• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LIVE COVERAGE-The Battle at Vista by SmashBoxxTV- Leiviska, Lizotte, McCray,Sexton

I get that editing time is 1:1 (although with practice and a fast laptop I think you can get it down to .75:1) but if you figure the hours he already has into creating that vid:
3hrs of filming x 3 guys=9hrs
At least an hour for travel, setup, coordinating with pros x 3 guys=3ish hrs
Creating an edited video only represents an extra 20-25% man hours, and its something one guy can do on a laptop at his leisure. And if the pool of people who can sit down and watch edited footage at 30-45 per 9 is larger than the pool of people who have the time to sit there for almost 3 hours watching everybody walk up the fairways at the exact time its happening then it would hardly be redundant and would allow him to reach a larger audience overall as well as a larger audience per man hour.

Live ball golf works well because they have multiple cameras covering multiple holes simultaneously, so even though you're watching live, any one camera crew is being presented very heavily edited so you aren't watching people walk from shot to shot.

I approached Terry about this last year when he DID edit one of his archived events to trim it down to a more tolerable length. He mentioned that he is not going to get into a habit of doing that, but he may do it for some of the bigger or more special events in the future.

What you have to realize is that this isn't the only thing that Terry does. Aside from Smashboxx live coverage he still does his Disc Golf Guy blogs, he runs tournaments, he does the Smashboxx video blog, and spends a lot of time promoting the sport in other areas. He also has two young kids that he has to help take care of. His plate is full. There isn't enough money in it at the moment where he can hire a guy to take the time out to edit the live coverage videos. Maybe down the road his business will grow to the point where he can afford to do that, but at the moment I think he's doing the best that he can.

There are other guys who published edited down rounds who do a fantastic job. I watch Terry's for the live broadcast, which is something not offered by others.. The memorial is going to be perfect: Terry will have the live feed, Marty will have the excellent quality edited version later that night. Im not getting ANYTHING done at work this week

Thanks for linking the vid, Aim. It's refreshing to see him not only owning up to the quality of his product (which wasn't even that bad once they worked out the initial kinks) but also taking the feedback as constructive criticism. I look forward to watching my productivity at work disappear this week and can't wait to see how the adjustments improve the stream!

Terry is the best disc golf broadcaster in the sport. The resources they must need and use would seem to be pretty endless. Lots of top companies getting behind what they are trying to do and IMO its a hell of an improved effort over that of DGP.(what did I pay for again anyway?)

also for anyone complaining about "live" coverage ... ever watched live feeds of their favorite event from ESPN3? Most of the time there is no commentary at all and the footage is exactly the same as seen here with rain delays and all..... TV edits "live" stuff very well due to the production side involved.

also for anyone complaining about "live" coverage ... ever watched live feeds of their favorite event from ESPN3? Most of the time there is no commentary at all and the footage is exactly the same as seen here with rain delays and all..... TV edits "live" stuff very well due to the production side involved.

I'd say people were expressing their opinions more than complaining. :eek:

I think it comes from the comparison people see between live DG coverage and the quality edits that come afterward. Never a problem to aim a little higher and hope for the best of both worlds, right? I think that's really what people are trying to say.

just expect reality is all I am saying. pretty sure these guys are working off wireless coverage lol.....

ESPN3's is no better outside of more (higher quality) cameras.

If I remember right, Al Michaels said it takes a staff of 90+ to air an episode of Monday Night Football. I dunno how many folks it takes to make movies of the current NFL season, but the creation of video at the level we expect on Broadcast TV is a ton ton ton of work and collaboration. Capture multiple angles, choose a narrative arc, write a script, direct and edit, or watch it now. If it were up to me, nobody'd watch anything. I'd probably drop my camera and sneak in a few throws. I appreciate having something to watch, though, I don't mind fast forwarding when needed.

Complaining about something you get for free - not me.

I wasn't complaining, I was just offering a suggestion for an additional video that I thought would have a high additional viewers/additional effort ratio. I don't think anybody expects espn production values and that wasn't the point of the comparison.

There's a lot of audio that would be missed if he chopped it. I'm actually kind of glad that he left it intact.

I don't know too much about the DG Guy - I've only recently started watching DG vids - but in the limited stuff I have seen from him, it seems he wants to be more friendly with the players as opposed to providing a truly objective standpoint.

Here's the rub with disc golf, though: He kind of has no choice. Disc golf is at that stage where the money for him to produce this content is being driven by sponsors rather than any independent sources. As a result, if he wants access, he has to be on the same team as these guys.

It's not just the DG Guy, though. Look at any "journalistic" endeavor in disc golf thus far, and you'll see the same thing. Has All Things Disc Golf ever written a review that's critical of a disc, or posed an interview question that is remotely pointed or difficult? No, because if they do, they lose their most valuable currency: access.

And it'll be the same in disc golf until some independent money comes in. It's why newspaper writers and columnists can fire off on athletes, but the talking heads on NFL Network say nary a negative word about Roger Goodell. Everyone in disc golf is in bed with everyone else out of necessity at this point, so you're not going to get any truly independent perspectives for fear of scaring someone off.

It's going to take someone with a little bit of money - and someone who isn't afraid to test the thickness of disc golf players' and manufacturers' collective skin - to move the coverage of the sport in a more professional direction.

Great insight.

I'll add one thing - even in sports journalism on bigger stages, there are some with access who don't want to risk losing it, and there are those with no access and nothing to lose. The walking on eggshells will never go away IMO, but it will be evened out by a fresh wave of people trying to make a name by firing across the bow. That said, even those with access will still ask more pointed questions instead of ONLY puff pieces.

just expect reality is all I am saying. pretty sure these guys are working off wireless coverage lol.....

ESPN3's is no better outside of more (higher quality) cameras.

It's not so much the cameras used as the signal. I'd bet the cameras Terry uses are 1080p quality but when the signal gets compressed to be sent via cell signal back to the production studio and then gets compressed again as it is processed and sent out to the youtube servers for streaming, the quality gets significantly degraded.

It's primarily the cell signal to blame for the 360p or less quality of the stream, though. If you watch DGP, the difference is easily noticeable between the roaming wireless camera(s) and the hardwired stationary cameras that are either pointed at Crazy and company or at a nearby hole. The hardwired shots are always sharper. Doesn't matter how strong the cell signal is either...the compression needed to send out the video signal remains the same whether there's one bar of 1X reception or full bars of 4G. The stronger signal really only ensures a more seamless stream without fewer drops and freezes.

ESPN3 has the advantage of having their cameras hard-wired into production as well as a much higher bandwidth output to the ESPN streaming servers. Their loss of picture quality is noticeably less as a result.

Latest posts