• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's say you couldn't stress your knee

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *
Had an interesting email:

I've only been playing about 3 years and your articles have helped immensely. One thing I'd like to see; or at least hear your thoughts on....are about us "older" (you know, the Grandmaster types) folks. I had knee surgery a couple of months ago and am still recouping but throwing anyway. Needless to say it has changed my throw. I can't get all the way over on my right side (RHBH) so I'm wondering if there are and "compensating" techniques that will still allow a decent throw without over stressing my knee to the point it ends my throwing days.

Any thoughts on how you could minimize the pressure on the knee during bracing?

This is the section of his post I am referring to...

JR said:
There is one form that does not jam the leg and bang up your body as hard as jamming the leg in place until or very close to the rip or diagonal running but still produces more power than regular straight line moderate short jamming of the leg. The double pivot suffers from such a quick= powerful turning that visual aiming is hard to nigh impossible but it need not plant as hard as possible to gain a distance benefit over a straight line run. The double pivot is ran in an arc running somewhat diagonally to the left in the first two steps of the x step and planting to the center of the tee after the x step has pivoted on the left ball of the foot. The double pivot increases the reach back length thus the time available for acceleration and also weight shift distance and rotational momentum just like a 360 throw. Just not in the same scale but much more controllably for practical golf applications.

Had an interesting email:

"I've only been playing about 3 years and your articles have helped immensely. One thing I'd like to see; or at least hear your thoughts on....are about us "older" (you know, the Grandmaster types) folks. I had knee surgery a couple of months ago and am still recouping but throwing anyway. Needless to say it has changed my throw. I can't get all the way over on my right side (RHBH) so I'm wondering if there are and "compensating" techniques that will still allow a decent throw without over stressing my knee to the point it ends my throwing days."

Any thoughts on how you could minimize the pressure on the knee during bracing?

Before giving advice on re-building his throw, I would want to know if his physician cleared him for an activity like disc golf, that stresses the knee.

Usually after knee surgery, you're advised to become increasingly mobile, i.e. walking to strengthen the knee, before moving on to more strenuous activities.

Reducing speed into the plant will always reduce stress on the joints, and eliminating the run up would be may primary suggestion.

On a side note, he should probably be more focused on rehab than throwing right now. It always feels better before its really ready to take additional stress. Ligaments do not heal fast at all, 3 months is not even close to enough time to start placing additional stress on the knee.

Just had a buddy get his knee completely redone (torn meniscus and complete ACL separation). Definitely want to consult with your physician to see what you can or can't do after knee surgery. My buddy was in PT for almost a year before he could start playing and he's younger. I can imagine an older person would need longer recovery time.

That being said, assuming the knee has healed, I think proper form shouldn't be that destructive to the knee. Take it easy and wear a brace. Those sturdy plastic ones work best although they can be a PITA in the summer with sweat and such.

I know a top pro GM that was playing full tilt only 2-3 months after having both knees replaced. He is FH dominate, but also throws a decent BH. Obviously different types of knee surgeries/injuries and different people react differently and have different form.

IIRC Bradley Walker talked about the Double Pivot in the Snap 2009 thread. That's essentially what most the top pros and I do. I've had meniscus tears and grade 2 tears in the MCL and ACL from previous sports injuries, so I've tried to reduce the torque on the knee as much as possible. I'd advise against trying to pivot like McBeth or Will S for those with knee problems. Feldy, Avery and Brinster probably have the safest form.

As for the questioner having issue getting on the right side, I'd advise to never leave the right side or by more than a few inches which is really all that is needed for weightshift. It's when your stance and balance widens up that torque to the knee becomes an issue because there's two different axes of support. It is really hard to torque the knee when all your weight/balance is on the front leg/foot on one axis(One-leg drill). The knee is designed to move up and down, not side to side, so the pressure in the knee should feel like a squatting/thrusting motion. The pivot on the heel allows the hip to rotate/clear without twisting or torquing the knee.

Dang, I hate to read these posts! I just got in from playing myself, limping my way through the course. I have MCL surgery scheduled for next Friday. I too, am one of the older ones on the board. I was hoping for a good month off and then ready to go. I have been trying to adjust my plant foot every so slightly to take some of the pressure off of it upon landing and well as focusing more on my stand still technique to use to get back in the game sooner. Getting old sucks!

Learn forehand

Yes! This

For me , it takes a lot less effort to throw a disc forehand. Plus, he wouldn't be stressing his recovering knee. Now I'm sure it would be difficult to use only forehand all round, but maybe at least half his throws/approach shots until he recovers. Or just add that to his game from now on.

