• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Lightweight Options

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Looks like a whole slew of Trilogy discs in the 130-144 and 145-159 weights;
Ruby,Breakout,Diamond,Jade,Sapphire,Evader. I'd love to get some feedback on any of these as I would like to order some for an upcoming tournament.

Last edited:
I throw the Diamond under specific conditions as my long range driver. Speed 8 with a ton of glide, the turn on this disc can be a little squirrelly even for an older, slower arm. But in calm conditions or a gentle tail wind, it hyzer flips nicely, and can sometimes glide out on an intended path 50 feet or more than my usual fairway drivers do.

My daughter and wife will throw a 150-160 Diamond a good bit. My wife was a huge fan of the Elasto one when it was available but sadly lost it. For slower arms it's a bomber.

Thanks guys. The only disc that significantly outflies anything else for me at this point is a beat 140 StarLite Mamba, but it has a mind of it's own...totally unreliable. I bought 5 and am down to the last one. The 150's don't have nearly the distance for whatever reason. Anyway, I've lost 50 feet after knee replacement and looking to get it back, as well as getting some nice lightweight stamped discs for the Sugaree Jubilee.

That whole trilogy line is excellent. For anyone who wants to play some disc golf, but can't generate adequate release speed for standard fairways, the Latitude 64 easy throw like is a slam dunk.

I'd definitely start with the diamond. If you can reliably get a good shape out of that one, then maybe mix in a Sapphire to see if that gives you any extra distance.

Lightweight mambas are nice too, but I personally have better luck with the Latitude line. They've been generally more consistent and are shaped for maximum glide.

I bag a Sapphire and Diamond. Sapphire is just a nice driver for me, comparable to a light Wraith.

Diamond after years of throwing it badly, has become m,y tunnel shot and tailwind champion after learning how to hyzer flip.

I also have a Jade I haven't thrown in a while, but have fond memories of.

Hell, Maul, Falchion, Underworld and Hatchet belong in this convo as well especially <170.

These are easy to throw fun discs, but at higher weights and do some amazing shots on turnover lines for the non-rubber armed.

I tossed a Lucid Breakout in the bag today and I'm loving it so far. I thought they had stopped making them but seen some in stock over the winter and picked up 3. The Diamond, like everyone else has mentioned, is a sneaky good mold. Sapphires are faster and a little "beefier" than Diamonds. I was bagging a Lucid Air Evader early last season and it worked well, not sure why it came out actually.

I've thrown Jades but didn't click with them for whatever reason. The Ruby was a weird one, wasn't that a putter or something. There used to be a Pearl too I think. Never clicked with those two.

Thanks guys. The only disc that significantly outflies anything else for me at this point is a beat 140 StarLite Mamba, but it has a mind of it's own...totally unreliable. I bought 5 and am down to the last one. The 150's don't have nearly the distance for whatever reason. Anyway, I've lost 50 feet after knee replacement and looking to get it back, as well as getting some nice lightweight stamped discs for the Sugaree Jubilee.

Sapphire likely will give you more predictability though likely doesn't have the same potential as a mamba, but it doesn't matter what weight/speed class disc we are throwing we all have to sacrifice a little max for a little control sometimes. Finding the balance is key. I would rather be 30' short than 50' wide.

I bag the Ruby, Jade and Sapphire and I have been doing so since the Sapphire was released.

The Ruby is a trick shot disc. It is to disc golf what a 64 degree lob wedge is to ball golf. I only use it when close to the basket and have a difficult lie, i.e. I need to throw a short anhyzer that absolutely will not fade, or am buried in the rough and can only flick my wrist to putt.

The Jade is my favorite and is very reliable for a light weight understable driver provided you have a hyzer release.

The Sapphire has enough stability that it's useful to almost everyone except those whose preferred shot is a hard anhyzer. Albert Tamm even uses it to throw Tomahawks.

The Jade and Sapphire are control drivers from which you can get good consistent distance, but they won't match your best throw with a true distance driver. I usually use them for standstill shots from the tee and fairway.

I have a Gold Sapphire. I traded my son a VIP Air Sword for it because it was too stable for him. The Sapphire really likes a good hard throw. It doesn't like to hyzer flip for distance like the numbers would suggest because the late fade is so strong. Thrown flat or with a hint of anhyzer and the thing just goes and goes. Record distances in tailwinds and not completely useless in headwinds. It is a great driver for anyone, perhaps a bit much for beginners. Fwiw I max out around 375' but I've put the Sapphire out to 465' with an extreme tailwind, so its place in my bag is cemented.

I have Diamonds and Breakouts for my kids and they love them. The Diamond does fly true to the numbers and is a hyzer flip machine. The Breakout is a bit more stable all around, maybe a touch longer because of it. I could see them complementing each other well.

Discovered the Breakout this winter: really fun disc to throw. Mine were base-line, would be interested in a premium plastic version someday. Reminded me a lot of the Jade.

Latest posts