• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lessons from World Cup

Soccer is followed closely by billions of people world wide, and known by billions more. 100,000 people have heard of disc golf.

Considering the public's fascination with reality shows and their scripted, fake crisises and drama, you'd think 'Murica would glom onto soccer, what with its flopping, finger-pointing, jingoistic national fervor, hooliganism, and the occasional stadium riot.

I seem to be one of the exceptions---I like soccer, but you can't get me to watch any reality show at all.

wise-quotes-28.jpg

;)

I don't really care anymore if Disc Golf is on TV. I have enough Youtube coverage to keep me satisfied. Though TV would bring better coverage with more cameras, so yeah it would be cool to see more play but no biggie.

^^This^^

The future of "TV" coverage is going to be on demand streaming. Improved online coverage is what should be strived for.

I think Americans are discovering soccer is another good excuse for "tribal" gatherings because the game doesn't distract from all of the chanting and partying.

I think you're onto something there.

I never realized how much those players fake injury. They fall down constantly if anyone comes even close to them. Then they look for the foul call. Worse than NBA games.

I never realized how much those players fake injury. They fall down constantly if anyone comes even close to them. Then they look for the foul call. Worse than NBA games.
Most of it is strategy. Gives players a chance to rest and adds to bonus time.

Maybe if more of our top world class players tried this, it would grow the sport. Just look how big Fooootbol is.

True fact: In 2012 average attendance at MLS games was higher than both the NBA and NHL.

As for the flopping... yea, many soccer players are drama queens, but when your sport doesn't stop the clock every 4 seconds and lets you rest depending on whether or not your team has the ball, than yea, you'll be looking for any reason to stop and catch your breath as well. Also, it helps draw fouls.

I would rather play than watch on tv. and soccer would be much better if you could use your hands, and tackle eachother.

You mean like rugby? Now that is a real sport right there.

There is a world outside of the US.

Just saying.

Billions of people watch soccer worldwide.

And I was hoping this thread would be about how I could improve my disc golf game by not being so stinking defensive for hundreds of minutes on end, blow golden opportunities, and call it good effort after loosing. When it comes to Disc Golf I want my game to be more like whatever team wins the stinking World Cup. Now if only I could get all my body parts to play together as a team.

So is this the thread where we get to gospelize our opinions which sports are legit and which aren't?

Well if so, soccer does indeed suck, but so do all our established American sports, especially the ones where the teams have $50+ million payrolls, but need taxpayer funded assistance to build a new luxury box enhanced playpen every 25 years.

Latest posts