• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's Increase PDGA Membership Fees...

Multiple kinds of stance violations occur, be it missing the mark on a field shot or something related to jump/step putting

Time violations are never called

Players hardly ever watch each other in order to observe infractions

Many players are just plain wrong about some of the rules. Whether they were told an incorrect rule and never looked it up to confirm for themselves or they simply picked it up on their own, I'll never know.

You realize that ams are probably a lot worse at this right. There isnt am coverage for us to see all the violations and dissect them on the internet.

Like many others, I don't play in enough tournaments to make it worthwhile, but I think that the $50 goes towards helping the sport, so that seems worthwhile. Giving more for no tangible reason isn't appealing though. Raising the money, then deciding what to do, does seem backwards.

However, I might be ok with an optional $10 increase, if the PDGA outlined why they need the money. For example, if they said that for an extra $10 I could get this year's annual PDGA disc, I would likely do it. I have my current one hanging up now, and it makes for a nice conversation piece.

However, I might be ok with an optional $10 increase, if the PDGA outlined why they need the money. For example, if they said that for an extra $10 I could get this year's annual PDGA disc, I would likely do it. I have my current one hanging up now, and it makes for a nice conversation piece.

FYI, they do make the membership disc (and mini) available to renewing members at an extra cost ($20).

FYI, they do make the membership disc (and mini) available to renewing members at an extra cost ($20).

$20 for a disc and a mini? That's outrag... wait, no - that's fair. I hadn't seen that.

Ok, then I'm back to leaving the fees the way that they are. :)

(Seriously - thanks for mentioning... I haven't had to go through a renewal yet.)

$20 for a disc and a mini? That's outrag... wait, no - that's fair. I hadn't seen that.

Ok, then I'm back to leaving the fees the way that they are. :)

(Seriously - thanks for mentioning... I haven't had to go through a renewal yet.)

It's not that well advertised, but it is the last thing they offer before check out on the online renewal.

This all may be true, but what exactly should the PDGA be doing about it? Beyond maybe making more of an effort on the education side, I'm not sure how much they can do.

And please don't say using referees or rules officials on the course. As nice as that would be, I think it's well down the list of things that that sort of money, if it existed in the PDGA budget, should be spent on.

I don't know exactly what they should be doing. Maybe if I had more time, money, and incentive I could think up something. But I DO know I don't feel like paying the PDGA money when I hold myself to a higher standard than the pros do.

You realize that ams are probably a lot worse at this right. There isnt am coverage for us to see all the violations and dissect them on the internet.

Yes I realize this, thanks :)

>Forces TD's to collect a $10 surcharge<
>Allows surcharge to be waived<

Aren't you happy with your $10 discount?!?

I mean...if I was playing 5+ events this year...I might get 2...so the discount is kind of meh. Maybe next year I'll actually make it worth it :|

If the PDGA were needing to increase expenditures, wouldn't it be primarily to promote the pro side of the game? (Payouts, promotion, media coverage, venues, etc.) I say if the PDGA needs more money, it should come from the pro memberships.

I might re-up my membership if they didn't make me purchase the $75 pro level membership. Back when I joined up there was no option. I'm an advance player at best and will never compete with pros of any age so why should I pay for that level of membership?
Increasing that fee won't change my mind.

I might re-up my membership if they didn't make me purchase the $75 pro level membership. Back when I joined up there was no option. I'm an advance player at best and will never compete with pros of any age so why should I pay for that level of membership?
Increasing that fee won't change my mind.

You're aware you can petition to have your am status re-instated (or instated if you were never an am). Basically, if your rating fits an amateur division (below 970 if you're under 40, below 935 if you're under 50, etc) and it's been at least a year since you've taken pro cash, it's pretty much a rubber stamp process.

I wish more "old" pros would take advantage of this.

A lot of people who disc do so partially because the sport really doesn't place a large financial burden on their families/life, etcetera that some other pastimes do. Time burdens are one thing, financial burdens for pastime are quite another. When the belt has to tighten, they're the first to go.
I do not maintain a PDGA membership for myself, but I do for my daughter so that she can enjoy the multiple tournaments she plays every year. We are new to the sport. I love discing too, but need to accompany my 12 year old during her tourney playtime, so I "play" tourneys but never throw a disc.
From my perspective, the PDGA is spending their marketing dollars incorrectly. If you guys want to raise prices to me, fine. I'll only pay them if I can see what's in it for my daughter or I. If you have any spend at all on your magazine or its distribution, STOP IT. All it's doing is building the individual reputations of your aging professional members. I've tried to read it and get something from it other than a syrupy schmoo feeling that pressing popular members somehow will encourage me to belong and keep the fee coming. There's not enough meat and potato there for me. The manufacturing companies who support the players have much more to gain from it's publishing. Charge them more, make it a wash to your books and move on. It's not increasing your membership.
There was another poster here who suggested increasing the membership was the right way to increase revenues. Have you considered DECREASING membership PRICES and INCREASING OPTIONS to pay (installments, etc.)? You have enough data to crunch the economics of how many more members would sign new payment deals if the price dropped 1%-2%-3%-etc. There generally is a point where the increase in members payments will increase revenues after the cut in rate.
If I were running the show at PDGA, there are 3 things that would be on my growth plan. 1- what do members receive for their fee and how can the return touch each member's personal lives more often than it does? More contacts= more perceived value. More perceived value= more word of mouth positivity and ultimately new members. 2- what is the average income of the current membership base? At what point does an increase in fee drive out the largest number of members? At what point does a decrease in fees increase membership substantially? GeoFred can help with this, but understanding who you're selling is extremely important. Disc golf is not a big money sport to get into or play on the regular. 3- What are the impacts by category contribution of current media efforts? How does the PDGA reach the eyes and ears of new prospective members? What's the hook? Why do I REALLY want to give you 4 discs from my discin budget every year? What's in it for me?
I would LOVE to see the PDGA represented at more courses. To be honest, it kind of upset me when I found out that she had to be a member to play tourneys. I had no idea, because I didn't know the entity existed. Add $50 to the tab at your next meal out to support the national beef advisory board and you understand MY first touch point with the PDGA. Change THAT.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What is the financial value of the existence of a tournament structure in which you can compete?

Year after year the PDGA talks about supporting/trying to increase the female side of the sport, yada..yada...yada... clinics, photos, yada...yada...yada. Seriously, just drop the female membership down to half or more what the guys pay. You can raise the price later when the demographics come a bit closer to being equal.

Membership a la carte won't work. One person doesn't want the magazine. The next doesn't want to support the NT. Or having ratings for Ams. Or a fixed headquarters. Or......well, eventually if people only pay fees to go to things they want, nothing gets done.

Have you considered DECREASING membership PRICES and INCREASING OPTIONS to pay (installments, etc.)? You have enough data to crunch the economics of how many more members would sign new payment deals if the price dropped 1%-2%-3%-etc. There generally is a point where the increase in members payments will increase revenues after the cut in rate.

Offset by the number of people who don't keep their membership for entire year. And the extra workload of handling installments, including late payments, membership cancellations, reinstatements, etc. And TDs having to deal with the latter all year, for members who didn't pay their last installment. And the question of whether a new member gets a disc with the first installment, or the last (more bookkeeping). And the cash flow of delayed income. And perhaps more, that hasn't occurred to me yet.

Need to pay it in installments? Put it on a credit card, and pay however you wish. Or just save up in installments so you can pay it all at once.

Latest posts