First of all, thanks HyzerUniBomber for posting this...I'm reading some good things here. To answer a couple of questions that came up is yes, my surgeon has cleared me to play. I had the surgery January 15th and according to him I'm ahead of schedule. This is what was done: Partial medial and lateral tears of meniscus (they removed the damaged parts) and a general grinding, reshaping and drilling of the bone endings involved in order to promote a smooth healing. My ACL and PCL were fine so no worries there. I do wear braces on both knees for lateral support (my left knee will need to be done too but not for a while yet.

What I'm looking for I may find with this group...a way to throw to get some decent distance while reducing the stress on the knees. Am I a long thrower? Not by a long shot...300-320 is about the best I can do. Refining technique may help with that; something I definitely will work on. Along with that I have really been working on approaches, getting out of trouble and putting. That's probably the best place for me to save throws and lower my scores a bit.

Again, many thanks to all the replies....if anything else comes up please let me know!

I have some reading to do about this "double pivot"...!!

If 320' is about the best you can do, then I'd say throw from a standstill and hone your technique. You'll be able to throw that far from a standstill.

I'm a GM and spent my youth muscling discs out that far. Can't do it these days and trying was causing lots of pain. I've been working from a standstill (no step of any sort, no backswing, just torso rotation and arm) and when the timing works, I'm throwing 270' to 300'. Once I get more consistent, I'll add a short step and backswing and look for more distance than I ever had when younger.

I know a top pro GM that was playing full tilt only 2-3 months after having both knees replaced. He is FH dominate, but also throws a decent BH. Obviously different types of knee surgeries/injuries and different people react differently and have different form.

IIRC Bradley Walker talked about the Double Pivot in the Snap 2009 thread. That's essentially what most the top pros and I do. I've had meniscus tears and grade 2 tears in the MCL and ACL from previous sports injuries, so I've tried to reduce the torque on the knee as much as possible. I'd advise against trying to pivot like McBeth or Will S for those with knee problems. Feldy, Avery and Brinster probably have the safest form.

As for the questioner having issue getting on the right side, I'd advise to never leave the right side or by more than a few inches which is really all that is needed for weightshift. It's when your stance and balance widens up that torque to the knee becomes an issue because there's two different axes of support. It is really hard to torque the knee when all your weight/balance is on the front leg/foot on one axis(One-leg drill). The knee is designed to move up and down, not side to side, so the pressure in the knee should feel like a squatting/thrusting motion. The pivot on the heel allows the hip to rotate/clear without twisting or torquing the knee.

Can you explain what you mean by never leaving the right side? Also, do you have a video of the one-leg drill? Thanks SW!

I'm also a GM and dealing with a partial meniscus tear. But as I've said before, this may have been a blessing in disguise. Since I've had to slow down and learn how to lean forward so I pivot correctly I'm throwing better than ever. I wear a brace to limit horizontal movement and also keep from hyper extending my knee. My typical max d from an x-step is now 350+, from a stand still 300+. In reality, a straight 300+ shot will keep you in the game all day long so I would just focus on that for now.

Anyone who's seen me throw knows I'm not offering tips on form. "Add forehand" seems to be great advice (even with 2 good knees).

But I'll pass along that I'm a GM who had surgery for medial & lateral meniscus tears a couple of years ago, though on my back knee. Not as much stress on the back knee, but I was able to throw full power in fairly short time. I didn't have the smoothing and have arthritic pain in that knee, but it's as stable as it ever was. (However, in the following months I did slip and fall twice, bending my foot behind me, and the pain was phenomenal). So, Best of Luck!

I'd say throw from standstill, at least that way you won't be catching as much body force as with more forward momentum. You can definitely throw further than 320' from standstill if you focus on the technique...especially if you focus on smooth throws with fairway drivers/mellower distance drivers. This is likely the safest way to get back to it and test out what works/doesn't work for your knee.

Dang, I hate to read these posts! I just got in from playing myself, limping my way through the course. I have MCL surgery scheduled for next Friday. I too, am one of the older ones on the board. I was hoping for a good month off and then ready to go. I have been trying to adjust my plant foot every so slightly to take some of the pressure off of it upon landing and well as focusing more on my stand still technique to use to get back in the game sooner. Getting old sucks!

Beats the alternative.
Stay thankful, my brother!!

Tore ACL, PCL, and Meniscii in both knees, MCL in Left, had Hamstring grafts on both. Surgeries were 2001 & 2003... I'm 27 now and just started discing 2013... I was terrified I'd rip my knees out driving max distance, but the key is SLOW THE EFF DOWN! Proper form will not stress the knee, if you pivot. I have not once felt my knee give or have any doubt whatsoever about it's integrity, but it took awhile and lots of patience learning to throw smooth and rhythmically.