• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local Club's Points Series

DixieDG

Does your local club offer any type of points series of linked events? If so, how are they calculated and communicated?

We have a weekly random-draw doubles, with a points system. At the end of the season, the top points winners are entered into a 3-week championship series.

I'm going to answer your PM here, for the sake of anyone else who may want to join in.

Points are awarded as follows:

1 point for showing up
5 for 1st
3 for 2nd
1 for 3rd
1 point for each stroke under par (it's a low-score type of course, with winning scores usually -12 or better).

Points totals are kept on paper. It's really not as involved as it might seem. Each week, as players show up, the TD has the updated points totals.

Years ago they were also emailed to the webmaster, who updated the club website with a spreadsheet. This has been proposed to resume this year, as it's a valuable service.

Our state has a club in which we maintain the Green Mountain Point Series. A series of twelve tournaments throughout the summer that take place at various courses through out the state. A couple of the courses/clubs in the state maintain their own weekly leagues and have different ways of keeping track of weekly results but i think only one of them uses a PDGA sanctioned point system to track players results and ratings over the summer.

Here is a link to our site and how points are calculated etc.:http://www.gmdgc.org/gmps/

points are updated after events on a google docs based spread sheet so we can all see where we stand.

Charlotte DGC has a pretty elaborate one. Last year, the guy running it got ambitious and did it PDGA sanctioned, so the rounds were all rated, posted etc. He's on this site, so maybe he'll chime in what a nightmare it is TDing a small sactioned tournament most weeks, lol.

It's 3 "seasons," like 6-8 rounds per?, and there are points based on finish in each round, and also for participation (showing up,) per division, and then at the end there's a club championship where you get invited based on total points.

I dont know more details. The point totals weren't posted, or at least I never saw them, but obviously we had the rated rounds to see @ PDGA.com, so....

I think it's something simple, like 10/8/6/4/2 for the top 5/week/division, but I'm not sure. The invites to the championship are as much based on showing up regularly, I believe.

10 people show up

1st gets 10 points
2nd gets 9 points
etc etc

If there is a tie, you just reduce the placement points by one "series"

1st gets 10 points
2 people tie for 2nd, then both get 9
4th place (the next in line) gets 7 points
5th place gets 6 points
3 people tie for 6th, they each get 5 points
9th place gets 2 points
10th place gets 1 point

Say you run 5 events, you can drop the lowest 1, or 2, points from each persons overall score. Yes, the more people show up, the more points are available.

Sometimes we'll also add in "bonus" points, if you birdie/par the hardest hole on the course. And you never lose those points, even if that round is dropped.

I should say something about scale. The Columbia doubles I referred to, at its peak, averaged 32 people a week; I think nowadays it's 20-25 . Which is, in part, why it's just as easy to do it on paper.

Where league play is 50+ people, a spreadsheet may be more useful.

Cincinnati's Course Challenge Series is a monthly unsanctioned tourney series at nine local courses, with divisional points awarded for place of finish (low scores best). They take care of field size by giving no shows a point total equal to the largest attendance in your division, so that missing one event is the same as missing any other. Furthermore, they throw out your two lowest.

Weekly leagues use a pretty complex handicap system to even the field, but again award points for place of finish, etc. (though it's reversed so that high scores are better).

(for details, click the links...hope this helps!)

I've noticed that many clubs use Google docs or some other recording software and show results online via a PDF or HTML editing by whoever is in charge of the web site.
There seems there is a niche for clubs, small and large, to have a viable system in which they can advertise and communicate their events and results. I've researched a bit and it seems online points series resources are limited unless the event incorporates additional sanctioning fees of PDGA, SNDG, or similar organizations. Basically, players like to see "online" how they rank against their counter-parts and be able to track their past tournaments. Points series also generate return participation and extend the competition. I think a cheaper alternative to expensive sanctioning fees that provided these features would be welcomed and even expand competitions at the local level.

You should really check out Disc Golf Scene as it has been an amazing resource for all DG related activities in Michigan and is expanding to other states. We have points series in specific Clubs and then we also have the DGLA (Disc Golf League Association) that pool together a bunch of clubs under their umbrella and do a large point series. Foz Miller has done some outstanding work on the Scene.

Was just DGLA Michigan, but this year there is DGLA Ohio and DGLA Oregon point series being tracked as well. As far as I know DGS is a free to use website for all DG players. Tracks weekly events, tournaments, clubs, leagues, etc...

