• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LIVE COVERAGE-The Battle at Vista by SmashBoxxTV- Leiviska, Lizotte, McCray,Sexton

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTVeCKA2AdM

Kicking off SmashBoxxTV's extensive coverage at the 2015 Memorial Championships will be The Battle at Vista. Monday morning's show down will feature Cale Leiviska (Prodigy Discs), Simon Lizotte (Discmania Discs), JohnE McCray (Latitude Discs) and Nate Sexton (Innova Discs).

Not only are these four of the best competitors in the world but they are also some of the most laid back, relaxed and genuinely nice players we find on the PDGA Tour. It's even been rumored that we may host a "Compliment Contest" just to see which guy is the most gracious in battle.

Stay tuned to SmashBoxxTV all week as we bring you live round coverage Wednesday through Saturday as well as a nightly podcast Tuesday through Friday.

#StepInsideTheSmashBoxx

Here is a "I am watching this now bump!"

When will the Boxx live coverage kick off, and where will we find it? Their Youtube channel?

Cale needs to mount a jug carrier on his cart or find a volunteer to lug it around. Well at least it gets lighter as you drink more...

yeah YT for coverage. I believe some podcast/late night shows will be going on along with the live coverage stuff. If you subscribe to smashboxx on YT you will get the updates on new stuff as well. They generally post event reminders you can get on as well.

Was a little rough today with the rain'

I didn't have much hope for the feed being up to par after the first couple holes. I have a feeling this round was to help work out kinks for the event. I was also surprised at how close the cameras got to the players, even in their vision on some putts. I know it's something they have to deal with, but I wonder how much that messed with them?

Definitely experienced a few delays on the broadcast today. Also hope the commentary will be a little more in-depth, rather than just "Cale misses right" three seconds after Cale misses right.

Still, should be nice to be able to watch it as it happens. Good stuff.

I didn't have much hope for the feed being up to par after the first couple holes. I have a feeling this round was to help work out kinks for the event. I was also surprised at how close the cameras got to the players, even in their vision on some putts. I know it's something they have to deal with, but I wonder how much that messed with them?

That for sure!! Way to close IMO. There was one putt JohnE on kind of a side hill (around 1:40 ish) where he almost looks to change his stance because of it... That entire whole the camera guys looked in the way.. Meh whatever its coverage

That for sure!! Way to close IMO. There was one putt JohnE on kind of a side hill (around 1:40 ish) where he almost looks to change his stance because of it... That entire whole the camera guys looked in the way.. Meh whatever its coverage

I remember seeing him next to someone at one point and thinking, "he could sneeze on him". That and being right next to the basket on putts. It was an exhibition, and it's the nice guy group (minus MJ ;)), but I can't say I remember ever thinking that in any previous coverage.

It was still nice to get to see some pros turring up Vista for free. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Definitely experienced a few delays on the broadcast today. Also hope the commentary will be a little more in-depth, rather than just "Cale misses right" three seconds after Cale misses right.

Still, should be nice to be able to watch it as it happens. Good stuff.

DG Guy's commentary has always been extremely basic. He's vanilla and afraid of rubbing people the wrong way. Has no distinct style, it makes me cringe. I also sense a vibe that the pro's don't like him very much. Just comes across as all business.

I will say, his work ethic and motivation are second to none, and he's covered more major events than anyone else. Could do without the #needless hashtaging...you're like 40, act like it.

As much as I appreciate live coverage, two and a half hours is a long video to watch one round of disc golf. Once the round is over someone needs to introduce thediscgolfguy to thevideoeditorguy. All his stuff is comically long compared to ccdg, mcfly, etc. and I wondered why. Were all his youtube videos originally livecast?

As much as I appreciate live coverage, two and a half hours is a long video to watch one round of disc golf. Once the round is over someone needs to introduce thediscgolfguy to thevideoeditorguy. All his stuff is comically long compared to ccdg, mcfly, etc. and I wondered why. Were all his youtube videos originally livecast?
He posts the raw files from his live broadcast. Considering he streams on Youtube... its basically an automatic process that takes zero effort from the broadcaster.

From what I can tell it doesn't look like The Disc Golf Guy is looking to spend the time it would take to edit it down and upload it when there are other people covering these tournaments that specalize in doing exactly that... with better cameras.

Except that there aren't always other crews there, and he obviously commits A LOT of time and effort to covering disc golf already. Relative to actually walking the course with a three man camera crew, the extra time to do a basic edit is fairly minimal.
Its his project and he can appropriate his time however he wants, but I assume at least part of his goal is to have as many people view his vids as possible, either for love of the attention, or to attract sponsors, or just to #growthesport. All I'm saying is that if he could edit 18 holes down to under 90 minutes he might get more views, and that I personally would enjoy it more.
But hey, free content is free content, so...

I was also struck by the second camera guy getting extremely close to them while putting. I would be annoyed. They didn't seem so but i wondered if they were all thinking: "This guy isn't planning on doing this during our real rounds is he? Terry, tell this camera guy to get outta my line of sight!" But they all seemed like they were trying to be nice about it. The other thing i thought was interesting was Terry talking to players while they walk to their lie. Maybe he was just doing that cuz this was kind of an exhibition round... I would bet that there are many players who would be annoyed with him if he tries to do that while they are mid round just to fill dead air space. I would want my space to stay focused on the round. Not The Disc Golf Guy gabbing it up in my ear with questions that may make me second guess my game. It would be cool to have another Disc Golfer (not playing at that moment) who he could throw banter back and forth with.

