• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

less flexy bracing?

chosenmatrix

Par Member
I have been working on improving form, after playing for like 8 years without ever trying to work on the basics. I have been working hard to reduce rounding, but now I am questioning my bracing.

Should the knee be locked during the brace at the hit point, or should there be some flex?

Any critique/advice welcome.

Full speed and slo-mo links below.

https://youtu.be/9URsHU32bck

https://youtu.be/GTkhUnJv9jM

Flex is good but it would help if you got more weight into the brace, which may require some strengthening (and some slowing down).
Recommend pushing off your rear toe instead of heel to get a more efficient transfer.

Brace should feel like a one-legged deadlift keeping tension between the ground and the disc. From the feet to the hamstrings to the right glute to the lat, then tricep then forearm then disc. One big posterior chain through the arm.

Brace really shouldn't lock out, it should be flexed stiff like you're swinging to kick a ball but shouldn't ever lock out for longevity's sake. Try tossing a hammer, swinging it instead of trying to throw it. That should give you a pretty good feel for both not rounding and the brace.

yes, I can kinda feel that. I think pushing off my heel is forcing my stride to be too long. If I shorten my stride and push off my toe (back foot), it feels more like a solid throw, instead of just using forward momentum and all arm. This is just slow motion in the office, I'll try to work on it in the field today.

Just quoted to get your attention. If you don't mind, whose form in 2021 do you like as the best overall visual reference to study? Thx.

Not sw22 but here's my opinion nonetheless

All pros have different stylistic/personalization to their form to fit their body styles and, something that I think is often overlooked, their different insertion points (google is your friend here)
What that means is what works best for a certain pro, doesn't necessarily work best for another pro.

I think mcbeth has incredible form, with the caveat that his knee is a little too bent for comfort's sake and his pivot is sometimes the middle of the foot/toe instead of the heel.

GG has figured out how to send a disc with as much force as his body can muster, so for all out distance and similar body type his would be ideal.

Drew Gibson has great form, but his knee can sometimes lockout on big distance drives. Pretty much my only concern when watching his

What I look for is smoothness and ease on the body when looking at people's form. If it's a smooth swing without excessive movements, and progressively accelerates the disc with the right muscle groups I'd say it's good form - and the three listed above certainly do that.

Pretty sure SW22 has always encouraged people to copy someone with a similar build. If your long and lanky copy eagle. If your short/stocky go with gg or even brinster. For me - I'm just trying to copy SW's form lol. He throws backhand and forehand, with accuracy, over 450. And I'm 5 foot 8 with a similar dad bod going on so I've got the body type thing dialed in

Pretty sure SW22 has always encouraged people to copy someone with a similar build. If your long and lanky copy eagle. If your short/stocky go with gg or even brinster. For me - I'm just trying to copy SW's form lol. He throws backhand and forehand, with accuracy, over 450. And I'm 5 foot 8 with a similar dad bod going on so I've got the body type thing dialed in

*Brewery Bod

Haha

Just quoted to get your attention. If you don't mind, whose form in 2021 do you like as the best overall visual reference to study? Thx.
I like to watch most of them and still love the classics. Of the newer up and comers I've been impressed with Gavin Rathbun.

Latest posts