• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long putt or Ace?

Emptying your bag on a 50' hole and hitting one is not an "Ace", that's called "practice". Actually it doesn't matter what the distance is, that's still practice.

ERic
Exactly. 1st shot goes in for an Ace. Anything else is practice.

Good question. You can certainly call it an ace if you make it in from the designated tee box. However, I don't think it's anything to write home about unless it is at least a 200 foot hole...maybe less depending on the degree of difficulty.

Anyway, back to the topic. First throw = ace - no matter the distance. Emptying bag = no ace - no matter the distance.

I think that is a pretty accepted measure.

I disagree. If you make it in from the tee box, it doesn't matter how many throws you've taken for practice it is still an ace. I'm not one of those guys that does this trying to rack up aces. I've only got three and they were all in the course of a round. I still don't see how you can discredit the ace no matter how many throws they took.
I will say that aces made in the course of a round are much more impressive given the risk/reward element that exists in a round and that does not exist in practice.

and I do agree with a newer player who maybe hits an ace on a short hole on an easy course, as long as it was their first shot

but if a pro came up to me and said he aced a 50' hole, I would laugh at him - most pros practice 50' putts

Where on earth do 50 foot holes exist? That's not even disc golf. That's just putting. I think that the shortest hole I've ever seen has got to be no shorter than 140ft or so; and that's on a course that nobody even considers a true course...just a practice course. The shortest I can think of on a full blown course around here is about 200 ft.

90 feet, that's like throwing from home plate to first base, that's ridiculously short.

theres a fence right in front of the tee pad and a large oak tree to the side that has a huge branch that drops down so it is a little challanging.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/1075/6aab5a31.jpg

here is the pic i took of the hole. the sun is coming down right over the branch.

That's a long putt, not a hole. That thing needs to be changed. Is there not room at that course to make the hole longer?

That's a long putt, not a hole. That thing needs to be changed. Is there not room at that course to make the hole longer?

its a small 9 hole course at a county park that borders the zoo, so im not too concerned about it. im just glad there is a course that within 15 minutes of me.

If Im using a Putting stance off the teepad I dont count it as an ace(basically 100' and in). Also I dont consider aces from AceRace tournaments to count.

After 180' or so then if I empty my bag on a hole just making ace runs and hit one thats an ace.

With all that being said I have zero aces.

Lol man, you guys are cracking me up with this whole "it's not an ace unless" arguement.

So let me get this right. You throw a second shot in a casual round and it goes in, do you go back and say " I just practiced hole 11!? I think you would say you aced it. We may as well just go ahead and say it doesn't even count unless you are playing in a sanctioned PDGA event. Every other said "ace" IS merely "practice".....right? :rolleyes:

Lol man, you guys are cracking me up with this whole "it's not an ace unless" arguement.

Seems like every messageboard always has this arguement. It's not like you get a medal on your chest for every ace you get so if YOU get an ace by unloading your bag and you're really proud of it then stay proud of it. Don't let anyone take that feeling away from you.

As far as a round goes of course only the first throw is going to count on the scorecard and I think we can all agree on that.

If I'm proud enough to retire the disc (regardless of how I got the bucket) then I'm calling it an ace. (Where's the middle finger emoticon.)

At least no one's said, "I've been playing for ____ months/years and I still don't have an ace yet," on this thread. Nothing worse than entitlement.

It's an ace if you throw it off the teebox and into the basket... some aces are better aces than others. My shortest ace is on a 120' hole -- tight line through trees that isn't a gimme. You can't run a putt at it. You either have to huck it through to run the ace (and take a 3 if you miss) or hike your skirt up and take the deuce. Still, it's only 120', so nothing to write home about.

On the other hand, I've got several dueces that are much cooler than aces (IMHO), on holes ranging from 640-675. I don't have a big arm, and when those dueces go in at that range, it's usually a 250-350' shot that lands in the basket.

Taking the lowest common denominator approach, if you nail one from the tee, it is an ace, regardless of distance or experience. It could be your first throw or the last. Short hole or long hole. If you empty your bag, it is still an ace. But I agree with brokensaint that you should put any ace in context. My preference would be to nail my first ace with all my buddies there to see it. That way, I can strut a little and talk some serious trash since none of them have an ace yet.

Why wouldn't you count Ace Race, Aces? Its only one throw per hole, per round from 150-250ft. I have zero Aces any way you count them, but I've come close to few aces in practice and competition. I mean yeah its way cooler to have them in a competition, but its still cool to have one while practicing.

So let me get this right. You throw a second shot in a casual round and it goes in, do you go back and say " I just practiced hole 11!? I think you would say you aced it. We may as well just go ahead and say it doesn't even count unless you are playing in a sanctioned PDGA event. Every other said "ace" IS merely "practice".....right? :rolleyes:

Wrong. It is practice if you are shooting the same shot from the same spot repeatedly without moving ahead in your round of golf. It doesn't have to be a PDGA sanctioned round to be legit. A true, honorable ace comes in a round of disc golf in which you are playing by the rules.
Like I said before, I'd count it an ace even if it was practice, but the ones that come in a true round are much more special.

It's an ace if you throw it off the teebox and into the basket... some aces are better aces than others. My shortest ace is on a 120' hole -- tight line through trees that isn't a gimme. You can't run a putt at it. You either have to huck it through to run the ace (and take a 3 if you miss) or hike your skirt up and take the deuce. Still, it's only 120', so nothing to write home about.

On the other hand, I've got several dueces that are much cooler than aces (IMHO), on holes ranging from 640-675. I don't have a big arm, and when those dueces go in at that range, it's usually a 250-350' shot that lands in the basket.

I agree, that is just as great of a feeling as hitting an ace. Even better than sinking a 120 foot ace from the teebox.

Chris, did you dad tell you about my pracitce "ace" on 18 at the Alex Clark? It was back in April before a mini. I was just using the fairway to warm up my arm and my first shot takes some stupid line through a Y in the tree to the right of the teebox and goes in the basket. I grab another Buzzz and just tried to repeat the throw out of curiosity, took the same line and hit the pan. James is almost a good luck charm for me. I've got another good story of something I did with him hanging out with me recently, must have thrown a disc 500'.

Latest posts