• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ledgestone Insurance Championships SuperTour $10,000+ Added 9/14 & 9/15

its very essence, a Book of Rules is intended to level the playing field so that everyone is playing the same game and judged by the same standards. It also may have other essential guidelines that keep the game within certain boundaries (conduct, dress, courtesy, etc).
First, to call a drop into the basket a "Practice throw" is extreme and unnecessary. And it certainly does not meet the standard of the rule of Fairness 803..01 (F):
F. Rule of Fairness. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision shall be made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness.
803.01 Page 9

It sounds to me like the situation was handled fairly and according to the rules. A Warning was issued for a non-consequential violation that calls for a Warning.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the Common-sense solution was followed and i agree with, and applaud the Marshall on duty.
Really, Nikko should have kown better. He was warned and no further violations occurred. I simply don't understand why such a big deal is being made over this.

If I was on Facebook I would like this post!

So if he is pushed it through and it was deemed accidental and then he marked and dropped in, why was there a warning given in the first place?

You can't say he was warned for not marking the disc on the push through when you aren't calling the push through an attempt.

I'm very confused.

I wasn't certain what he "intended" to do. I just know that a Discatcher isn't designed to let a disc fall through the top. From my vantage point, Nikko wasn't really intending to push his disc through and not mark his lie. However, in this case, the marshal for the group felt it was better to warn him because we weren't certain of his intention. As stated above by DiscJunkie, I think this was handled very appropriately. The tournament was a smashing success and I think that should be the story.

I wasn't certain what he "intended" to do. I just know that a Discatcher isn't designed to let a disc fall through the top. From my vantage point, Nikko wasn't really intending to push his disc through and not mark his lie. However, in this case, the marshal for the group felt it was better to warn him because we weren't certain of his intention.

Anyone who's been playing for a while knows that you can drop in through the old Discatchers and until recent years, it was legal to hole out this way.

Did you watch the video? Its pretty clear (to me) he thought he was tapping out. But as I stated earlier and as discjunky posted, under 803.01 F it sounds like the right call was made.

Did you watch the video? Its pretty clear (to me) he thought he was tapping out. But as I stated earlier and as discjunky posted, under 803.01 F it sounds like the right call was made.

Yeah, I am aware of the old rule and I saw the video. Nikko told us he wasn't trying to tap out on 9's tee. It was discussed with the group on 13's tee and Jarrod got the rule book out and no one had a problem with the ruling. I definitely agree about 803.01 F and appreciate that being brought out.

I was standing right in the crowd there and Nikko was not sure exactly what to do.......And I would say about 3 or 4 people shouted out options of what he should do (All of them were different and actually a couple were ridiculous). I think it was handled properly although I'm not sure a "warning" was given for certain. Judging about how everybody in the foursome reacted, I don't think any of them were really concerned about it. Should Nikko have known to mark it first......yes......but he got what I would call a casual warning and moved on.

I apologize ahead of time if a warning was actually issued and marked on the card.

If I were Devan (or any of those guys for that matter) I wouldn't have called it (a practice throw). Would you really want to win that way?????

Great tournament guys.........glad to be apart of it!

A little off topic, but did anybody else notice that nikkos sponsors were only DD? Is he no longer apart of Innova?..........I didn't want to start another thread about this, but curious about what the deal is

It has already been mentioned in this thread and there is already another thread about this :) Short answer is no, he's no longer with Innova.

A little off topic, but did anybody else notice that nikkos sponsors were only DD? Is he no longer apart of Innova?..........I didn't want to start another thread about this, but curious about what the deal is

a thread exists, under general chat, nikko back with gateway is what I think the title is.

so yeah, he is running solo as far as a disc maker sponsor.

for those of you who played...how'd you like mcnaughton? it's my home course and was awesome to have the big guns out playing a course i play 3-4times a week!!

McNaughton bites if you let your guard down. I like it. My only deuces from the longs were 4, 7, and 12. Figures I'd deuce 7 and 12 but then miss holes like 5 and 2. :rolleyes:

Just a comment on the Nikko holing out situation...

If you can't hole out by going through the top or sides of the basket, even if his intent was to hole out by pushing his disc through the top, how can you give him a stroke penalty under the pretense that he holed out twice?

Wish I could have made it to this, but unfortunately didn't know about it early enough. Glad to hear things went well!

From what we were told Nikko is not back with Gateway yet...he couldn't stick with Innova because he needed his Wizards.

If you can't hole out by going through the top or sides of the basket, even if his intent was to hole out by pushing his disc through the top, how can you give him a stroke penalty under the pretense that he holed out twice?

Makes sense....I think the consensus ended up being that he didn't deserve a penalty stroke.