I have been at a tournament with Terry around filming. At first, i was like oh hey it's the disc golf guy, but watching him film that day and sometimes in his other vids I do think he tends to carouse about with an air of arrogance that is unbecoming of, what seems like, a well respected commentator and media correspondent for Disc Golf. But we all know he huffs and puffs his way around the course to get us all the best coverage he can!

Otherwise, I gotta say props to those guys for doing what they do!!! I think they did as good job as they could with what they were working with, elements and all, and every effort to publicize and get live video coverage of Disc Golf needs to be applauded! Keep it up!

For every hour of raw footage, figure about an hour of editing at minimum. So a basic edit of a 3.5-4 hour tournament round probably takes at least three hours to cut down to a more "palatable" 45-90 minutes. That's without a whole lot of fancy graphics and overlays. Not really a minor effort at all.

Smashboxx does have some edited videos in its library, as does Terry's previous channel TheDiscGolfGuy, but its main thrust seems to be the live broadcasts. Seems redundant to go back and edit the live broadcast when it's already up there in its entirety (not to mention other channels will have their edited videos up in the same time frame).

I was also struck by the second camera guy getting extremely close to them while putting. I would be annoyed. They didn't seem so but i wondered if they were all thinking: "This guy isn't planning on doing this during our real rounds is he? Terry, tell this camera guy to get outta my line of sight!" But they all seemed like they were trying to be nice about it. The other thing i thought was interesting was Terry talking to players while they walk to their lie. Maybe he was just doing that cuz this was kind of an exhibition round... I would bet that there are many players who would be annoyed with him if he tries to do that while they are mid round just to fill dead air space.

Nate actually seemed to say something to him during the round. I didn't notice it until after I'd posted and was rewatching the video, but you can see him interacting with him, and it looks like he was laying out the "safe" spots to stand.

I was home yesterday from work and tried to watch this. I just can't do a live feed, its painful. Way too much down time, camera panning to a fence for no reason. Props for doing it but def not my cup of tea. I can gladly wait for an edited video.

DG Guy's commentary has always been extremely basic. He's vanilla and afraid of rubbing people the wrong way. Has no distinct style, it makes me cringe. I also sense a vibe that the pro's don't like him very much. Just comes across as all business.

I will say, his work ethic and motivation are second to none, and he's covered more major events than anyone else. Could do without the #needless hashtaging...you're like 40, act like it.

I don't know too much about the DG Guy - I've only recently started watching DG vids - but in the limited stuff I have seen from him, it seems he wants to be more friendly with the players as opposed to providing a truly objective standpoint.

Here's the rub with disc golf, though: He kind of has no choice. Disc golf is at that stage where the money for him to produce this content is being driven by sponsors rather than any independent sources. As a result, if he wants access, he has to be on the same team as these guys.

It's not just the DG Guy, though. Look at any "journalistic" endeavor in disc golf thus far, and you'll see the same thing. Has All Things Disc Golf ever written a review that's critical of a disc, or posed an interview question that is remotely pointed or difficult? No, because if they do, they lose their most valuable currency: access.

And it'll be the same in disc golf until some independent money comes in. It's why newspaper writers and columnists can fire off on athletes, but the talking heads on NFL Network say nary a negative word about Roger Goodell. Everyone in disc golf is in bed with everyone else out of necessity at this point, so you're not going to get any truly independent perspectives for fear of scaring someone off.

It's going to take someone with a little bit of money - and someone who isn't afraid to test the thickness of disc golf players' and manufacturers' collective skin - to move the coverage of the sport in a more professional direction.

For every hour of raw footage, figure about an hour of editing at minimum. So a basic edit of a 3.5-4 hour tournament round probably takes at least three hours to cut down to a more "palatable" 45-90 minutes. That's without a whole lot of fancy graphics and overlays. Not really a minor effort at all.

Smashboxx does have some edited videos in its library, as does Terry's previous channel TheDiscGolfGuy, but its main thrust seems to be the live broadcasts. Seems redundant to go back and edit the live broadcast when it's already up there in its entirety (not to mention other channels will have their edited videos up in the same time frame).

I get that editing time is 1:1 (although with practice and a fast laptop I think you can get it down to .75:1) but if you figure the hours he already has into creating that vid:
3hrs of filming x 3 guys=9hrs
At least an hour for travel, setup, coordinating with pros x 3 guys=3ish hrs
Creating an edited video only represents an extra 20-25% man hours, and its something one guy can do on a laptop at his leisure. And if the pool of people who can sit down and watch edited footage at 30-45 per 9 is larger than the pool of people who have the time to sit there for almost 3 hours watching everybody walk up the fairways at the exact time its happening then it would hardly be redundant and would allow him to reach a larger audience overall as well as a larger audience per man hour.

Live ball golf works well because they have multiple cameras covering multiple holes simultaneously, so even though you're watching live, any one camera crew is being presented very heavily edited so you aren't watching people walk from shot to shot.

Last edited:
Live ball golf works well because they have multiple cameras covering multiple holes simultaneously, so even though you're watching live, any one camera crew is being presented very heavily edited so you aren't watching people walk from shot to shot.
It also works because they have hundreds of millions of dollars from premiere sponsors like Exxon and ~50+ years of production experience broadcasting that sport.