• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty Holes Question?

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I know that usually there are several routes to a basket and you need different skill sets such as anhyzer and understable discs etc. but in all reality there are some holes that seem to favor lefties vs righties and vice versa. My question is this..If 10% of all people are lefties than only 2 holes on a course should be lefty holes. My logic is that if half of the holes are lefty than we are favoring lefties because it seems to me that they then have an advantage over 90% of the people playing that course. Just a thought I have noticed when observing how so many lefties seem to dominate this game. Basically any design beyond 2 lefty holes on an 18 hole course seems to favor lefties. I am only talking about severe lefty holes here. The type that are low and tight right doglegs where a righty is taking two shots and a lefty is hyzering through the turn fairways.

I understand your point, but having more than 10-20% lefty holes (finishing hard right) rewards those who have developed multiple throws such as forehand shots, various thumber shots and certain rollers (all of which finish towards right). And it punishes those who have not done so.

Agreed Dave24242 but a lefty would really tend to have a NATURAL advantage on any course with over 20% lefty holes. I was referring to those really lefty favoring holes...you know the ones that are true lefty holes? Perhaps too rooty for a roller, too low ceing to anhyzer, too long to throw off handed, and too tight to throw a reckless forehand.....not sure I make sense!

So a lefty with an advantage on (for example) 30% of the holes has a "NATURAL" advantage over the righty with an advantage on the other (same example) 70%? Seems like the lefty is still behind.

learn to throw a forehand or lefty :p I actually was practicing the other day in a field and I hurt my right elbow...and didn't want to stop throwing so I threw lefting..I had HORRIBEL nose issues but I found that I could still throw my disc a good 200' lefty haha...its not as good as my right but I could easily get more practice at it and be able to use both hands in a tourny! and dave24242 your avatar just creeps me out..like really..nightmare creepy...

I'm a righty who throws LHBH, but can also throw RHBH & RHFH decently. I have played with lots of rounds with 970-1000 rated players and every time I get to a hole I think is "you know the ones that are true lefty holes" that I think I can pick up a stroke (I play around 950-ish), I find that I do not have much of an advantage. When playing with < 950 players, I usually do have an advantage on those holes.

BTW, a RHFH is not exactly the same flight pattern as a LHBH from what I have observed. RHFH's seem to break harder to the right than LHBH's. My theory (and I could be wrong) is that one puts less spin on FH throws and that is what causes this.

Met a kid who threw right handed backhand but was a lefty batter in baseball so his backhand was very fast and he just crushed the disc for his size. Seems in disc golf the problem is not the large muscle groups but more the finer hand motions on the release of the disc. I bat baseball righhanded so its the same basic motion as a lefty backhand but I throw the disc with haphazzard fine control when throwing lefty....

I am having a hard time explaining my point about lefty holes. I am no stats expert but I know my logic makes sense somehow.At least in my head!

It seems to me that a LHBH player has a disadvantage on any course that has more RHBH-natural holes than LHBH-natural holes.

Speaking of baseball, have you ever seen a lefthanded second baseman? ;)

I can kinda see what you're getting at though the logic doesn't really make a huge amount of sense. Just because you're right handed doesn't mean you're throwing righty backhand. In fact, a lot of the kids I know that play throw righty forehand and one guy throws lefty forehand. I've played a lot of courses that have dogleg left holes and dogleg right holes, and I've realized the best idea is just to learn both backhand and forehand.

Agreed Dave24242 but a lefty would really tend to have a NATURAL advantage on any course with over 20% lefty holes. I was referring to those really lefty favoring holes...you know the ones that are true lefty holes? Perhaps too rooty for a roller, too low ceing to anhyzer, too long to throw off handed, and too tight to throw a reckless forehand.....not sure I make sense!

I disagree. I am a lefty, and I personally find finishes hard left (righty holes) easier than hard left, since my forehand is more accurate than my backhand. Thus, you assume

OK OK I made some assumptions but I assume some people got my point? I did some further research and according to Neurologists left handed people have a statistical advantage if activities relating to creativity and spatial awareness. Disc Golf=creativity and spatial awareness. Right handers do better at linear thought processes. So we are better at keeping score while the lefties win championships! Damn You left handers its just not fair!

I just play disc golf and don't give a damn about who is throwing left or right handed.

it seems to me that lefties would win 20% of the holes while 80% were won by the righties. That is just my thought. I am learning the RHFH and that is quite the enjoyable experience cause other ppl tend to chuckle at the funky looking toss.

it seems to me that lefties would win 20% of the holes while 80% were won by the righties. That is just my thought. I am learning the RHFH and that is quite the enjoyable experience cause other ppl tend to chuckle at the funky looking toss.

Right so if the course were split 50/50 than half the holes would be won by lefties which would not reflect the general population. That was my point. That any course with more than 20% lefty holes somehow gives an unfair advantage to lefties....but I could not accurately explain my thought well. Basically an inordinate amount of lefties would score better if more than 2 holes were lefty. Just a thought I had and wondered if anyone else ever thought about it?

the lefties still wouldn't win. Say you had 18 guys playing a round, and 2 of them were lefties. the holes are like 6 left, 6 straight, and 6 right. everyone would score the same at 12 under (lefty and righty alike), assuming that they all can throw straight, and they hit their shots on 6 holes favoring them, whether it be left or right. But if we do what you are saying, then we have 10 holes going left, 6 straight, and 2 going right. Then the lefties would score 8 under, while the righties would all get 16 under. It doesn't make it "unfair" to have the same amount of lefty favoring holes as righty-favoring holes.

I think I get what you're saying. The amount of holes favoring left handed people compared to holes favoring right handed people should reflect the amount of left handed people compared to the amount of right handed people. This is somewhat of a good argument when thinking about people enjoying the course and getting good scores, but it does two things very poorly. It favors righties a lot. A whole lot. And, it doesn't force people to get any better. When you throw shots that are easy all the time, you never get better. It's like life. What's harder is generally better for ya.

Latest posts