I run a weekly doubles league. Runs from mid march to mid sept. 27 weeks we track the top 18 for the season. Each player gets 2 points for attending and 1 point for every other player they beat. $6 to play with $5 going to weekly payout and the other $1 being split between a end of season party $.50 and season end payouts $.50. I payout the top 5 for the season. 1st 30%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 20%, 4th 15%, 5th 10% of money collected for season end payouts. I run the league as A/B/C random draw. I track it all on Disc Golf Scene. That site is great for league tracking. Many different options available. We run our annual bag tag league and our clubs other doubles league thru Disc Golf Scene. Wonderful site. Last year season if you want to take a look http://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/CPS_Dubs_2013

Scott Reek of the Dynamic Discs Kansas City store runs a points series for the DD Tournaments he runs in the KC Metro only. These are actual B or C tournaments, not league minis.

The Kansas City Mini Series is a series of events that are hosted by Dynamic Discs or other organizers that wish to be a part of the series. It is designed for players to be able to compete within the Kansas City area and be rewarded for a season of good play and a way for other players to measure their skill level.

The Kansas City Mini Series will consist of 9 events.
• SMP Frostbreaker Feb 8/9th, 2014 - https://www.facebook.com/events/375454372599180/
• Kan U Wyco March 8/9th, 2014 - https://www.facebook.com/events/738703939482405/
• Rosedale Open March 8/9th, 2014 - https://www.facebook.com/events/1403762593206784/
• City of Fountains April 19th, 2014
• Paradise Diamond May 17th, 2014
• Eastern Front July 12th, 2014
• Old Settlers August 30th, 2014
• Tree Love Classic, September 13th, 2014
• Mighty MO, October 11th, 2014

How the Kansas City Mini Series Works?
First, you attend the event and play just like you would do any other time. At the end of the event, Dynamic Discs will take the results and give points based on how many people you have a better score than overall.
If you have the best score of the tournament, then you would have beaten 100% of the field, which would give you 100 points. If you beat 85% of the tournament, than you will be awarded 85 points and so on.
You are awarded points based on your best 4 out of 9 events. The top 40% of the players who attend 3 of the 7 events will be awarded an end of season bonus payout.

This structure allows you to be rewarded for a season of good play and is not dictated by a single event.

Which Divisions will be available?
All divisions will be offered as long as the division has the required amount of players (3) to complete a division. If a division that is offered below does not have at least three players who have played in 4 of the 9 events, that division will be merged with the closest division.

What if I play in multiple divisions?
A person will be assigned to the division in which they have competed the majority of the time in or have declared they are officially moving up. The division that was played the majority of the time for the four events they are receiving points for will be the division assigned. If they have equally two different divisions (Example, 2 Intermediate and 2 Advanced), you will be placed in the division that your average is the highest in)

For example, if a players plays an open tournament and receives 80 points and has 3 advanced events with points of 85, 87 and 90, then this player would be assigned to the Advanced Division. Dynamic Discs will monitor this as much as possible to keep competition fair.

What are the rewards per division?
All Pro Divisions will be awarded with Cash and Amateur Divisions will be awarded with Dynamic Discs Gift Certificates.

Facebook Group Page for the Kansas City Mini Series
https://www.facebook.com/KansasCityMiniSeries

He's on here as scottreek if you have any questions

Have visited the Charlotte, GreenMountain and Cincinnati sites and have to say members that enjoy the benefits of these clubs/sites are all blessed.

The reason this thread was started is that I have been involved in the development of a mysql database system where events are registered, results are uploaded via a excel spreadsheet, and events rankings and points are automatic. Results are available immediately without the need of site admin approval. TD has backend access to edit event details and results. We have also been able to provide league points series where regular events can be linked for a "points series" within the overall points series. Points are accumulated: 2 to participate, 1 point for every played beaten within the division, and 1 point for 1st place. Results can be filtered by player, tournament, league, division, and State. Lot's of possibilities

Limited beta testing has been smooth. We are implementing a user module for a player ID# to prevent name/score duplication, event pre-registration, and a simple player ranking calculation that addresses if a player regularly places high within his division.

Our goal is to offer an alternative tournament advertising and results option for clubs that don't want or need sanctioning fees .... they just want to hold events and still have the features of online data.

We believe there's a real need for economical online tournament data without being tied to any particular sanctioning authority. There are hundreds of clubs with no means whatsoever of these type features. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions ......

How flexible is the points system? Some places don't base it on "number of players beaten", which punishes players for low turnout. Some may want to weight factors differently. Our state points system takes the top-12 scores; beyond that, worst scores are dropped; and it weighs 4-round events more than 2-rounds. And so on.

Points system is a function within the DB code so it's not flexible at all .... you win with 4 in your division, 6 points! Win with 40 in your division, 42 points! Quite similar to Southern Nationals system but with an extra point tacked on for wins. Was seeking a standardized system whether high or low turn outs participate.

Also similar to the old PDGA system and, to a lesser degree, the current points system.

You've got a limitation on widespread adoption. If leagues or tournament series like that points system, great. But if they prefer a different one, whether slightly different or radically different, you've lost them.

Latest posts