the disc loosely at first, and then increasing the grip at release.