• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local Disc Golf Clubs

Ewb46

Birdie Member
Just wanted to get a feel for what you may think about your local club. Do they get the job done, happy with them, or do they fight like a bunch of 16 year old girls? Just wanted to see if my local spot puts the fun in dysfunctional?

My "Local" Club is, to be nice, being ran into the ground by its current president. However I joined The Columbus Flyers and you would be hard pressed to find a classier bunch of guys (and gals). The best advice I can give is to play in weekly or monthly events to see if you agree with what they are doing before committing your time and especially your money

There is a local club here...I have made extensive attempts to contact them about membership/setting up play dates/etc, but never get any return calls, so to hell with them. I'll keep my money for things like more discs.

clubs? around here we have gangs.. don't be caught wearing red on the course this side of town!

There is a local club here...I have made extensive attempts to contact them about membership/setting up play dates/etc, but never get any return calls, so to hell with them. I'll keep my money for things like more discs.

We have a local forum board where it turns into a bitch fest no matter what they are doing. Seems like everyone has issues with the board. Just tired of watching projects get proposed and sat on for 2 plus years with no form of anyone agreeing. I think it is a good thing to have one, but it really feels like congress will balance a budget before they get their ish together.

Got a tourney tomorrow, we'll see. I am a member, but more of a fringe member. From what I've witnessed it's a very dysfunctional, ineffective group. Next year I may just get a CDSA tag or some other group out of Denver. We'll see. I could be completely blown away by their organization and professionalism tomorrow, something I'm not impressed with watching the regular league play.

The Twin Cities has a great group called DGnuts...

Website, events, traveling league, custom stamped plastic at below retail prices, guy who does any dye job, PDGA membership discount, dedicated players of all skill levels, sponsored by Surly and Summit (and a bunch of others), keg party in the winter to bridge the gap between seasons... It's pretty awesome

Our local club is quite functional and effective. We owe a lot to a good club president.

If you don't like the local club, start your own.
No rules against it, and you may find it more fulfilling to work rather than complain.
If you want something done, get some buddies together and just do it.

That path is not the easiest, but better in the long run.

Our local club seems to run pretty well. While the number of courses we oversee (one from 2004-2007; now we have 4-18 hole courses, a 9 hole course and two more being built over the winter) has increased the amount of members getting out and helping on work days has decreased.

Our local group holds a fair amount of tournaments, the pros are really great and helpful, but I think the tournaments are a little messy compared to others...

Columbus Flyers

*Post #1100*

The problem around here is that everyone seems to want something different out of disc golf.

Some just want to have fun, throw plastic at metal, and socialize with other golfers
Some want friendly competition without spending much money
Some want to play more competitively for more money
Some don't like the way the money is handled by club leaders
Some folks just can't get along with each other because of personal drama

So we end up with a bunch of poorly organized clubs with low membership, no PDGA events, and a divided disc golf community. Sad, but true.

Benevolent dictatorship teams many times function better than democratic clubs. The trick is finding the benevolent ones among your disc golf movers and shakers in your area.

I deem my local club is the best club. Great leader and great ppl. Could not ask for anything better. Hey and I always get my entry fee back bc most of the time I am the only girl that shows up. Check us out the MDGA: http://www.mckinneydiscgolf.org/. We also were voted top 5 disc golf websites.

We have a local forum board where it turns into a bitch fest no matter what they are doing. Seems like everyone has issues with the board. Just tired of watching projects get proposed and sat on for 2 plus years with no form of anyone agreeing. I think it is a good thing to have one, but it really feels like congress will balance a budget before they get their ish together.

Yeah...I'm looking around now for a place to put up another course altogether. I never even made it to the part to where I find out if they are functional or not because, as I mentioned, they won't return calls, etc. I've talked to a couple people who are not affiliated though, and they all had mostly negative stuff to say. I'm supposed to shoot in my first ever tournament tomorrow, and the local club is the one hosting, so I reckon I'll get my chance to find out for myself what they're like.

Clubs are the way to go. People coming together to clarify
and stamp disc golf as a group activity give a lot of validation
to our sport. Going rogue only isolates us more.

Clubs are the way to go. People coming together to clarify
and stamp disc golf as a group activity give a lot of validation
to our sport. Going rogue only isolates us more.

pretty close to a haiku
or sh1tty poetry
go rouge

:popcorn:

Ok that was my crappy poetry. Don't be a tool or a lemming. If your local club doesn't do right don't feel obligated to join or participate in their activities. If you don't have the time or energy to start a separate club that may run into conflicts you can always try to overthrow it from the inside. Or if you are very apathetic to groups or squabbling children you can just ignore them. (I go with the last). Disc golf is actually about as much a group sport as Ball golf is, you don't need anyone else to play it. Sometimes it's fun to throw with others but it's not a requirement.