• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Little River disc golf course, Moore Oklahoma

wake_rider

Birdie Member
a big F4 or F5 tornado just crossed right over the top of Little River disc golf course in Moore. I would be surprised if the place still exists. Man it was almost 2 miles wide right over the top of course. All that work that Sparky put into it and it was just really completed, I just really hope it's still around.

oh man, nevermind course at this point all the houses and all the schools around the course have been wiped clean down to the foundation. This is terrible.

A destruction path is almost 1 mile wide at points. I live about 8 miles south of all of this and it was almost black to our north, almost zero visibility.

Wow, that is tragic! I live in Tulsa and have been watching coverage at work. My thoughts go out to everyone there. We are bracing here in Tulsa hoping for the best!

Little River is wiped out!

This is tragic. Gona be many dead and injured.

All the kids at the Briar Elementary are thank god safe they are stating.

I remember driving through OKC in 99 right after that tornado hit, I was shocked at the damage. I can't imagine what is going on right now. My thoughts and prayers go out to you guys in Moore and the surrounding area! I'm glad that those kids are safe!

I hope to God that those two DG courses were empty!

'99's tornado was larger and longer tracked. This one today traveled almost in the same area that it hit in '99. The difference is that Moore has grown significantly since then. The debris cloud of this tornado was 2 miles wide. Major destruction.

There was a 7-11 on the northeast corner of Little River park that is no longer there. Completely gone. I heard there was at least 3 fatalities in that 7-11.

There was a mini scheduled at that course today but of course that was canceled. The park is normally heavily trafficked by walkers, fishermen, kids that bike through that park and dog walkers. There was a lot of forewarning for this storm but I too hope no one was at the park.

I feel real bad that Sparky has most probably lost the course. I understand he was trying to open a dg store in an empty lot just north of the park as well (I could be wrong though). Doubt that will happen now. The loss of the course, if that's the case, pales in comparison to all of the major damage done to residents, animals and property.

We've survived many tornados and we'll get back up and put the pieces back together again.

OKC is definitely a resilient city!

Most definitely. Between tornados and the Murrah bombing, we survive.

On a sad note, the news is saying that in one of the schools that were hit, they have gone from search and rescue to search and recover. Unconfirmed reports of 11 children drowned and most likely they will find the remaining 13 in the same condition. Sad day here.

I heard the reporter on the scene breakdown when he gave that announcement. It just rips ones heart out to hear that!

But you are correct! You do survive! I was living in Ft Worth in 99, and I would drive through OKC going back to Iowa to visit family. It wasn't very long, and you couldn't even tell there was a Tornado. I'm referring to the area around 35.

I heard the reporter on the scene breakdown when he gave that announcement. It just rips ones heart out to hear that!

But you are correct! You do survive! I was living in Ft Worth in 99, and I would drive through OKC going back to Iowa to visit family. It wasn't very long, and you couldn't even tell there was a Tornado. I'm referring to the area around 35.

Yeah, we rebuild fast. Unfortunately this will be the second time since '99 that that particular area of I-35 has been hit. Once in 2003 and now today.

On a weird note, my business is probably going to pick up. I produce an OKC street guide and my busiest months are just after natural disasters. Chances are I'll be working with FEMA in the next couple of days/weeks, and a lot of out-of-state'rs too. I will do everything I can to help the emergency response organizations.

Just tragic. i go to school at OU in Norman which is right next to moore. just got home to tulsa less than two weeks ago. my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the moore area affected by this. little river was an extremely fun course and it is so sad that all that work is now lost and that so many lives were lost

The blue circle is my old house. It's leveled.

The red is the elementary school where so many of those kids passed and many are still trapped.

The green is Little River DGC.

The white is the central path of the tornado where everything is leveled. So odd to see.

Attachments

• 1369107480870.jpg
    1369107480870.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 106
Good God, this is Joplin all over again. Just heard that there are 91 fatalities so far. :(

And I hate losing a course in this manner, but that sort of loss is miniscule against massive loss of life here, particularly the loss of two dozen schoolchildren.

Prayers to all our OKC area folks.

I drove thru Moore 4 times in two days back in Oct '12 and immediately thought "I know where that is".
My thoughts are with everyone having to endure this tragic event.