• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Level playing field not so level, yet?

The level at which those guys are competing makes a big difference. They can't afford to even make slight mistakes. They need to have far more familiarity with their discs in order to be competitive than you or I do.

That said, most of the guys on tour are still throwing discs that they've been using for years and years. Paul is just that much better than them when the pressure is on.

Theoretically speaking...
In a tournament with 4 rounds, the total of strokes may be 200 or more.
If someone is 1% better because he has has been throwing the same discs since he started (early teens?), then he has a two-stroke advantage by the time the tourney is completed.

Here's my point, if the Prodigy players are only a teeny bit less confident because of the new plastic, then they are walking into the Tourney with enough disadvantage to lose.

First, I admire Paul most for his skill and professionalism.
I also admire Paul for sticking with Innova. It was a smart move on his part and I believe that it is at least partailly responsible for his success over his ship-jumping Prodigy rivals.
It is the Indian, not the arrow. But if I'm the Indian, I want an arrow that I can trust in completely.
Nevertheless...
Ultimately, Paul deserves the credit for his accomplishments.

Feldberg is a great example. He learned a whole new bag and he credits that fact with why he's had such a good year. He's said that throwing and learning new discs caused him to rethink and adjust some aspects of his game that had gotten stale. He said he was able to shed a bunch of old habits borne of having the same old discs to fall back on.

I'm pretty sure the Beard also said part of his substandard play at GBO was due to not knowing his discs that well.

Almost every new disc I use, I think I've got figured out after a couple weeks. Then about once a week for the next few months I throw them in different settings than I had before, and realize how little I actually do know them.

That being said, if his work ethic is as much better than others as I think it might be, that's what I credit his success to.

Last edited:
I guess you'd have to ask how McBeth won last year's worlds when there was no prodigy before you question how he won this year's.

It is the Indian, not the arrow. But if I'm the Indian, I want an arrow that I can trust in completely.

Can we please come up with a new metaphor? I think I saw it at least four times in this topic alone.

How about:

It's not the bullet, it's the sniper.
It's not the lady, it's the pimp.
It's not the hole, it's the pole.
It's not the beer, it's the drunk.

Anything but the arrow and Indian, puhleeze.

Can we please come up with a new metaphor? I think I saw it at least four times in this topic alone.

How about:

It's not the hole, it's the pole.
which makes this a whole lot better :p
But if I'm the Indian, I want an arrow that I can trust in completely.
:
If I'm the pole, I want a hole I can trust completely

I always try to watch a lot of videos on Youtube when new ones are available. One thing that I've noticed is that Nikko just doesn't look the same when throwing as he used to. It may just be me, but his shots don't seem as consistent.

Again, it's hard to say what the cause is, as there are many variable in play. But it seems that new discs could have contributed.

I think it's that Paul's just super clutch as was mentioned. When it gets close and the intensity ratchets up he plays that much better. He lives for those kind of moments

I always try to watch a lot of videos on Youtube when new ones are available. One thing that I've noticed is that Nikko just doesn't look the same when throwing as he used to. It may just be me, but his shots don't seem as consistent.

Again, it's hard to say what the cause is, as there are many variable in play. But it seems that new discs could have contributed.

I wonder if he's still dealing with that back injury from last year, back problems can linger for a really long time.

I think there's to many variables to say that just b/c someone switched out all the discs in their bag to a new company that they are going to play worse. Changing all of their discs could help or hurt them, it really depends on the person & how they setup their bag. Throwing Prodigy didn't seem to effect Paige Pierce or Catrina Allen. In the end it's the Indian, not the arrow.

OP so you're saying Wysocki is really a 1060 player? Probably been mentioned in the thread just didn't read the whole thing but these guys aren't players going to practice after 10 hours in a factory, rather they are out all day practicing and probably know exactly how their discs fly. McBeth puts in the work and on a hurt knee still dominates I believe it's that simple.

i think pauls mental game is simply better. dude is a GREAT closer, and that wins golf tournaments.

i think pauls mental game is simply better. dude is a GREAT closer, and that wins golf tournaments.
Totally agreed he has ice in his veins and loves pressure. That is a great combo for tourneys. Even if Paul dies not catch the champ we are witnessing the best golfer in the game today and possibly ever to this point.