• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] left handed question

jrsmith_2010

im new to the game and love it lol but i am left handed and the disks seem to be going wide right 90% of the time, are there any discs out there that compensate for this?

There is, but i would suggest working on technique before trying to fix your problem with discs. What are you throwing currently and how far??

i have an innova dragon and a viking for drivers right now, im not sure on distance, my depth perception isnt that great..

Grab a cobra and learn to throw it dead straight up to 320, then look at some fairway drivers and learn to throw the same shot but further

im new to the game and love it lol but i am left handed and the disks seem to be going wide right 90% of the time, are there any discs out there that compensate for this?

Greetings fellow lefty! Welcome to DGCR and to the sport. Now whatever disc a left handed person throwing back-handed will generally go to the right, while right handed people will generally have their discs fade out to the left. Understand that is completely normal. As Danny said, technique is where its at. Work on getting your technique solid and refined and you will be golden. There are lots of resources and videos here about refining and working on technique. From technique you can get further into disc selection and choice. IMO the viking is a good start, it was one of my firsts and can be fun. There is a lot to learn in Disc Golf, but its really fun to get to learn basics to the advanced stuff as you notice your progression and keep at it. Another thing, working out also helps a lot so look into that. Good luck and keep having fun.

...it has been assumed that JRSmith throws backend. He may be throwing forehand with OAT and turning over the disc.

Grab a cobra and learn to throw it dead straight up to 320, then look at some fairway drivers and learn to throw the same shot but further

If someone had given me that advice when I started, I would have saved a lot of money on discs. I'd still be out there huckin my Cobra :)

Comets as well do wonders for form flaws, but really any neutral stability mid or putter will work. Another thing would be to work on backhand drives using you 'off' hand as well. It minimizes over use of your 'strong' arm and allows for focused contemplation on what exactly needs to happen for a drive to be executed with proper form. Another added benefit of practicing with both hands is that a kind of competition forms between the two hands vying for favoritism which accelerates progress, plus when all is said and done you've added another option for any problem that might arise on the course.

Playing LHBH on most courses will require a nice Anny skillset from short and tight to long & late breaking.
My recommendations, take it for what its worth (I throw 250-300 on a good day)
Left to no Fade: Diamond Light Driver, Stratus Mid Driver, Tangent Mid, APX & Polecat Putter.
Light to no fade: River Driver, D-Buzzz & Impact Mid, Pure & Anode Putter.

My bag:
Diamonds
Leopards/Rivers
Zombee
Buzzz's
Stratus/Tangent (fighting for the spot)
Pure/Anode (fighting for the spot)
bangerGT/Wizzard (fighting for the spot)

You could always consider switching your bag over to left handed discs. Sounds like you're throwing right handed discs. Get a couple lefties and they'll start going right for you.

If the nose angle of the disc is up, you will end up finishing right with almost any disc. The first "trick" of keeping a disc from hyzering out is to change your wrist/hand position to more of a handshake type position.

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!