• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Liberty Basket review (and Salient Discs review)

Thank you for thew INFO, Mark! I , Personally, thought zinc plating and Galvanizing were 2 different things, because of the Hot Dipping process. Kinda like Krylon Chrome and actual Chrome dipping. I really appreciate the info!

They are two different things Jnichols.

Nobody refers to zinc-plated steel as galvanized, they always refer to it as zinc plated steel. Why? because zinc plated steel is 3 microns thick and not designed for outdoor use.

A Jacuzzi is a hot tub, but a hot tub is not necessarily a jacuzzi. see what I mean?

When should you use galvanized steel or zinc plated steel?
http://www.graphskill.com/2011/03/09/when-should-you-use-galvanized-steel-or-zinc-plated-steel/

Essentially, it's a lie of omission on Salient's part.

What do you expect to get from them? I can promise it will never happen. As for giving the facts and providing info as to the product you purchase Im sure many of us feel for you but not much here which is going to resolve your issue or bring any light to the subject. I personally appreciate the fact you took the time to write up as you did and I think it will benefit many others in the future.

Salient sucks, that's that.

What do you expect to get from them? I can promise it will never happen. As for giving the facts and providing info as to the product you purchase Im sure many of us feel for you but not much here which is going to resolve your issue or bring any light to the subject. I personally appreciate the fact you took the time to write up as you did and I think it will benefit many others in the future.

Salient sucks, that's that.

I just wanted them to send me a half dozen aerosol cans of this compund:
http://www.ubsindustries.com/GalvanizingCompound.ubr

It's not that expensive($60). I would have done the labour, I don't understand why they wouldn't accommodate.

The other thing I wanted, was for them just to take the feedback and make a better product, because I was still thinking of ordering another 9 from them in the future. But since they couldn't even acknowledge anything wrong with their product or how they advertised it, they won't be getting any purchases in Canada again.

Other issue I was going to address was the anchor/sleeve/tab system. It's better shown with video, but skinny of it is they are flimsy.

A $10 padlocks that are impervious to bolt cutters are a waste of money, because the tab itself can be cut with bolt cutters, like what happened to our Basket #2l

Also, the male and female sleeve don't connect snug with each other, so it swivels/wobbles a bit. The basket poles taper and fit snug, I don't understand why they couldn't do the same thing with the male/female sleeve/anchor system.

The other thing is the male sleeve isn't one piece of steel, it's 2 pieces that are actually easily turned into an articulating joint with a kick from a kid.

Attachments

• number5basket.jpg
    number5basket.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 71
  • malesleeve4.jpg
    malesleeve4.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 69
  • leanbasket4.jpg
    leanbasket4.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 73
I paid for galvanized chains, but I received zinc electroplated chains. There is a 10 or 15 year anti-rust difference.

I understand your point...

I'm just saying that now you know not to do business with them. They will eventually/hopefully sink themselves.

I have experience playing on the DN Liberty baskets. Didn't realize they had any connection with Salient.

They're decent enough baskets for the price, and haven't rusted despite several winters (2 or 3) in typical Michigan wintery conditions.

Did not have any experience with the flimsy sleeves, as the ones I've seen use the portable bases and aren't anchored.

That said, Salient's customer service is pretty notoriously bad from all I've heard and seen (which is a fair amount).

I think that relationship was short lived with DN..must have had a better version at one time'

DN was a bag seller and had lots of salient models too which are no longer listed.

I think that relationship was short lived with DN..must have had a better version at one time'

DN was a bag seller and had lots of salient models too which are no longer listed.

Yeah, not certain at all on that.

They definitely looked different than that website pic in that they were a metallic color and not the powder-coated red/blue....very similar in look to OP pics.

Hey now, Octopus wasn't a terrible album. :|

I have experience playing on the DN Liberty baskets. Didn't realize they had any connection with Salient.

They're decent enough baskets for the price, and haven't rusted despite several winters (2 or 3) in typical Michigan wintery conditions.

Did not have any experience with the flimsy sleeves, as the ones I've seen use the portable bases and aren't anchored.

That said, Salient's customer service is pretty notoriously bad from all I've heard and seen (which is a fair amount).

Salient Discs modified the design from DN so it would cost them less to ship and cost cheaper too. The DN version might have better Galvanizing. I believe Salient went with a lower quality zinc electroplating to save costs.

P.S:, The Baskets at your course in Michigan are on portable stands, and left out over the winter? How do you prevent theft?

A Big thank you to Salient Discs , specifically their company rep Scott.

Salient Discs contacted me to help me, and sent me funds so now I can order some ZRC galvanizing compound to ensure these baskets are going to look good and rust free for years to come.

P.S: It has already snowed up here in Dawson Creek, aka Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway , ack!

:clap:

Meh. They'll be gone soon enough. I've heard NOTHING but horror stories about Salient from local club and store owners.

Sorry to hear of everyone's misfortune. Especially with such awful responses from the company. It 10x worse when you think you're getting a great deal, only to be let down then disrespected...

A Big thank you to Salient Discs , specifically their company rep Scott.

Salient Discs contacted me to help me, and sent me funds so now I can order some ZRC galvanizing compound to ensure these baskets are going to look good and rust free for years to come.

P.S: It has already snowed up here in Dawson Creek, aka Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway , ack!

:clap:

Did they force you to post this in return for them trying to make things right.

Well...at least they made it right eventually.

haha, no Horsman, I just tell it like it is.

I've already noticed some rust on welded spots on the cage that is powder coated, which I found weird.... like some rust leaked through the paint, or the paint couldn't get into the small crevice/joints. Oh well, the baskets met the goal and needs I had, which was cheapest 9 Championship level baskets that would ship the quickest.

A couple other baskets would have been the same price per unit, if you bought in multiples of 18 and wanted to wait a couple months, which made them not the right fit at the time.

I am surprised how well they catch, especially considering their chains aren't the beefiest. I'm not a particularly hard putter though. I landed a 90 foot upshot with my gummy Rhyno the other day, so I know they catch well. I've been surprised a few times when my putts didn't bounce/spit out, especially when hit very high up.

other baskets you get bounce backs/spit outs when you hit really high up.

I've also hit low and very far outside to the left a few times, and they dropped in to my surprise a few times. I think the two major factors for why they catch well when hit low to the outside is because the nubs are very large, and the cage's inside diameter is 2.5cm larger compared to the Discatcher Pro and Mach V. Another factor maybe why they catch well low and high is maybe because the chains aren't super beefy, so the chains don't deflect discs away from the basket.

I have seen two bad cut-throughs though, that is it's weakness most likely, but overall for my putting style, I think the chain assembly is good design.

Last edited:
-1 to Salient.....
BCDan should never have had this experience to begin with. A good company should always stand by there product and make it right to paying customers. In a product market customer satisfaction should always be right up at the top well above profit margins. If you don't have a customer basis then your products won't sell. Running a business unethically is a sure fire way to inevitably run that business to the ground.