• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lightning Discs

My fiance uses a couple of their discs. The low end plastic gets beat up really fast (much faster than Innova DX), but she likes them besides that.

lightning has a number of discs that are amongst the easiest to throw of any discs on the market. i'm a big fan of the #2 and #3 flyers as first discs.

they only have 2 discs that would fit into the modern driver category (the #1 and #2 helix). i think the #2 helix is a pretty decent disc. stability is similar to a polaris ls but faster and with more glide.

NO! Don't waste your time. There are so many better discs out there. The #1 driver is OK, kinda flies like a valk. The plastic gets trashed quick though and these discs become useless in a matter of throws. I actually kind of like the #1 helix, but other than that lightnings are junk. They also seem to fly slower and shorter than innovas or discrafts.

most of lightning's models are from ~1987-1995 and fly comperable distances to discs made by other manufacturers from that era.

their most recent discs are the #2 helix, #2 upshot, and #4 driver.

the #2 upshot is actually a very under-rated disc. great low profile beaded putter similar to a flatter classic roc.

the #2 hookshot was the first disc to break the 600' barrier (1987) and is one of my favorite discs from them (similar range to a storm or cobra).

i don't say to avoid them altogether, but expect to outgrow their line as you progress. if you are already there, there is little/no need for them.

i can say i would much rather see a #1 driver/flyer in the hands of a newbie than 99% of innova and discraft's line.

what about the rubber putter, for a while (like before everyone loved wizards) they were the putter to have, oh and they float! :lol:

the rubber putter gets flippy if you try and push it beyond ~175'. the only putters i ever condone should be stable well beyond that :)