• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Less Snow in MN

DJ Sticky Feet

Birdie Member
Tomorrow, I was thinking about hitting up BRP, but i realized I've hardly played the other courses near me. Which of the courses in the twin cities usually have a lot of foot traffic, or just low snow depths in general? I have ribbons taped to the discs (thanks aim for the chains), but all the trudging around gets old. The less snow the better.

I've played Acorn a couple times with no hassles. Lots of foot traffic. Ribbons and you're good.

I noticed Plymouth Creek yesterday was really well maintained. I stopped out to see and they had teepads shoveled AND a walking path to the greens and to the next tee. Really a lot of work but totally made the round easier.

BRP was definitely great condition last week. I was impressed by the amount of people playing winter disc golf there. Good to see they get business year round.

And yes tomorrow will be far too cold for a round if you ask me. -20 is about 30 degrees colder than my cut-off.

acorn and kaposia for sure.

i actually like playing at places like oakwood; when i went out there, i saw one other set of footprints. it was like nobody else had played there the entire winter. easy to find your disc. :)

I've played Acorn a couple times with no hassles. Lots of foot traffic. Ribbons and you're good.

I noticed Plymouth Creek yesterday was really well maintained. I stopped out to see and they had teepads shoveled AND a walking path to the greens and to the next tee. Really a lot of work but totally made the round easier.

BRP was definitely great condition last week. I was impressed by the amount of people playing winter disc golf there. Good to see they get business year round.

And yes tomorrow will be far too cold for a round if you ask me. -20 is about 30 degrees colder than my cut-off.

Westside Wednesday take really good care of Central and Plymouth. I do not know the individuals, but there are a few who take care of Eagle's. These are smaller courses, but they are fun and you are less likely going to lose discs here.

BRP is normally well-maintained, but Ray must be getting up there in age and or finding other hobbies. He has been out of town a lot recently and while normally he is out there shoveling while it is snowing, matting down the fairways, apparently he has been a little lax this year. I know that he is not putting any work in at the course this Sunday because of the temperature.

I just played Clearwater League today and that course is incredibly well-maintained. The colder weather created a crusty layer of snow on top, so there is a better chance of discs staying on top.

Anyone have any idea if the Intellicast Radar is fairly accurate? Looking like there's areas without snow in Albert Lea and Makato. Any courses fairly clear without a need for ribbons? Would love to cruise down after work this week or over the weekend (unless we actually get another 6 inches like predicted tonight).

I'm picking the closest place on the Intellicast with no snow cover this weekend and driving to play for at least a day. The cold doesn't bother me - I just can't hang with the knee (or waist) deep snow anymore!

just wondering which areas are supposed to get 6 inches of snow. i've been checking weather stations and radar fairly often since i plow and i'm seeing 1-"3 around these parts.

as far as the snow goes, kaposia and acorn were great. you stay on top for the most part but soon it's gonna get soggy again. :(

I'm picking the closest place on the Intellicast with no snow cover this weekend and driving to play for at least a day. The cold doesn't bother me - I just can't hang with the knee (or waist) deep snow anymore!

i live in kato. a great amount of the snow was gone, however right now its starting to pour snow. heres what it currently looks like which is right outside my apt. its the briargate dg course

g5nqYYW.jpg

by the way mankato dg course sucks a-hole. its like playing out in a field. briargate is a joke its just random baskets around the apartment buildings and no teepads or markings of teepads so if you arent with someone whose played it you wont know where to start from. st peters course has potential but is poorly maintained. it is however way more challenging and i like it better than mankato, but in the winter its unplayable. there is no teepads and the snow is really deep there.

albert lea has two awesome 18 holers. go out there.

and maiden shade is always a treat but idk about in the winter

Looking very similar here right about now!

Looking at the conditions of the courses in Des Moines area and they are all pretty muddy. I played Kaposia a week or so ago and it was pretty good - though I still needed ribbons since my eyes are so bad sometimes. Maybe I'll try Acorn or BRP this weekend instead of driving south to play in mud. But I thought if I could cruise straight down 35 for an hour or two and play without much/any snow I'd consider that more than worthwhile!

Looking at the conditions of the courses in Des Moines area and they are all pretty muddy. I played Kaposia a week or so ago and it was pretty good - though I still needed ribbons since my eyes are so bad sometimes. Maybe I'll try Acorn or BRP this weekend instead of driving south to play in mud. But I thought if I could cruise straight down 35 for an hour or two and play without much/any snow I'd consider that more than worthwhile!

I am still sitting on the fence but I am currently leaning towards playing Acorn Sunday around 2ish.

i can tell you that quite a few holes at lando are unplayable due to the snow melting and its flat but slightly wavey terrain, the water creates some nice ponds. and some spots you cant even see it and then your past your ankles deep. not worth it.

Looks like everything down to Des Moines got another batch of snow. Acorn on Sunday is definitely my best option. Unless I take Friday off and cruise to Kansas City for the weekend. Probably pretty muddy down there still too!

hmmmm.

acorn at 2ish, you say . . .

sunday, you say . . .

I am thinking about it. Not guaranteeing a thing, but I definitely want to get out and play something different than Eagles (which for better or worse is my winter course because it is only 8 minutes away).

i play every sunday with a group of people who call themselves "the mediocres" - i'm not sure what they're doing, either. i wouldn't mind throwing acorn again. i make it a habit to get out every single possible day as it is.

speaking of less snow, where exactly is the closest location without it?

i play every sunday with a group of people who call themselves "the mediocres" - i'm not sure what they're doing, either. i wouldn't mind throwing acorn again. i make it a habit to get out every single possible day as it is.

speaking of less snow, where exactly is the closest location without it?

well after last night it kind of dumped on the southern areas I was eyeing before along the IA boarder. If you go into IA there is little to no snow in areas but I think we need another few days above freezing to clean up the crap that came. SW though is always first to "thaw" lol.

I believe tomorrow is going to be sunny and warmer so should do some work'

Now seems like a decent time to mention that I got stir crazy after that last huge batch of snow we got. Took me a while to get down there but the ride back was only about 3 hours.

Some people thought it might have been a little unnecessary. I found it to be 8 hours (round trip) well worth it. 2 rounds @ Pickard Park just south of Des Moines a few weeks back. All but a couple holes were playable.

I might do something similar in the next week couple weeks.

2i0gllh.jpg

Latest posts