• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lessons (hiring a pro)

hangwind

Eagle Member
2 years at this, ever Sunday +.

I promised myself to learn on my own, put in the time and now take lessons or coaching. I'm signed up and counting off days.

Personally I think the money will be well spent.

I have ideas how to approach this (open mind, no attitude) but there is a talent pool here that I respect. Looking for comments and questions, to ask or what I should expect.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

p.s. I hope this question has been asked before and I am replicating it word for word as I did not research it first.

Where I am from, you can hire a PDGA pro to teach or assist you with your form. They will do field work with you first then hit the course with you. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to have a pro that knows some of my old friends in the sport.

I am a bit nervous about being critiqued but the again, I want to improve and take out any bad habits that I may have and build upon the good ones that I do have.

I am still learning BH and do not yet have the repetitive motion or muscle memory for it yet. This is actually the reason or the timing in hiring the pro to assist me in my form. I want help in being able to teach myself. The rates are reasonable, the guy seems like an ol friend since he knows some of my homeboys and I am really looking forward to passing on the knowledge to my group, they would NEVER take lessons, disc golf is about fun to them.

It is so much fun for me too.

Have any of you hired a pro to help with your game?

Did it help you?

Thanks.

I would never hire any one for anything that has to do with disc golf. How do you expect to get your money's worth out of these lessons? Disc golf doesn't pay back anything except to a few top pros.

p.s. Big thumbs up on your p.s. :thmbup: :p

The payback is an increase in performance.

I have gotten so much better listening to some of you guys here. Almost to a level of scratch but I want to excel at BH and I know with some help, I will.

The rates are reasonable, the guy at my elbow is a seasoned pro and I will be proud to have his name in my resume.

I am glad you rang in with that, I thought that might be some of the responses and I appreciate the candor.

I think its a good thing!! If your serious about getting better quicker, this may be your answer. A lot of people quit playing when they realize they can't throw far or throw accurately. Once you figure out that step of Disc Golf, the game becomes a LOT more fun. Hitting long putts, Parking drives, hitting metal on the basket, or even the ever lucky ace. Those are the things that keep you coming back and trying to improve yourself. Not only is DG a lot of fun but it teaches you important life lessons if your aware enough to pick them up. Lessons are a good thing!! If you got the money...;)

If you want to get better and you feel this is the way how, good for you. It would be cool to be out on the course with a pro, whether you are paying him/her or not. I wish you well with your lessons and with DG.

Yeah that's cool. No doubt about it that the best way to improve is to get one on one instruction. Looking at it from the other side, it seems one of the best (and few) ways for people to actually make some money from the sport. I don't think u'd necessarily have to be a touring pro to give lessons. Think of tennis and golf pros. Forgive my ignorance, but does the PDGA do much to support people finding pros to give them lessons? If they don't this seems a good aspect of the sport to focus on going into the future.

It's great to do lessons, but there are a few things to think about. First of all, I'd look for recommendations. Some people might be great golfers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they make great teachers. I ran into someone whose personal technique ran totally against what almost everyone else said. It worked for him, but it took awhile to realize that it doesn't work for the majority of people. That actually set me behind significantly. Then, there's the question of the instructor's analytic skills. I was at one clinic where I saw a pro give virtually the same advice to six different people, to pull closer to the chest. That's probably good advice for anyone, but I'd hoped to see a little more individualized analysis. Note that these are extreme cases, but it's something to look out for.

I agree a good instructor should adjust to the students style of throwing and attempt to improve on the individual techniques. Not try and make everyone throw the way they throw.

Being from Minnesota and having maybe the single best instructor here as well as many good instructional pros it amazes me how few people utilize the resoure. Buying a lesson was one of the best things I did.

Usually pros are willing to help out free of charge. They are trying to help out beginners/intermediate players get better. It doesn't hurt to ask before you pay.

Lessons can be very effective especially if you can find that right person to help you visualize what you need to do. The entire package is crucial (Discs, grip, footwork, reach back, practice routine, etc.... Over the last 3 years i've given lessons to 30+ players. I've had a lot of positive feedback. I've offered 20 minute, 30 minute, and a round of golf. Every person has picked the round of disc golf. This could be the best money you spend. I spent some time at UW Parkside in Kenosha, WI when Barry Schultz and crew came to town for an event. The 5 minute one on one I had with Barry improved my game tremendously. Within a week I had added 50 feet to my drives and my accuracy improved. The key and I make this very clear is that there are no easy fixes or short cuts. You have to go to the course and throw hundreds and hundreds of shots each day.

