• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's say you couldn't stress your knee

I've had knee problems. I have to spin on my heel, and I have to wear shoes that don't have much tread. If I wear anything with a lot of tread then my foot sticks in the grass and I can't spin on my heel, this causes tremendous knee torque.

Stand still throws aren't necessarily less torque on the knee, and I find it harder to spin on my heel if I stand still and throw.

Hi All,

I have read all the responses over quite a few times to get some things straight in my head. I threw for about 45 minutes tonight; this is where I'm at right now:

Run-up is now more of a "stride-up" ....step forward with the right, x step, plant left and throw. Little different feel; only a slight loss of distance...which I'll regain I'm sure.

Plant with a shorter stride with the knee slightly bent...

Working very hard on having the left hand on outside; reach back, pull to right pec and accelerate through.

It seems though that I have to exaggerate a follow through to even get one...very strange. When I do a dry run I plant, throw and spin without an issue. When I throww for real it still seems I'm somehow hanging back...so for now I'll do it like a left handed golfer and get up on my left toe and pull through.

Anything I'm missing here??

^^^Not that it'll make any difference to the LH hate common on DGCR, but lefties don't "get up on their toes" any more than righties do.
At least 2 posts suggested throwing forehand---there's your answer.
Or---you could learn to throw lefty. :D :p :rolleyes: :|

I should have said get up on the toe of the rear leg....in stick golf for a right hander that would be the right foot, for lefties the left foot. I'm trying to get the weight shift to the front (target side) leg.

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice and tips. This will give me some idea on how to improve without stressing my knee to the point where I can no longer throw. There have two things that have helped immensely so far. The first is to just slow down and not try and "goon" a disc out there. I played 3 discs each off 17 holes and had no shoulder strain at all. The second thing is maybe a little bit of a detriment but I'm now flexing my plant knee a bit more with a shorter stride. Helps get the weight shift in sync a bit better and takes lots of knee torque away. Mentally exaggerating my follow through (getting my left shoulder pointing at the target as a minimum) also seems to be helping along with picturing a left handed stick golf finish with the left heel raised and dragging my left toe.

Again, many thanks everyone! Can't play like I'm 26 but thankful I can play at 56....just wish I would have started playing long ago instead of a just few years ago.

Glad to hear, and it's been really nice to see the master/grandmaster players around here chiming in. Turning 40 in 2 months and it's good to know I got plenty of time to beat up on these young punks!

If your other knee is strong why not throw left handed (backhand)?

Glad to hear, and it's been really nice to see the master/grandmaster players around here chiming in. Turning 40 in 2 months and it's good to know I got plenty of time to beat up on these young punks!

I'm 43 so you I consider you a young punk. :p

Daleh2013, good luck with the knee. I had ACL surgery less than 2 years ago and still working through it. It's taken this long cuz I was too lazy to keep going with my PT.

Thanks Wildwing....didn't have and ACL or PCL work done, just removing some meniscus and smoothing out bone endings. I'm told it'll hurt for a while yet but it's because of the bone work..but as long as I wear braces I'm cleared to play. Which is exactly what I am going to do!

This has been useful. I've a friend who just expressed interest in learning how to throw. She's in her 40s and injured her knee last year, so I'll have to show her how to throw in ways that don't put a lot of stress on her knee. My knees are solid, so I can't really say what too much stress would be. Seeing commentary from those of you with bad knees gives me more confidence as to how to coach her.

TAFL, glad this helped.....it certainly helped me. I'm trying to incorporate a lot of changes which isn't easy. You have to be ready to take a big hit score wise until the changes become more fluid rather than mechanical. Worst thing to do is constantly think of changes and trying to shoot a low score...IMO this won't happen. Work on technique in practice; then worry about course strategy and scoring another time.

I will tell you it will pay off. I played Saturday; a cold and windy day in Medina, OH but still good enough to get out. Spent the entire round worrying about the changes I'm making so my score was pretty pathetic. Wasn't throwing all that great either....until like the 16th hole. One of those things...didn't know what, how or anything other than it was an effortless, painless throw. Blew it past the two guys in my group...and they are usually longer than I am. And I mean blew it by them by 35 or 40 feet. Unbelievable. Now all I have to do is get it repeating.

The next day I knew I had made some kind of change because my shoulder/arm was absolutely fine....but my legs/ core were a little stiff. Good sign... however I did tweak my knee a little but I expected it since I'm working on so many mechanics.

So, all of this will work at some point. It's good that you will be helping someone just starting out doing the right things right. I certainly wish her luck and welcome to such a great sport!

I'm a SGM and have had both knees replaced. My right knee has a Oxford knee which is only half a replacement on the medial (inside) part of the knee. My left knee feels great however my right knee is giving me issues on the lateral (outside) part.
Does anyone here have a video.of what JR is referring to the double pivot? If someone has one I think ot would be a very useful tool for all the people who have knee issues.
I love this game and would crawl if I need to just so I can see my disc fly in the air.

Does anyone here have a video.of what JR is referring to the double pivot? If someone has one I think ot would be a very useful tool for all the people who have knee issues.
I love this game and would crawl if I need to just so I can see my disc fly in the air.
Most the top pros do a double pivot, rear foot/heel pivots up then front foot pivots on heel.

Great video; helps get a mental picture of what is supposed to happen. trying to get the left foot pivoting and being less "passive". Doing so relieves a bunch of torque on the front. Because of my right knee issues I take a bit of a shorter stride with my plant; the bracing everyone talks about isn't as dramatic but again it's to save what I believe SW referred to as a "two-axis" torque that can happen when taking a longer plant leg stride to brace. I'll leave that up to the young guys....

HUB actually started this thread some time back when I contacted him directly about some technique tips for those of us that deal with a joint thing...my case bad knees. It's been quite some time and since I've posted any type of progress; wanted to give myself plenty of time for field work and play. First of all; many thanks to all who replied, especially HUB and Sidewinder for some much needed guidance and direction.

In addition to working on technique I've also been working on myself. Since January I've dropped 32 lbs. Have a little more to go to be where I want but trust me; dropping the weight changed my entire throw. Unfortunately it didn't do much for my knees....left one will be repaired in September (meniscus thing) and the right is just too far gone...total replacement will happen in November. Have also been doing some weight training to get stronger....definitely do not have the body type that the bigger arms seem to have. Built more like a tailback or linebacker than a wide receiver..lol.

At this point I don't really have the ability to do much of an active brace during the throw because of the torque I put on myself...but I'm working on it. No taking a longer plant step for me...have to keep it shorter. Also am learning to throw FH which helps as well. What has happened over the months is my consistency...much, much better...and way more accurate. Am I ever going to be a big arm? Doubt it; I'm turning 58 soon....but, I will stay in the game.

I guess if I had any advice to offer at all it would be this....read these forums; study technique, do the drills that have been offered and practice! It all translates at some point...scores get better and even more importantly eyebrows get raised...eyebrows of the younger guns that wonder how an older guy continues to be in the hunt...and sometimes comes out on top.

Latest posts