• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leaning with a tree

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Question. Playing primarily wooded courses, I also play a lot of holes with guarded baskets. A buddy of mine has a "strategy" to get around trees that I'm not sure would be allowed in a tournament or sanctioned event. Essentially, he stands on one foot behind his disc with one hand on a tree and hangs over his disc to get closer to the basket. More importantly, he uses it to reach around obstacles. Being 6'2, he has used this to turn what would be tricky putts into drop ins. I'm pretty sure this is against the rules but could someone explain why?

It's not against the rules if the tree trunk is behind the player's lie and it's diameter is big enough that it doesn't bend.

Wow that is really good to know. I thought it was illegal as well. This will come in handy thanks chuck.

Here it is in the now official Rules Q&A section:

QA16: Using an Object Behind the Lie for Support
Q: Can I hold onto a branch or other object behind my lie while putting?
A: Holding on to something behind your lie is not prohibited by the rules, provided that the object is in-bounds. It also must not be moved, since you are required to take the stance that results in the least movement of obstacles on the course. You are not allowed to hold onto another person for support, as that person is not part of the course.

Applicable rules: 803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off; 803.05 Obstacles and Relief

You can only hold onto something that's immovable behind your lie before throwing. So grabbing the branch in front of your lie isn't allowed even if it's so big it won't move.

I used this the other day. My approach shot was leaning against a tall fence that is perpendicular to the basket, 20 feet away. I could have marked on the other side of the fence, but it is 20 feet high. Placed my marker, which left a foot width between the mini and the fence. Got my foot down and had my left hand behind me holding a fence pole for balance. made the putt.

You can only hold onto something that's immovable behind your lie before throwing. So grabbing the branch in front of your lie isn't allowed even if it's so big it won't move.

What if the base of the tree is behind your lie, but the super thick branch that doesn't move is in front of it? Are the branch and tree two separate entities?

This is a neat one that I hadn't considered before. Pardon me for being lazy, but the stipulations about supporting points being on the ground don't apply? I never push these boundaries and haven't read the book in awhile. If I'm off about that, just ignore me. :)

The supporting point on the playing surface behind your mark on the Line of Play matters. Any other supporting points whether on the ground or vertical have to be behind the plane of your lie. It only makes sense since we allow just 30 cm behind your mark to take your stance and we've all seen more than a few players a little wider than 30cm who would have to be contacting the fence, wall or tree trunk behind their lie in order to take that legal stance.

Gracias, Chuck. I read through the book a little this morning and got a refresher & clarification of this. I think initially my thought about supporting points was influenced by off-the-tee info.

interesting.....define bending...lol.....the whiner in me will lament that the 150 pounders gain another advantage as they won't cause sapplings to bend....(I am joking...note to all my haters/sarcasm was the intent)

If my lie is right if front of a tree, can I touch the tree directly behind my lie, then position my feet anywhere I please so long as they're behind my lie?

Can I climb a pine tree to play from the top if I throw my disc inside it?

Nope, trees aren't a legal playing surface so you wouldn't be taking a legal stance with a supporting point on the playing surface behind your lie.

Wow. Seems like a terrible rule. With all the valid stance regulations, why would you let someone hang off a tree to make a shot? You threw it in the rough, get yourself out. That's what different shots are for. I don't really understand why this rule was discussed, let alone actually printed in the book...:thmbdown:

Nope, trees aren't a legal playing surface so you wouldn't be taking a legal stance with a supporting point on the playing surface behind your lie.
This is why the two meter rule should always be in effect trees are not a legal playing surface if you dont land on a playing surface you are OB. Two meter rule forever weak a$$ relief never.

Latest posts