Agree about good on the course but not a good teacher. Completely agree. I'm taking a block of two hours. At that point, I'll know if this is going to work. I'm hoping for homework and that will let me know if I want to return.

Already the subtle instruction that was offered has helped.

I'm really early in my learning to backhand drive. Already I am sending my farthest drives, backhand I am long and accurate. Putting I'm good. It's the backhand lessons and the overall tune I'm seeking.

If things go well with the initial lesson, for a C-note, I'll get a few hours instruction, support the shop/pro and I will get better, no doubt because I play the game regularly, like religion. I have developed a history of regular play.

Now I am looking for things I may be overlooking in my lesson. Thing to look for, things to ask. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and use common sense however I do know I forget or overlook thing at times.

Thanks for the responses, I expected some negative rip and tear from the one ups, maybe that's on the way...

I threw a really long pretty s curve Archon fight, it was my longest throw ever in play an exactly in line but past where I wanted to be, feels good.

Last edited:
There is a 990 rated player at my local course that offers 30 minute lessons for $20 a pop.

Personally I think it is a rip off with all the resources available online not to mention most better players will give you tips for free.

But I guess if you aren't a cheapskate (like myself) and want to get better in a hurry it's probably not a bad idea.

I got a lesson from mr. #19325 here... Definitely helped me out big time. I was a little surprised with the simplicity of the advice, and for lack of a better word, the small amount of advice, but it really rang true.

That is, there wasn't much advice given but it was extremely helpful. I guess I was surprised at how much I was doing right, and how a throw is really pretty simple. I won't spill any secrets, but I felt the explanations I received were much simpler and more straightforward than anything I've seen online.

As he said, the real secret is practicing, building repetitions and really identifying what works. I have been lazy, and have not put in enough time to really take the next step. But, recently I've re-applied the advice I've learned with awesome results. So glad I took the lesson, definitely worth the time and money. (though a c-note seems a bit steep).

C-note for a few hours?

Cheap, happy to pay, honorable.

I am averaging a few over par (54) now, been playing every weekend + for 2 plus years. Just learning to drive backhand and am really good and decent distance forehand (325' on a good throw) and have sent some backhand drives that far and farther already. I am establishing muscle memory with my backhand now and it's the perfect time for me to get a tune up by a pro that I respect. I will pay for a first lesson for two hours, then I will go from there.

I think the education is worth six new discs.

I believe in the game and supporting it's players.

I will enjoy investing in my knowledge of disc golf biomechanics. It includes video and the guy owns a disc golf shop as well.

I'm saving for a Boxster S, I'll be taking lessons on how to drive it from the Porsche club. You want to do something well, practice your a ss off and surround yourself with people better than you. Listen, research, practice, do it again, and again.

This is a great resource but it is static, looking to augment the experience with a pro at my elbow.

Stoked.

I want to thank the pro that detailed his program, open, helpful.

Nice.

I applaud your efforts and wish you the best. I haven't ever payed for a lesson from a pro, but in my experience as a (ball) golfer, I have met people that say paying for instruction was the best thing they ever did for their golf game. They may still never break par, or 80, or 90, but they learned a lot and are playing much better than they did before. It doesn't matter how much it cost, the confidence and knowledge gained is more than worth it, and you will get better at the game you love.

Here's the only question you need to be asking yourself - is the $ you spend worth it to YOU to spend it?

All these people giving dissenting opinions are giving them because they are rationalizing it for themselves - i.e. would they spend the money on it? Others rationalizations should have no bearing on what you do.

Let's extrapolate this to the disc golf course - the first lesson anybody should ever tell you about competitive play in golf is "play the course, not your opponent". So, don't worry about if other people think you should pay a pro or not. If you believe in what you're being taught and can justify to yourself the expenditure, then it's a no brainer.

If the instructor has a great reputation then go for it! Does his instruction include any video taping?